• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Speedsolving icon for iPhone?

Raltenbach

I want to add the forum to the homepage of my iPhone, however, there isn't an icon set up for this site. By default the icon is just a screenshot of the site, hard to tell what it is when shrunk down to 57 x 57. Adding a custom icon to this site for iPhone and iPod Touch users is a quick and easy process. Either google this or let me know if you need instructions. Please please, save my homescreen with a shiny new Speedsolving Forum icon!

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Hello,
There is a selection of small-large graphics for the forum here. However, there is no icon. What would an icon for speedsolving look like? If you want to make one, or have any ideas, I can make one. I think it is a good idea to get one eventually.

Raltenbach

Even just a 3x3 mid turn would look a lot nicer than a tiny screenshot of the entire page. If I can ever afford to upgrade my Photoshop I'll make one, but if you would like to, here's a little description of how to add it to the site:

So: if you want to make a custom icon for your website that will show up in the Springboard when a user makes a "webclip", using their iPhone or iPod Touch, the dirt simple way is:

Create a 57x57 PNG.
Name it "apple-touch-icon.png"
Throw it in the root folder of your website. (Not the root of your server, the root of your web documents.)
Boom. If you add a webclip for vjarmy.com, you'll see my smiling mug.

If you want more flexibility - perhaps you don't have access to the site root, perhaps you want to use a different file name or format - you can use a link tag in the head of the document, such as:

<head>
<title>iHelloWorld</title>
<link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="/whatever.jpg"/>
</head>

I've tested this with a slightly larger (75x75) JPEG, and it works without trouble - it just scales things down.

Granted, there are probably very few people on this forum who have an iPhone or iPod touch (so it would seem by the amount on apple-bashing in the off-topic mac thread), but those that do would enjoy the addition. Well, at least selfish-old-me would.

sam

I like the Square-1 that Lucas has! That picture is awesome!!!

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
I will come up with something in the next couple weeks. I will be very busy for the next 3 weeks, so can't guarantee anything. As I said though, if someone wants to make something and post it, that would work too.

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I like the Square-1 that Lucas has! That picture is awesome!!!
:eek: I do happen to like it, too. :) But I don't think it represents the site well as a familiar icon. ;)

Anyhow:
The cube on a linking banner is perfectly sized:
speedsolving_com.png

But a cube alone is not very indicative of a forum... Let's add text!
speedsolving_com1.png

speedsolving_com2.png

Still ugly... But I like the idea.

Raltenbach

I like the simplicity of your icon! Now just add the line on code to the site and we're in business. Soon my iPhone home screen will have a lovely cube staring at me whenever I turn it on! Bliss!!

Carson

Premium Member
WCA
2008PENT01
I like the simplicity of your icon! Now just add the line on code to the site and we're in business. Soon my iPhone home screen will have a lovely cube staring at me whenever I turn it on! Bliss!!

As the instructions you quoted above state: There is no reason to mess with code. Just rename the image to "apple-touch-icon.png" and put it in the root folder.