• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Proposition - Let's fix some cubing terms!

Mollerz

Swag Overlord
WCA
2011MOLL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok so, Skewb.

I'm sure there are like 8 Z Perms. We need to standardise algs and their names, I've seen so many different ones for the same things. The only ones that are pretty much fixed are U Perm, Pi, Pure Pi and Peanut.

So let's sort this out. Learning Skewb is annoying right now :p

TMOY

WCA
2008COUR01
Ok so, Skewb.

I'm sure there are like 8 Z Perms.
What exactly do you call a Z-perm ? For me the definition is pretty clear: two pairs of adjacet centers swapped, with the two solved ones being opposite to each other.

Even counting all possible double 2-cycles of centers, I see only 5: opp-opp (H-perm), the Z-perm described above, opp-adj and the two adj-adj with adjacent solved centers (mirroring each other).

Ranzha

Friendly, Neighbourhoodly
WCA
2009HARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok so, Skewb.

I'm sure there are like 8 Z Perms. We need to standardise algs and their names, I've seen so many different ones for the same things. The only ones that are pretty much fixed are U Perm, Pi, Pure Pi and Peanut.

So let's sort this out. Learning Skewb is annoying right now :p

There are only three Z-perms, but different locations dependent on cube orientation.

The way I've been referring to them has been that "Z" refers to F-R B-L (or equivalent), "Za" refers to F-R B-D (or equivalent), and "Zb" refers to F-R L-D (or equivalent).

What really troubles me is the notation for skewb. "R" can mean one of three things, depending on notation (acubist, FCN/FCeN, Rubik'skewb).

You guys should try to make up single-letter names for all the center permutations. How many different ones are there? Can we assume the bottom center is solved? (I don't do Skewb)

There are 14 unsolved cases covered under the umbrella of L5C:
U, Oa, Ob, H, Z, "my" H, Za, Zb, Swirl-a, Swirl-b, Wat-a, Wat-b, X-a, X-b.

As much as I hate to use my method as an excuse, it's not safe to assume the bottom centre is solved, which is why I included the D centre in my descriptions of the Za and Zb L4C cases.

Mollerz

Swag Overlord
WCA
2011MOLL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
There are only three Z-perms, but different locations dependent on cube orientation.

I was exaggerating to make a point but yeah, 3 Z perms is still silly, why not S, what's wrong with that. Also H and "Your" H is another problem. For L5C, I've never seen anyone else call them Swirl or Wat (And why aren't they letters, the whole point of at least PLL was to name them after letters, wouldn't it make sense to stick with that?

Ranzha

Friendly, Neighbourhoodly
WCA
2009HARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I was exaggerating to make a point but yeah, 3 Z perms is still silly, why not S, what's wrong with that. Also H and "Your" H is another problem. For L5C, I've never seen anyone else call them Swirl or Wat (And why aren't they letters, the whole point of at least PLL was to name them after letters, wouldn't it make sense to stick with that?

Since the methods were (more or less) independently developed, there's a lot of naming conventions from different methods that don't make as much sense when put side by side.

I propose:
U, Oa, Ob
H, Z, T, Ja, Jb
Ga, Gb, Ka, Kb, Xa, Xb.

Same order as last time.

Now about skewb notation.
As far as I know it, there are 7 notation schemes, and it gets really annoying to have to constantly ask "What notation?" Whenever anyone posts anything.
I propose that WCA FCN become the standard for scrambling, and rubik'skewb be the standard notation for solutions i.e. in reconstructions

Last edited:

Mollerz

Swag Overlord
WCA
2011MOLL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I agree with what Ranzha is suggesting, that at least keeps it in like with the notation given to PLL and so we have our standard.

For scramble notation, if WCA FCN becomes the norm then it helps competitions run better since people don't use a different notation outside of competition (Think clock).

For reconstructions, Rubikskewb notation is very good as it makes sense given skewb at its core is not defined by its faces, but by its axes of rotation, a very good point made by Ranzha.

Also I think given the chosen notations people could be tripped up with U and D. I think the problem with U and D is the way skewb is engineered and our connection to U and D being standard moves on pretty much every single puzzle. And I agree with lower case letters being used that for example something like RB, as they are both already moves on the puzzle.