• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Scramble database?

coinman

WCA
2005GUST02
Wouldn't it be a nice if all official competition scrambles would be stored in a database. I for my self really would like to be able to find the scrambles from my best solves in the past, especially the ones from a few years back to test my improvement. Or just any good solve from any competition that I like to try out. I also think a lot of cubers like to test doing a average from the scrambles in a competitions they couldn't attend to compare there results to the official ones.
There is also a lot of demand for the official fewest moves scrambles on this forum.

If speedcubing will survive as a serious sport for a long time, which I think it will, I think our children will thank us for preserving the scrambles for the future so that they can try them and laugh about how slow we were back in the good old days when people mainly was using Fridrich :p (I also use Fridrich).

Another idea I hade is that maybe all competition scrambles should be generated and posted to the organizers by some sort of WCA comity to prevent cheating. As it is now it's not hard at all to sneak in easy scrambles on purpose as a organizer to get good results.

Yes I know this will be extra work for the organizers to also post/download the scrambles to a database but I relay think this is a good idea. Some people will also have to volunteer for generating competition scrambles if this idea comes to live. Maybe a few of the WCA delegates out there could do that or other trusted members of the community. This group could also post/download the scrambles to the database after the competition. The best way in my opinion to make this data accessible is to make any solving round clickable in the official result lists to se the scrambles.

Last edited:

Bryan

Premium Member
WCA
2007LOGA01
Another idea I hade is that maybe all competition scrambles should be generated and posted to the organizers by some sort of WCA comity to prevent cheating. As it is now it's not hard at all to sneak in easy scrambles on purpose as a organizer to get good results.

The delegate already generates the scrambles. And honestly, I think it's more secure to not be e-mailing them and posting them places.

1c)The WCA delegate for a competition is responsible for:

• 1c8) Providing the scrambles.

coinman

WCA
2005GUST02
To be honest, a few years ago when I was organizing competitions with my brother we provided the scrambles our selves as far as I can remember. I didn't know the delegate was obligated to provide them, and so was clearly not our delegate. Is this a newer rule?

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
A database would take some work, but we could easily have someone collect scrambles. Organizers could send them their scrambles (AFTER the competition) and then they could be available to the public for anyone who wants to try them. This could definitely be a good idea.

Anyone want to volunteer? Perhaps someone who already has a pretty good collection?

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
To be honest, a few years ago when I was organizing competitions with my brother we provided the scrambles our selves as far as I can remember. I didn't know the delegate was obligated to provide them, and so was clearly not our delegate. Is this a newer rule?

Yes, it is a newer rule - it got added last year. From the history of changes for 2010:
Art. 1c8 added. WCA Delegate responsible for providing the scrambles. Not necessarily generate scrambles him/herself. A four eyes principle is preferred. [fairness]

coinman

WCA
2005GUST02
Aha i see that this idea has been discussed before. As Stefan mentions on the WCA forum, it will be a problem to get who did what scramble if there is several groups in a round of any puzzle, i'm sure i will forget my group within a few days after any competition :)

Hope someone with the knowledge will take action and get a database done anyway.