• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

tseitsei

WCA
2012LEHT01
I just don't get cycle breaks. I know why you need it and why, but how do you remember which piece you have shooted to while breaking?

Short answer: Practise. It will become automatic.

Long answer: In 3bld you can pretty much use your fingers to keep track of the targets if you have to. Also having some "favourite" targets and keeping track if all those are memoed already helps at first (for example track all the U-layer pieces...). And if you really don't know which pieces you already memoed you can go through your memo to find out. But as I said, if you just do enough solves you will automatically just know where to shoot next (even in big bld even tough it is a lot harder than in 3bld and 2-cycles might be a problem. At least they still are for me during wings :p )

Jezuz

Long post, basically my question is: What is a good way to deal with edge parity when doing 4bld with commutators. (By edge parity I here mean that I have and odd number of targets during memorisation of edges, which is a case that cannot be solved with 3-cycle commutators).

Starting to become "fairly fast" at 3bld (sub 4 min in total) with M2/OP and I am currently working on learning comutators/freestyle. Can fix most corners and some paris of edges, but still have to learn to orient pieces that happen to be in the correct position but with wrong orientation.

I am also working on 4bld and have some question regarding this. It seems (after just trying around and messing about) that you can get parity in each of the steps: corners, edges and centers.

Corner parity I can handle (by solving two edges to switched positions and solving the last corner with Old Pachman). I do this after everything else is completed as I noticed that the Y-perm messes with the centers.

I also think that center parity is not a really a problem many centers are identical. If for example a blue and white center is the only two pieces left to solve I can make a three cycle with those two pieces and one other white (or blue) which will solve the problem.

So what is left is how to deal with edges. If I end up with two edges left to solve (buffer + 1) I am not sure what is a good solution. I think that a POSSIBLE solution would be to set the two pieces up in the UFr and UFl and then make the usual OLL parity fix (after solving the centers) and finally undo setup. However, it seems that the setup moves can be fairly long.

Sooo.. my question is really: What is a good way to deal with edge parity in 4bld with commutators?

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Starting to become "fairly fast" at 3bld (sub 4 min in total) with M2/OP and I am currently working on learning comutators/freestyle. Can fix most corners and some paris of edges, but still have to learn to orient pieces that happen to be in the correct position but with wrong orientation.

Cool! Congrats on your progress :)

So what is left is how to deal with edges. If I end up with two edges left to solve (buffer + 1) I am not sure what is a good solution. I think that a POSSIBLE solution would be to set the two pieces up in the UFr and UFl and then make the usual OLL parity fix (after solving the centers) and finally undo setup. However, it seems that the setup moves can be fairly long.

This works. You can also rotate the cube and use setups if you want. Try learning another parity alg too: r U2 r U2 F2 r F2 l' U2 l U2 r2 That's my favorite parity alg for 4BLD.

giorgi

WCA
2013TARI01
are you aloud to compete in MBLD in WCA official competition and choose to solve 2 cubes:
1) and only memorize and solve 1 cube without even touching second one so your attempt will be 1/2 at the end? or is that against regulations?
2) can you memorize edges first on both cubes and corners after on both cubes and solve edges first on both cubes and corners after on both cubes? is that against regulations?
Thanks! :D

Goosly

WCA
2010VERE01
1) and only memorize and solve 1 cube without even touching second one so your attempt will be 1/2 at the end?

1/2 = DNF in the current regulations.

2) can you memorize edges first on both cubes and corners after on both cubes and solve edges first on both cubes and corners after on both cubes?

Yes, you can. I wouldn't recommend it though.

Goosly

WCA
2010VERE01
DO you mean 1 cube solved out from 2 cubes is DNF?

Indeed.

9f12c) For Multiple Blindfolded Solving, rankings are assessed based on number of puzzles solved minus the number of puzzles not solved, where a greater difference is better. If the difference is less than 0, or if only 1 puzzle is solved, the attempt is considered unsolved (DNF). If competitors achieve the same result, rankings are assessed based on total time, where the shorter recorded time is better. If competitors achieve the same result and the same time, rankings are assessed based on the number of puzzles the competitors failed to solve, where fewer unsolved puzzles is better.

hkpnkp

how to learn all those 3 style blindfold algorithms !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????????????:eek::eek::eek::confused:

Jezuz

This works. You can also rotate the cube and use setups if you want. Try learning another parity alg too: r U2 r U2 F2 r F2 l' U2 l U2 r2 That's my favorite parity alg for 4BLD.

Thank you for again! It is invaluable to get help from people who really know!

Still a bit left to figure out (mainly practicing coming up with 3-cycles on the fly). I can do it very slowly with my eyes open but still have a bit to go. Will do my first attempt on 3bld with 3-cycles soon.

Edit: Forgot to mention, the algorithm you mentioned is perfect! I use UBr as buffer, so this I just need to setup the last remaining piece.

Last edited:

Sessinator

WCA
2009CADM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
When I use M2, for BD, FU and BU, I always shoot the pieces to DB, UF, and UB, respectively, and then flip the affected edges at the end. Out of curiosity, does anyone else do this as well?