• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Intuitive VS Alg. assisted f2l

i've bin cubing for a while now and i use intuitive f2l with just a couple of algorithms that help me solve cases that you can't do fast intuitive. alot of people say that i cant use intuitive f2l and that it sucks, but my average of 100 is sub 20 .
im always up for doing as most intuitive as possible, cuz i dont like memorizing.
so i want your opinion on wats better

danthecuber

WCA
2011SELZ01
YouTube
Visit Channel
i've bin cubing for a while now and i use intuitive f2l with just a couple of algorithms that help me solve cases that you can't do fast intuitive. alot of people say that i cant use intuitive f2l and that it sucks, but my average of 100 is sub 20 .
im always up for doing as most intuitive as possible, cuz i dont like memorizing.
so i want your opinion on wats better

Intuitive is better in my opinion. It would be smart to insert some pairs left handed if they save a cube rotation. I'm working on mastering that myself.

Last edited:

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Basically just stick to what you're doing. Use intuitive for most of it, and use algs for the worst cases. Try to understand how those algs work, but it's ok if you use an alg that is less intuitive than some of your standard block building stuff. Also, definitely look into both Xcross and partial cross. You may both of those very interesting based on what you've said about your solving style.

Last edited:

RyanO

WCA
2008OLSO01
He's just showing it from one angle for demonstration purposes. You should be able to intutively mirror the cases and execute from any angle.

maggot

i agree with sticking with intuitive as much as possible. there are some really bad cases but on that note, some really good algs to fix it. you're on the right path im sure. as you get faster, you'll find what slows you down intuitively and you can find an alg to fix it. also, i picked up on some neat ways to insert things. intuitively, you would make a cube rotation, but sometimes there are intriguing ways to insert things
set up cube L' U' L U y
now, easy intuitive way would be to reverse the scramble y' U' L' U L, however, its interesting to note M L U L' U' M' also solves the case. there are also some fairly nifty things that can be done with wide turns. learning roux actually helped me to feel like i had more freedom on the cube than before, and i sought out ways to bring that to my fridrich.

Intuitive is better in my opinion but it seems to promote more cube rotations.
lolwut?
No. Your intuition must suck, then, because the whole point of intuitive F2L, is so that you can use intuition to insert the pairs. And if you can only insert it with one hand, then you're doing it wrong. In fact, most people who learn alg F2L, get used to one set of algs per case, and then have to rely on cube rotation, to set up the case.

In other words, what you said is completely backwards. Intuitive F2L actually promotes LESS cube rotations.

I hate using B turns if the pair is on the back though.
People use B turns during F2L?

And to TC, I use intuitive F2L, except for about 4 cases, which I used optimal algs for. I can insert with both left and right hands, for half the amount of cube rotations. Doing it intuitively means you actually understand what's going on, and can adapt to any changes in the situation. To me, that's what makes intuitive better.

Choosing between one and the other is foolish, in my opinion. Getting best of both worlds is where it's at.

I'm also sub-20, and the intuitive F2L is what is getting me faster and faster.

Jedi5412

YouTube
Visit Channel
Well I would learn i intuitive F2L untill it becomes second nature then learning look ahead for about a week then looking for better algs for hard solution i improved about 3 seconds looking up algs on the net but i would suggest becoming familar first with intuitive