• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
that would be a bit hard when meorizing having to check back through your whole memo multiple times
Nobody said it was easy :). What I do is have 3 pieces I prefer to use to start new cycles, then mentally tick them off when I hit them during memo. If I have to start a new cycle I can usually remember which of my preferred pieces I've not yet ticked off. Occasionally I need to start a cycle after all three have been ticked off, in which case I have to wing it and find another, but that's rare.

sub20oneday

Nobody said it was easy :). What I do is have 3 pieces I prefer to use to start new cycles, then mentally tick them off when I hit them during memo. If I have to start a new cycle I can usually remember which of my preferred pieces I've not yet ticked off. Occasionally I need to start a cycle after all three have been ticked off, in which case I have to wing it and find another, but that's rare.

thanks i tried ding that and it was much easier:tu

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
Is there a speedsolving method that most directly translates to BLD solving?

There isn't.

The sexy method is the closest though that is not a real speed method. I suppose Roux could be relatively similar to M2 though it is very different. Corners first has the same steps although how each is accomplished is very different and any method which ends with a 3 cycle (such as Heise or Snyder2) could be fairly useful.

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
Is there a speedsolving method that most directly translates to BLD solving?

Any method that ends in PLL is good for beginner BLD solving methods. I know a guy who figured out is own blindsolving method by setting each piece up so that it could be solved with a PLL... Yes, it is basically just Old Pochmann. Except he also sometimes sets up two edges at a time and solves them with a U-perm, like with Turbo.

Speedysolver

YouTube
Visit Channel
what should i do in the blindfolded solves if the buffer piece comes twice before tim

I have some times the situation in the bld that the buffer piece must be place in the other place how can i avoid these or what should i do i always have DNFs cause of this problem

G2013

WCA
2013DIPI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have a doubt, who did the first BLD solve ever (before it was an official event, or before the WCA existed, etc.)? And when was that?

I guess it was Stefan? Since the old pochmann method is quite old

oneshot

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm so frustrated. I'm not stupid, but I can't figure it out. I made up a scramble and I was hoping if someone could see where I'm going wrong?

Scramble: R F' U L R D F U F L' D

I'm using Speffz letter scheme, and here's my memo:

W J K (buffer) S Q H N

It seems fine up until I do the "N"

what am I missing?

Ready to give up...

BenBergen

WCA
2015BERG10
Since you broke into a new cycle on S, which is on the DBL corner, as soon as you get back to a target on the DBL corner you've completed the cycle. H is also on the DBL corner, so that means after you execute H the cycle is done. I see why you would want to do N afterwards, since the red of the red-blue-white corner is in H. You just have to keep in mind though that you've already solved the red-blue-white corner, when you did Q, and now the buffer is in H (since that's where you broke into the new cycle.).
Afterwards you still have two corners unsolved (UFL and DFL) so you would need to break into a new cycle on either of those pieces and the solve them.
For example you could do this
WJK (cycle break) SQH (cycle break) LDG.

(Hope this made sense, but if it didn't I would suggest watching Noah Arthur's blind solving tutorials. He is very good at explaining some of the concepts.)

oneshot

YouTube
Visit Channel
Since you broke into a new cycle on S, which is on the DBL corner, as soon as you get back to a target on the DBL corner you've completed the cycle. H is also on the DBL corner, so that means after you execute H the cycle is done. I see why you would want to do N afterwards, since the red of the red-blue-white corner is in H. You just have to keep in mind though that you've already solved the red-blue-white corner, when you did Q, and now the buffer is in H (since that's where you broke into the new cycle.).
Afterwards you still have two corners unsolved (UFL and DFL) so you would need to break into a new cycle on either of those pieces and the solve them.
For example you could do this
WJK (cycle break) SQH (cycle break) LDG.

(Hope this made sense, but if it didn't I would suggest watching Noah Arthur's blind solving tutorials. He is very good at explaining some of the concepts.)

Ohhhhhhh.... That makes sense. Yep, now I see that I wasn't thinking about where the second cycle would end. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

oneshot

oneshot

YouTube
Visit Channel
Next question. I'm starting to put together a letter pair list. I'm using speffz, and I think it was the wiki where I saw a list of ideas. AA, AB , AC , etc. I get that if in memo, you get GO, that means do G then do O.
So my question is, if I'm using UBL as my buffer, and that sticker is A in my letter scheme, do I skip making a list for A(any letter), because the buffer piece doesn't have to go anywhere?

Berd

WCA
2014LONG06
YouTube
Visit Channel
Next question. I'm starting to put together a letter pair list. I'm using speffz, and I think it was the wiki where I saw a list of ideas. AA, AB , AC , etc. I get that if in memo, you get GO, that means do G then do O.
So my question is, if I'm using UBL as my buffer, and that sticker is A in my letter scheme, do I skip making a list for A(any letter), because the buffer piece doesn't have to go anywhere?
Yes, but you'll need A for edges!

pinser

WCA
2016GOHT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
How are 3BLD attempts ranked in comps? Is it better to get 1 fast single and 2 DNFs or 3 meh successes?
What about MBLD?
I couldn't find anything in the regulations/guidelines

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
How are 3BLD attempts ranked in comps? Is it better to get 1 fast single and 2 DNFs or 3 meh successes?
What about MBLD?
I couldn't find anything in the regulations/guidelines

Usually best of 3. So if you want to get through to the next round (or win), most people will do two fast attempts first. If they don't have a success after these two attempts, it's sensible to do a safety solve and go slower so you at least have something.

Mean of 3s are ranked officially but not used within the competition itself.

MBLD is only ever Bo1-3.

Edit: found the regulation.

9b3) Rubik's Cube: Blindfolded, 4x4x4 Cube: Blindfolded, 5x5x5 Cube: Blindfolded, and Rubik's Cube: Multiple Blindfolded.
9b3a) Round formats for these events are: "Best of X" (where X is 1, 2, or 3).
9b3b) For Rubik's Cube: Blindfolded, the WCA also recognises "Mean of 3" rankings and records based on the times from "Best of 3" rounds.

Last edited: