To do this, I had to actually solve all the 289 cubes (not the solid colored ones, of course) I did all the cubes from a completely solved state, except maybe a few, to make it as authentic as possible. I you look closely, you might find some mistakes, but I worked hard to make it authentic.
I then made individual pictures for all sides in the same way as the original picture, and I then applied the textures to the 3D animation. Doing it this way took a lot less computing power, as there is only one giant cube with six textures, plus one for the black plastic.
The Picasa gallery
is now updated with the rest of the sides, and two cool pictures that I stumpled upon during the creation