• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Random scramble generator

Goosly

WCA
2010VERE01
Hi,

This afternoon, I wrote a random scramble generator in C++. I've finished the first year of my computer science study, so this was just to see if I could actually program something useful. :p
The user is asked to give the amount of scrambles he desires and a scramble length (>= 20). The program then randomly creates moves and writes those to a .txt file.

Downloadlink for the .exe file
Downloadlink for the .cpp file

Feel free to take a look at the cpp file and give me tips/comments. Thanks :)

Edit: I will actually use this for BLD. I like to have the scrambles when doing BLD, but I haven't found a program yet that just creates a bunch of scrambles.

Last edited:

Goosly

WCA
2010VERE01
Nice. Yet, I have one sheet with 114 scrambles now. :)
What do you think of my code? Is 20 * picking a random move (+ throwing away things like F' F2 or R' L2 R) good enough to call it a 'random scramble'?

Walter Souza

WCA
2010SOUZ01
I needed a printable page with like ~100 scrambles for BLD. I don't think Prisma Puzzle Timer can do that.

Yes, it can. There is an 'Export...' button on the scramble queue window.

Prisma has some scramblers you might be interested in (corners only, edges only, single sticker cycle).

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is 20 * picking a random move (+ throwing away things like F' F2 or R' L2 R) good enough to call it a 'random scramble'?

25 has been the standard since at least 2003 or so, I think 20 is bad and one shouldn't practice with that. Ideally, though, use a random state scrambler (like Prisma's).

josh42732

What does the program look like? I'd like to see if I can create my own but I'm not used to computer language, only scientific calculator.