• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

PJKCuber

WCA
2014KULK02
Is there any point learning and using K4 as a speedsolving method? Reduction is boring, Yau centers are too hard and I don't like Hoya?
How can I improve my Yau centers and get sub 2 on 4x4? Practice isn't helping.

WCA
2014BLOC01
Is there any point learning and using K4 as a speedsolving method? Reduction is boring, Yau centers are too hard and I don't like Hoya?

Practice. It's rarely not the answer to how to get faster.

Practice will help, you just have to give it some time. It took me something like 300+ solves to become sub-2. Keep working on it.

yoinneroid

WCA
2010UTOM01
YouTube
Visit Channel

while k4 is worthwhile for a speedsolving method, having yau centers as too hard for you will not help you go far at k4...

oh, and if practice isn't helping, watch example solves (faz's?)
understand as much as you can, why did he do the stuffs he did on the solve, and... I guess ignore the rest that you don't understand
then do a decent sized session (I think 50 is a good number at your speed)
when you are done, rewatch the example solve, you should be able to understand more

and if you are bored with the routine, try practice 4x4 speedscrambling, it may not help much in your solves, but it should help reducing the time you take during large sessions

Last edited:

guysensei1

WCA
2014WENW01
Can someone give me an alg that will swap the position of the hidden center pieces? (the 'equivalent' of doing M E M' E' on a 3x3, but the position of other hidden pieces on a 4x4 does not matter, just the centers)

YouTube
Visit Channel
or mine now :p I have to upload parts of the series like 3-2-3 and stuff but parity and yau are complete : Check my channel!
I would like to use yau method. Which tutorial should i watch : cbc's or Jacob Hutnyk's?

OK, So my question is, how do you guys complete the last edge after making all the centres of yau? How I do it is that I make both the edge pieces come on U layer with one piece white facing towards up and other one with white facing towards side and do it.It is not very fast and sometimes I have to find for white pieces so is there any other way for it?

Also, I average 1:30 currently, how to get to around 1:00 ? Currently I am learning half centres!
Thanks for your help!

goodatthis

WCA
2014CAVA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
or mine now :p I have to upload parts of the series like 3-2-3 and stuff but parity and yau are complete : Check my channel!

OK, So my question is, how do you guys complete the last edge after making all the centres of yau? How I do it is that I make both the edge pieces come on U layer with one piece white facing towards up and other one with white facing towards side and do it.It is not very fast and sometimes I have to find for white pieces so is there any other way for it?

Also, I average 1:30 currently, how to get to around 1:00 ? Currently I am learning half centres!
Thanks for your help!

For your last cross edge, it really depends on where it is, but Jacob Hutnyk (Yoshinator) has a good video on it. The key, in my mind, is to be flexible.

I have a question that I would like to ask:

How long/how much practice does it take to get better at yau? I am horribly inconsistent at yau, one solve I'll be in the 1:30s, and the other I'll be in the 1:50s. I currently use (although I'm trying to switch) a yau-redux hybrid, where I solve centers and cross edges exactly as I would with basic edge-by-edge redux, then I use Yau the rest of the way. I average sub 1:30 with it, about 1:25.

RjFx2

I need help with 4x4, I'm going to a competition soon and want to be under the soft cutoff of 1:15 in three weeks. I average around 2:20 right now, sometimes just barely getting 3 minute solves. The hard cutoff is 2:30 so I want to get no solves over that. My fastest single time is only 1:27, I don't know if I can get under 1:15, but i want to try to.

ChickenWrap

YouTube
Visit Channel
I need help with 4x4, I'm going to a competition soon and want to be under the soft cutoff of 1:15 in three weeks. I average around 2:20 right now, sometimes just barely getting 3 minute solves. The hard cutoff is 2:30 so I want to get no solves over that. My fastest single time is only 1:27, I don't know if I can get under 1:15, but i want to try to.

That is a hard goal, but it may be possible. You would want to try Hoya/Yau if you don't already use one of those methods. Other than that, getting familiar with your method and doing tons of solves will help you drop time quickly. If I were you, I would just practice 4x4 whenever you can and don't worry as much about the other cubes.

Good luck!

Username

WCA
2013JOKI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
okso I did an ao5 where I time my splits

the splits used: Cross + centers, edge pairing, 3x3

time P.1 P.2 P.3
1 47.05 22.64 9.05 15.36
2 39.40 19.08 7.27 13.05
3 44.36 21.55 9.47 13.35
4 41.14 17.93 6.32 16.90
5 52.69 22.26 10.59 19.84
solve: 5/5

My cross+centers seem pretty bad, what's the best way to go about improving them?