• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Frequently Asked Questions About WCA Competitions

Ickathu

WCA
2011MERT03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think for BLD, transparent and pillowed cubes should not be allowed. With a pillowed cube, you can (theoretically) see an entire layer at once/4 sides. This allows memo to be faster since the cube is rotated less. Transparent cubes allow you to see all other sides, and if the cube is transparent enough, this could lead to a no rotation memo. Stickerless cubes do not make anything else visible for BLD purposes.
For 7x7, I agree that pillowed is fine, for the reason that Bob said.

manstrong

Just to jump in here on a question: When I looked at the WCA regulations the first time I assumed that my 3x3 V-Cube pillowed would be fine. Now however, it seems that this is not the case. :( Everything about this seems to be back in Oct. '11 and just wondering if anything new on this. Also, I'm looking to be at the Cornell Open in a week and seeing as my times average at over 30 seconds, would I need to bring a non-pillowed (and practice with it) because my pillowed wouldn't be allowed?

That question looks confusing to me. Seeing as my times are horrible, would I still need to use a non-pillowed?

Again, :(:(

cubernya

Premium Member
Just to jump in here on a question: When I looked at the WCA regulations the first time I assumed that my 3x3 V-Cube pillowed would be fine. Now however, it seems that this is not the case. :( Everything about this seems to be back in Oct. '11 and just wondering if anything new on this. Also, I'm looking to be at the Cornell Open in a week and seeing as my times average at over 30 seconds, would I need to bring a non-pillowed (and practice with it) because my pillowed wouldn't be allowed?

That question looks confusing to me. Seeing as my times are horrible, would I still need to use a non-pillowed?

Again, :(:(

You still need to use a cubic cube (apart from 7x7, but that's not at Cornell)

Czery

WCA
2010QIUB01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Say you're in the middle of Multiblind and in the middle of memorization and you need to go the bathroom. The need is not urgent but you know for sure that it would be very uncomfortable to execute while having an urge. Are you allowed leave the table to go the bathroom? I guess we are assuming that nothing else is "assisting" you during the solve (besides the bathroom itself) .

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Say you're in the middle of Multiblind and in the middle of memorization and you need to go the bathroom. The need is not urgent but you know for sure that it would be very uncomfortable to execute while having an urge. Are you allowed leave the table to go the bathroom? I guess we are assuming that nothing else is "assisting" you during the solve (besides the bathroom itself) .

I could see where there might be a fear that someone could write something down while in the bathroom; I could see where writing down a memo could be very helpful in solidifying the memory, and hence should be disallowed. Back before the hour limit was instituted, I was really worried about this issue, but now I'm not so concerned - you just have to wait. I could see there being people with medical conditions that might make this more problematic, though. I'm not sure what would be done if the issue ever really came up.

ardi4nto

WCA
2009SATR01
YouTube
Visit Channel

I'm not sure the delegate will allow you to do that, because they'll be not sure what you'll do in the bathroom,
I remember Iril decided to DNF in Jakarta Ceria Open 2010 on MBLD because he wanted to go to the bathroom immediately in the middle of solve. (he decided himself, not the delegate)
I'd suggest you to do your body need first before attempting a solve.

hcfong

WCA
2011FONG02
Totally agree with Ardianto. A word of wisdom: He who won't go when he can, can't go when he must. It's a rule I stuck to as a schoolteacher when kids asked permission to go to the toilet, 5 minutes into the lesson after a 45 minutes lunch break. anyway, there's no reason why you can't go to the loo before you start your MultiBLD. I would even say you would be silly not to. It's a long sit if you have a full bladder.

WCA
2010CANT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I could see where there might be a fear that someone could write something down while in the bathroom; I could see where writing down a memo could be very helpful in solidifying the memory, and hence should be disallowed. Back before the hour limit was instituted, I was really worried about this issue, but now I'm not so concerned - you just have to wait. I could see there being people with medical conditions that might make this more problematic, though. I'm not sure what would be done if the issue ever really came up.

In this video, Eric Limeback says he went to the bathroom twice when memoing. Does that mean that it should not have been a good attempt?

Also, can you compete with "scrambled" magics (flat & all)?

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
In this video, Eric Limeback says he went to the bathroom twice when memoing. Does that mean that it should not have been a good attempt?
I'm pretty sure there have been several cases where it has been allowed by a delegate at a competition. Fortunately, I've never had to deal with it, but I think it would be nice for us to get a clarification from the WCA about it. My inclination would be to disallow it at least because of this rule for regular BLD:
B3b) The competitor must not make notes. Penalty: disqualification of the solve.
If the competitor leaves the sight of the judge, there's no guarantee the competitor did not make notes. And for BLD, I'd say it's quite clear that making notes can help even if you never refer to those notes while solving - it can help solidify memory.

I'm not sure I understand this question. Is it covered by this rule?
G2a) The puzzle is not scrambled.
There are many places in the WCA rules where we rely on common sense to deal with ambiguities. That's why it will be nice if the regulations committee really does come up with a guidelines document to handle those kinds of issues.

Sebastien

Premium Member
WCA
2008AURO01
I'm pretty sure there have been several cases where it has been allowed by a delegate at a competition. Fortunately, I've never had to deal with it, but I think it would be nice for us to get a clarification from the WCA about it. My inclination would be to disallow it at least because of this rule for regular BLD:

Well, as every competitor has a judge, this judge should just follow the competitor to the bathroom. ;)

But well, I didn't have to deal with that scenario either. I think it is less likely since there is the 1 hour limit.

Bob

Premium Member
WCA
2003BURT01
Well, as every competitor has a judge, this judge should just follow the competitor to the bathroom. ;)

But well, I didn't have to deal with that scenario either. I think it is less likely since there is the 1 hour limit.

Sometimes it's unavoidable. If a judge makes sure they don't cheat, it should be fine. Obviously this is easier for #1 than #2.

BlueDevil

WCA
2011LOWR01
I'm not sure I understand this question. Is it covered by this rule?

I'm pretty sure he means if the magic is messed up, but still in a 2x4 form, with the typical moves possible. For example, when you solve a magic upside down, the rings on the back don't end up connected. Would a solve on a magic where the rings aren't properly connected count?

Kian

WCA
2007BARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm pretty sure he means if the magic is messed up, but still in a 2x4 form, with the typical moves possible. For example, when you solve a magic upside down, the rings on the back don't end up connected. Would a solve on a magic where the rings aren't properly connected count?

Yes. You can present your solved state to a judge beforehand. Bob, for example, has a ridiculous solved state for Master Magic.

cubernya

Premium Member
Yes. You can present your solved state to a judge beforehand. Bob, for example, has a ridiculous solved state for Master Magic.

Wasn't it Bob at Cornell that said that they should at least make it look "pretty"? Or was it just him joking about his solved state (I do remember him saying "Oh yeah, that's solved")