• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Detailed Karma

Athefre

There have been talks to implement Karma into the site. I think it could be detailed to fit the forum. A list of positive, specific descriptions that show how a site member has been helpful. Call them Ribbons, Badges, Medals, Honors, or whatever feels most appropriate for SpeedSolving.

CFOP Knowledgeable
Roux Knowledgeable
Puzzle Theorist
BLD Helper
General Helper

When the site member clicks the "Add Karma" or "Rate" button/link, there could be a drop down menu (such as what happens when a member clicks “Rate This Thread”) where users would select one or more of the above options. This would add one point to the respective category. Of course each member can only rate a post once, and there would be more than those five categories. The Karma category list and points received would be shown on each member's profile page. I think that this detailed Karma system would be a great complement to the private forum.

asportking

YouTube
Visit Channel
As long as they don't give members special "privileges," I think this would be a really nice addition. I bet we could make up a lot of "medals" that could be awarded, some serious, and some not-so-serious. "Master of sarcasm" seems like a fun one to give out.

Last edited:

Ltsurge

Don't like to rain in on the parade but I don't like the idea. I just think its too like the admission to the private forum which I'm not opposed to. If we make "achievement" medals, shouldn't the reward just be admission into the private forum?

Athefre

Don't like to rain in on the parade but I don't like the idea. I just think its too like the admission to the private forum which I'm not opposed to. If we make "achievement" medals, shouldn't the reward just be admission into the private forum?

Karma and the private forum are not linked as far as I know. I said it would be a good compliment, but I didn't suggest that Karma be used as the initiation into the private forum. Though I don't see a problem with that, since it wouldn't end up that the only way a member can be admitted is through large Karma numbers.

This is only a way of showing why a forum member has gotten the Karma they have. How that member has been helpful.

Cubetastic

YouTube
Visit Channel
maybe with the medals a pro would be, well here's a situation

"Dude whos here: O NOES! stuck at this point in 3x3, HALP
Other dude who's title is 2x2 WIZARD: Wat? read mah title bro, come to me with 2x2 D:
Dude whos here: Sorry i should have read it, these achievments are so helpful!

But another Scenario

"Dude who goes power crazy cuz achievement is like mass:Hehehe you think that would be a good idea for this forum? Well, YOU SHALL NOT PASS!!!!!
Other dude: Sorry i just joined I don't know all the rules yet
Dude who goes power crazy: problem?

Those are 2 possible scenarios, The second one i dont think would happen because peeps be nice here, but the first is a good idea for achievements