• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Dayan Guhong POM review

timspurfan

YouTube
Visit Channel

Text review will be coming up soon(tonight).
The review is alright, I didn't have time to edit it. If you guys want I'll make a better
and more in depth one. I can answer most questions if necessary.

Edit: I should be addressing a couple more things this weekend and I will be posting the video here. I'll mention most of the things mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:

Radu

Premium Member
WCA
2009FACI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have both cubes. I got the POM last week. I don't like it! I cannot say I'm disapointed, because I wasn't expecting anything specatcular...I bought it more as a curiosity.

The POM is heavier, 1mm smaller - maybe 0.5mm (nobody mentioned about this until now) and is very noisy. It has a A V-ish feel, due to the harder plastic I guess and might resist better in the long run; maybe not get sticky over time as the normal GuHong.

Having this aspects mentioned, I think the POM version is worse than the normal one. Mine's jams and locks up sometimes (maybe it's just a bad version..but I don't think so, cause I set it up, lubed and did everything necessary). The difference in solving times is irrelevant, obviously, but what makes me choose the normal GuHong is that when I switch back to it, after doing like 30-40 solves with the POM, the classic one is a charm and feels much better in the hands.

I think DaYan wanted to avoid the sticky feel of the normal GuHong (in the long run) and came up with a different plastic, heavier and harder, but the experiment is not that successful in my opinion for the GuHong.

Cubenovice

Forever Slow
POM is indeed harder than the ABS material traditionally used for cubes but that is not the main point for choosing POM.
The main reason is that POM is a material with excellent tribological properties.

What?

This basically means it has very good friction / wear properties.
The hardness helps but the main aspect is that this material has got an inhertent very low coefficient of friction.

That the cube is lightly smaller may be an indication that they just ran the POM material in an existing mold.
ABS has around 0.6% mold shrinkage, POM 2-3 %, so coming from the same mold the POM pieces will be smaller.