• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Speedsolving.com App?

Cheese11

WCA
2011KULC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You can go on speedsolving through an internet browser, which all, as far as I'm aware of, smart phones have. And if you don't have internet, than you couldn't get online through an app anyway.

I know, thats what I'm doing right now. But the smartphone browsers are slow and ineffiecient. Imagine having to go on Facebook with you smartphone browser, that would just suck, since the site is not made for SP browsers.

collinbxyz

WCA
2010BURN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I know, thats what I'm doing right now. But the smartphone browsers are slow and ineffiecient. Imagine having to go on Facebook with you smartphone browser, that would just suck, since the site is not made for SP browsers.

1. I don't use facebook
2. It'd be the same internet speed; same phone and internet access = same speed
3. Speedsolving looks and acts fine even in smartphone browsers. It's not hard to navigate through at all

IamWEB

WCA
2009BOAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Facebook has a mobile site though, which you should automatically be directed to when you got to the site on a phone.
Speedsolving mobile version does exist, you choose it from the skin selection area. It just lacks all of the features of the regular/full site.

Btw the regular site really isn't too hard to navigate well on, thanks to text resizing from zooming on smarthphones... imo.

Still, mobile site should be fine? An app sounds cool, but what would we do with it that can't be done on the mobile site?
Seems like a cubing app w/ internet connectivity would be interesting, but the matter at hand is the speedsolving forums.

Robocopter87

WCA
2013KUNK01
What you are asking doesn't make sense. An app for a website? If the phone has apps then it most likely hasa mobile browser and if it has that you can get to the website. Why would you pay for an app that you have access to normally?

And what would be the benefit of having an app that sends you to this website? What difference would there be from the normal website?

Now, if you are interested in a nice cube timer app, iiTimer is available. Its awesome. I also carry a little guide with my F2l, Oll, and Pll apps in called "Cube" by Pierce Vallieres. It has a timer but not with all the cool features as iiTimer. It also has Coll algs.

There really isn't any reason for making a speedsolving app. There is no benefit and if the phone or ipod can get apps then it has internet. And its not as if making an App for the site would increase loading times.

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
Opera browser for phone is very efficient. I'm typing this on my HTC wildfire which is a terrible and slow phone, and I have no difficulties, and it is actually very fast.
@whoever made the mobile site, it's great, except there's a glitch that I, and the glitch happens on different smartphones on different browsers, about half of the imbedded videos get removed and replaced with a link "YouTube video". The link is a dead end however.

Edit: "mobile style dartho".

Bryan

Premium Member
WCA
2007LOGA01
What you are asking doesn't make sense. An app for a website?

Yeah, it'd be dumb if IMDB, Redbox, Wikipedia, Wolfram Alpha, Google Maps, etc. all had apps. Oh wait, they do. That's because having an app allows you to do some things better than just a website would do. You don't need to do the overhead of the site layout each time (saves bandwidth) and you can customize some things that just wouldn't be possible in a regular webpage.

However, it's really not needed for speedsolving. There are generic forum apps that can handle things for you.

Robocopter87

WCA
2013KUNK01
I totally agree with you, however you misread me. I'm saying for THIS website. Looks like I wasn't specific enough. All those other websites are used to do specific things while this is merely a forum, there isn't any point in making an App for Speedsolving because it just doesn't improve anything.

Now, for a better question, can we make an App for alg.garron.us? That would be pretty boss.

Carson

Premium Member
WCA
2008PENT01
I would much prefer an app to navigating the site in a mobile browser, however I hardly think it justifies the amount of effort that would be required in someone writing it. I feel the mobile version of the site is a nice compromise.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
There is currently a huge amount of development going into mobile web around the world (especially since mobile web will soon be used more than desktop web). It won't be long before this forum is used more on a mobile phone than on a desktop computer. A good free solution to this will soon(ish) exist. For now, use m.speedsolving.com, or just browse this forum regularly using a regular browser.

@whoever made the mobile site, it's great, except there's a glitch that I, and the glitch happens on different smartphones on different browsers, about half of the imbedded videos get removed and replaced with a link "YouTube video". The link is a dead end however.
Edit: "mobile style dartho".
Is "mobile style dartho" the mobile theme that comes up with you go to m.speedsolving.com? I will attempt to solve this if you give me a bit more details.

There is an ios app for vBulletin which is the software that runs this site. But the forum needs to be configured for the app to work.
If I'm not mistaken, this app is specifically for the vbulletin.com forums, and not any forum using vbulletin software (it has been out for awhile). I know vbulletin just built a mobile suite, but it is $199 so I have not upgraded until I get all my other projects finished.

Does Tapatalk work with this forum?
Yes, it should, according to what I have read up on it. I hate browse apps like this that you have to pay for though, so I won't be doing much development on this.