• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Faraz Arif

WCA
2014ARIF01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey guys! I've just completed modding my 5x5 Shengshou (Florian), and realized that I could greatly improve my corner cutting just by overmodding the outer corner. The sharp points above the stock of the corner piece should be modded so that they look similar to a GuHong corner. To get an idea of what I'm talking about, watch crazybadcuber's tutorial on turning a V-Cube 3 into a GuHong.
Sorry, I don't have a Camera roght now, otherwise I would've put up some pics.

intheowetrust

WCA
2014FINK02
Hello, my high school is participating in a Rubik's (you can do the cube) group competition and I've been coerced into going. As part of the rules, competitors must use Rubik's brands cubes. Are there any good mods that make the Rubik's brand cube usable?

Thanks.

WCA
2010WOMA01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Cuber9991

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey guys, I decided to mod my HuanYing today to see what would happen and if it would make it better. I modded the corners. Here are some pictures.

2014-03-27 16.38.07.jpg
2014-03-27 16.37.59.jpg
2014-03-27 16.38.19.jpg

As you can see, I basically just modded that sharp edge on the base of the corner. Overall, this mod made the cube faster and smoother.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1395956505767.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1395956505767.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 14
  • uploadfromtaptalk1395956516226.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1395956516226.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 8
  • uploadfromtaptalk1395956526652.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1395956526652.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Jont828

Store Bought Rubik's Cube to Speedcube(ish)

So the first cube I learned on was a Rubik's Brand 3x3, and haven't looked after I got my Zhanchi, my first speedcube. However, it seems quite wasteful to see it sit there and gather dust. Are there any relatively mods I can do to it to improve its speed and turning? I did lube the pieces with Vaseline (I'm not using my precious Lubix on it XD).

ClovisKoo

WCA
2014KOOC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So the first cube I learned on was a Rubik's Brand 3x3, and haven't looked after I got my Zhanchi, my first speedcube. However, it seems quite wasteful to see it sit there and gather dust. Are there any relatively mods I can do to it to improve its speed and turning? I did lube the pieces with Vaseline (I'm not using my precious Lubix on it XD).
I just lubed mine with some extra Calvin's lube I had (Since I'm not planning to get new cubes anyway), I just put a small bit on the core and made a line on an edge piece and it seems to be working pretty good now, except that mine locks up somewhat easily.
I also read on a thread somewhere that forced corner cutting should help.

WCA
2009SHEE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
As you can see, I basically just modded that sharp edge on the base of the corner. Overall, this mod made the cube faster and smoother.

I did this too, people said it's the best HuanYing they tried, but still didn't seem too keen on the cube. I like it though, apart from the occasional corner twists, so break it in and you should have a nice cube. Mine responded very well to 50k diff oil.

JakeTheCuber

48 Point Edge mod on the DianMa?

I've seen that they have the same little curve like the GuHong and Zhanchi did. Would preforming a 48 point edge mod clearing those little flips help with its not so great reverse corner cutting? As well as cleaning up some of those edges on the edge, specifically the ramps leading up to the torpedo slot. Filling those down a bit.

Has anyone done this and had a successful result?

p2pcmlp

I did this too, people said it's the best HuanYing they tried, but still didn't seem too keen on the cube. I like it though, apart from the occasional corner twists, so break it in and you should have a nice cube. Mine responded very well to 50k diff oil.

Are the edges on the Weilong corners sharp enough for modding to make a difference?

houngpong

I main a ShengEn F2 (Yes, I do have the popular cubes on the market like a Liying, Fangshi, Huanying, Aurora, etc)
Does the mod I did to the corners make it less bubbly? It makes it faster and lighter I know that.
Does it affect the way the Cube sound in anyway?
Mod.jpg

houngpong

oh my word.. Looking at designs like this makes me realize how far cubes have come.

Surprisingly I average sub 18 no problem with it.
but still, let's try to not get off track because I need an answer to determine whether or not I want to keep modding it :(

guysensei1

WCA
2014WENW01
Sorry for bumping this, but, on a 6x6, I've rounded off the ends of top of the large internal edge, but I have no clue where else to round off for the konsta mod. Also, where on the small internal edges do I round?