• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

kinch2002

Premium Member
WCA
2009SHEP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This is not a generic solution, but I love my BH alg for this particular one:
F R' U2 R F' R' F U2 F' R

With left thumb on U and UL, and left middle finger on D and DL, right thumb on UR and right middle finger on DR, pull with left ring finger for F, then wrist the R', then double-trigger the U2 with the right hand, then undo the R F'. Then invert the order for the second half. No regrips at all - very very fast. Of all my PLLs, I only have a few that are as fast as this algorithm.
I used to use this grip, but now I've switched to set up to A9 because it's <R,U,D> and therefore faster for me :)

Does anybody know what's the biggest cube that has ever been solved blindfolded?The biggest I have found on YouTube is 7BLD.
I think you're right. There are maybe 10 people who have done 7bld. Mike is still trying the 8x8, so hopefully soon that will be the biggest

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think you're right. There are maybe 10 people who have done 7bld. Mike is still trying the 8x8, so hopefully soon that will be the biggest

5 tries so far, all of them relatively close. I'm not sure I'm going to have time this weekend (because of the Hillsdale competition), so it may be another week and a half before I get another try.

timelonade

WCA
2011MERC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Talking of how M2 and freeslice have a similar concept, has anyone ever tried doing BLD with E2 (just do zy rotation and start inserting pieces into the FR slot)? Obviously actually doing it successfully isn't any harder than M2, but just wondering whether anybody does it.

Have you tried this? I just did it myself, luckily no parity! It was actually quite fun..

riffz

WCA
2009HOLT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This is not a generic solution, but I love my BH alg for this particular one:
F R' U2 R F' R' F U2 F' R

With left thumb on U and UL, and left middle finger on D and DL, right thumb on UR and right middle finger on DR, pull with left ring finger for F, then wrist the R', then double-trigger the U2 with the right hand, then undo the R F'. Then invert the order for the second half. No regrips at all - very very fast. Of all my PLLs, I only have a few that are as fast as this algorithm.

Oh wow, I hadn't thought to execute it like that. That's exactly how I would execute it if I did an x' at the start: x' D R' F2 R D' R' D F2 D' R

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am starting to learn BH corners. I have the pure commutators down, but once I get to A9s I'm pretty lost. I'm sure this has been answered before, but how should I learn the method? Should I spend time looking at the list of algs? Do I need to memorize many of them? I have watched byu's tutorials, but I'm not sure how to tell what kind of commutator to use. Basically, I'm very lost, and I'm not sure how to learn this method. Any advice is appreciated.

Zane_C

Premium Member
WCA
2010CARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am starting to learn BH corners. I have the pure commutators down, but once I get to A9s I'm pretty lost.
I think it was a mistake for A9s to be introduced before orthogonals in byu's tutorial. If you haven't already, I suggest you skip A9s and learn orthorgonals. They are 10 move conjugated commutators, (a 1 move setup is applied, then an a pure commutator is executed, followed by the undo of the setup move). A9s should then become clearer.

Last edited:

Riley

WCA
2007WOOR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Memo problem - talking to memorize

I just realized that I have this problem for BLD solving. At home, I always talk when memorizing, as in saying my memorization out loud. I use letter pairs for sentences, words, etc for edges, and audio for corners. And for some reason, my memorization works A LOT better if I do that. However, at competitions, I try to limit the talking because it can distract other competitors and it probably sounds weird. Limiting the talking makes my memo a lot worse though. Multi BLD is even worse... Any suggestions? Thanks.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just realized that I have this problem for BLD solving. At home, I always talk when memorizing, as in saying my memorization out loud. I use letter pairs for sentences, words, etc for edges, and audio for corners. And for some reason, my memorization works A LOT better if I do that. However, at competitions, I try to limit the talking because it can distract other competitors and it probably sounds weird. Limiting the talking makes my memo a lot worse though. Multi BLD is even worse... Any suggestions? Thanks.

Mouth the words, without actually speaking them, at home. The practice will make it better for you in competition. It will probably always be a little harder without speaking, though, no matter what you do. Occasionally I do solves where I speak out loud when memorizing, and I also find that it gives me better results. But I almost never practice that way because I know I will not do it in competitions. You should really always practice with conditions as similar to competition as possible. Better to have the pain at home than have it suddenly appear in competition.

But one other thing you can do is to start trying to rely on mental images for memorization instead of just words and sentences (for edges). That way, you're not so reliant on the words, and it becomes a different skill you have to practice: visualizing pictures in your head.

conn9

WCA
2012TALB01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I use Eric Limeback's M2/OP method for BLD solving, and I have a few questions.
1) I'm happy with the actual method, but is his memo method the best? Are there obvious better memo methods (for his method)?
2) I memo corners, memo edges, solve corners, then solve edges. I've heard some people saying its better to memo edges, memo corners, solve corners, then solve edges, because I memo corners by tapping and saying the letter of the colour. Should I switch to that?
3) I memo edges with letters of the sticker (A-X) in groups of 4. Should I make a word for every single possible letter pair (eg CT=cat and WR=world record), so I can remember it easier, or would that take to long and be pointless?
4) When I have a solve with parity and there are some flipped edges, should I flip the edges before or after solving the parity (I don't think it makes a difference though)?

tseitsei

WCA
2012LEHT01
1) I'm happy with the actual method, but is his memo method the best? Are there obvious better memo methods (for his method)?
2) I memo corners, memo edges, solve corners, then solve edges. I've heard some people saying its better to memo edges, memo corners, solve corners, then solve edges, because I memo corners by tapping and saying the letter of the colour. Should I switch to that?
3) I memo edges with letters of the sticker (A-X) in groups of 4. Should I make a word for every single possible letter pair (eg CT=cat and WR=world record), so I can remember it easier, or would that take to long and be pointless?
4) When I have a solve with parity and there are some flipped edges, should I flip the edges before or after solving the parity (I don't think it makes a difference though)?

I memo edges then corners and solve corners first, because I use audio loop for them... Edges I memo with letter pairs, just like you.
I dont have a list for all the letter pairs, mostly because I'm too lazy to do that, but it will speed things up if you do it like that.
for the last part: I don't think it matters. I myself flip the edges before fixing the parity...

For corners my memo method is like this (I saw it somewhere on this forum, but couldnt find it right now):
Every corner has a consonant for permutation (lrwktdb) and a vowel for orientation (aeo). So for each corner I remember a syllable that consists of consonant and then vowel... So my memo for corners could be something like: TaReBaDoLeKa and flip the W-corner.

angham

WCA
2012HAMI01

There is no best memo method. Try other things though to find what's best for you
Flip edges after parity