• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

These Forums are Becoming Awful

Status
Not open for further replies.

ianography

WCA
2009BOUR01
The current condition of SpeedSolving is terrible. It has gone from a place of information and for people seeking help to putting others down and, oftentimes, trolling.

A lot of cubers tend to think too highly of themselves. It may be from being popular on YouTube, being well-known on the forum, or doing something most other people haven't done. In any case, they all share one thing in common: They are full of it.

Now, if you are one of those things I had mentioned above but you are still humble (I won't name who is and isn't), then I commend you, as it is a little difficult to be. I myself can't help being a jerk sometimes.

This leads me to my next topic: how we treat each other. I've seen some really vicious behavior go on between members here. Here's something I saw on the US Nationals 2013 thread:

Anonymous User said:
http://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/s.../takomaparkms/
Which is Takoma park middle school. they'd probably be happy to host and organize the competition.
They have school competitions themselves. We're in Maryland

Bob said:
Ooh! What about Random Pre-K School! Wait, they'd be happy to organize the competition, too? Well, we've been doing it wrong all these years. We usually have a staff of experienced cubers, but if we can get the staff of Takoma Park middle school to organize it, that will free us all up for the 3 days. That's exciting!

Now, how is this kind and courteous in any way? It's just rude and sarcastic. What should've been said was something along the lines of, "Wow, that's fantastic that that school is supportive of cubing. Although, this isn't really what the WCA delegates are looking for, as they want a large venue, such as a University. Also, from what I can tell, this seems to count as your backyard, and that isn't what the WCA is looking for either. But thanks for the suggestion!"

See what I mean? Like the Golden Rule says, "Treat others like you want them to treat you". anyway, please act more civilized and be nice to one another.

Hope this gets better,

-Ian

Last edited:

Bapao

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Nothings changed that much since Aug 2010 IMO. There certainly was a negative peak just recently, but I think things have settled back down quite a bit. The vibe's pretty balanced at the moment...thunder before the storm? I ain't hearin' it...

Last edited:

JonWhite

so we're just noticing these things? we didn't notice them over 9000 years ago?

DavidWoner

The Punchmaster
WCA
2008WONE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Now, how is this kind and courteous in any way? It's just rude and sarcastic. What should've been said was something along the lines of, "Wow, that's fantastic that that school is supportive of cubing. Although, this isn't really what the WCA delegates are looking for, as they want a large venue, such as a University. Also, from what I can tell, this seems to count as your backyard, and that isn't what the WCA is looking for either. But thanks for the suggestion!"

Maybe if it hadn't already been outlined a dozen times in every US Nats planning thread that you 1) Don't post your backyard 2) Don't suggest your middle school which clearly won't accommodate 3) Just don't.

If people read threads before posting in them then we wouldn't have most of the problems we do.

Rpotts

WCA
2010POTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Instead of spending time making a thread complaining about the quality of the forums why don't you make a thread contributing to the quality of the forums?

emolover

WCA
2009MAHO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Instead of spending time making a thread complaining about the quality of the forums why don't you make a thread contributing to the quality of the forums?

Like what? Most topics have already been discussed. If he made a new one of the same topic then he might get flamed and that would make things even worse.

These threads point out the flaws of the forum, people need to know it.

danthecuber

WCA
2011SELZ01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Why can't moderators infract people that post rude and/or degrading comments towards another person? Forum rule 1a should allow that to happen.
a. No Flaming or Trolling:
Respect other users and try to contribute to a nice ambiance on the forum. No personal attacks, or provocation of other forum members. If you are being attacked or provoked, do not feel compelled to defend your honor here; report the offender to a moderator.

StachuK1992

statue
WCA
2008KORI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Okay, I have to point out a difference between his thread an my thread, because apparently you guys don't get it.

My thread: users on this forum should actually be punished for their actions! I wish this place was better quality!
This thread: users on this forum are mean! I wish you weren't so mean!

These are entirely different things.

Also, we do infract people for being jerks. I'd say 3/4 of the infractions I've given out so far were for jerks being jerks.

Status
Not open for further replies.