• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Sebastien

Premium Member
WCA
2008AURO01
Number of people with first Success on nth attempt
AttemptsCountPercentageCumulative
148228.79%28.79%

Success rate on each attempt
AttemptSuccessesDNFsSuccess Rate
1482213318.43%

How comes that those percentages are different?

This doesn't really fit here but it would be nice to have a "next comps" space in each WCA member's page showing the comp he/she has already registered for

I don't see how this would be possible as LOTS of competitions don't use the WCA registration system.

moralsh

WCA
2013MORA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
How comes that those percentages are different?

My guess is that the second list takes into account the people who are yet to have a success and the first one doesn't.

I don't see how this would be possible as LOTS of competitions don't use the WCA registration system.

It would be nice to have it at least for the comps that use it :)

Dylann

Top 3 2x2 single records worldwide were on the same scramble and same competition. It must have been an extremely obvious 3/4 move solution as their averages were nowhere near that (4-5 seconds). Poor scramble really... if it wasn't for the poor scramble then Felik's would be no.1 single for 2-5 order rubik's cubes (excluding 4x4)

15otjbm.png

Last edited:

cparlette

WCA
2005PARL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
A scramble that either was really short, or went back on itself leaving the cube solvable in very few moves. Obviously it was computer generated sorry for suggesting it wasn't! Shouldn't there be a double-check that the scramble isn't ridiculously easy? What if a 3x3 get's randomly scrambled so that it's solved by 2 moves? Would that be accepted?

And Felik's solve was 11 moves. Christian's was about 4.

So what constitutes "ridiculously easy"? Where's the line between "ridiculously easy", "really easy", "easy", and "not easy"? Would you be able to quantify what scrambles would get thrown out?

This is why averages are a better representation of skill.

TMOY

WCA
2008COUR01
A scramble that either was really short, or went back on itself leaving the cube solvable in very few moves. Obviously it was computer generated sorry for suggesting it wasn't! Shouldn't there be a double-check that the scramble isn't ridiculously easy? What if a 3x3 get's randomly scrambled so that it's solved by 2 moves? Would that be accepted?
At Phalsbourg open 2012 I was scrambling for 2^3 when we (the scramblers) noticed that the 5th scramble of the group had a 2-move solution. So we called the delegate (Clément), and after saying "oh no, why does it happen to me ?" and trying (apparently unsuccessfully) to make a phone call, he told us to replace that silly scramble by the first scramble of an extra group he had generated scrambles for just in case.

Kian

WCA
2007BARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel

And Felik's solve was 11 moves. Christian's was about 4.

Just noticed, thanks!

Delegates are not allowed to throw out scrambles, as per the regulations.

The possibility of a 3x3 scramble of 2 moves being created randomly is basically zero. It's not likely to happen in the history of the universe.

2x2 single records are silly because randomly generated scrambles can be easy. They are not and should not be taken to be a good measure of skill. In addition, the line of "easy" is difficult to decipher. For example, my best 2x2 single was solved with antisune and an AUF. The scramble was not noticeably short, but it was easy. Far easier than many 4 move solutions.

Last edited: