• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What did you do to your GuHong to make it so good?

Godmil

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm having terrible trouble trying to get my tension right on my guhong. I loved it out of the box when I got it from Lubix, but I found it a little too loose - I just kept losing control of it and accidental turning the wrong faces during some fingertricks. I tried tightening it, but it still feels really loose up to the point that it becomes impossible to cut corners. Is everyone's Guhong like this? Do I just need to learn to be more careful while solving, or is there a way of making it more stable.

Wickex

WCA
2010PIEP01
Correctly tensioned it, lubed it with Speedcubers silicone I bought at Dutch Open 2010 and Maru lube. The Maru lube really does wonders. My Guhong now cuts around 50 degrees.

Also, I didn't put any of those little triangles in the bottom part of the corners (if you bought a DIY Guhong, you know what I'm talking about). That probably helps too.

adiconfidence

Mike
I just changed my opinion on this cube and now I think its horrible because after a while all the sides feel uneven. By that I mean some sides may be looser than others. But I checked and they are all on the same tension. Also the cubes becomes WAY TO FAST and is not cotrollable at all. At first this cube is good but after a while it has a lot of problems. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS CUBE AT ALL. Overall rating 4/10. I give it a 4 because of the corner cutting and that it is prone to poping. Everthing else about this cube is horrible!! I think control is more important than speed and corner cutting. I'm gonna buy an Alpha V or an FII and see if those cubes live up to the hype they get and not how this cube did to its hype.

Jukuren

WCA
2011NANS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm having terrible trouble trying to get my tension right on my guhong. I loved it out of the box when I got it from Lubix, but I found it a little too loose - I just kept losing control of it and accidental turning the wrong faces during some fingertricks. I tried tightening it, but it still feels really loose up to the point that it becomes impossible to cut corners. Is everyone's Guhong like this? Do I just need to learn to be more careful while solving, or is there a way of making it more stable.

i had the same problem out the box, i didnt touch the tension tho.... i just dealt with it and learned to control it better and now i love it.

Boscotheclown

i had the same problem out the box, i didnt touch the tension tho.... i just dealt with it and learned to control it better and now i love it.

Yeah I had the same problem. But I learned better control and now it is amazing, I still sometimes accidentally turn other slices. But they are getting less and less frequent. I ordered mine from lubix.

Godmil

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel

I thought that may be the best solution. I tried fine tuning the tension, and I think I've got a happy medium, I just need to learn to control it better now.

Nestor

Premium Member
WCA
2013SANC10
Same here... constant overshooting and accidental turning of slices.

I bought an additional AV besides my main and went back to them... Although I love the speed, lack of pops and easy turning of the Guhong, I love the "clickiness" and secure turning of the AV even more.

Nestor

Premium Member
WCA
2013SANC10
Also, I didn't put any of those little triangles in the bottom part of the corners (if you bought a DIY Guhong, you know what I'm talking about). That probably helps too.

And how does that helps? They only hold the pieces together and have no effects on the final shape of them, since they are completely sealed.

ilikecubing

WCA
2011KULS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
ya somethin similar happening with my guhong,i just got it 3 days back.It is unlubed

I loosed the tension of all sides,but when i solve,some accidental turns makes it to pops pieces out,i guess i loosened it more than required,how much will you loosen the center screw with the intent to make it more finger-trick friendly and on the other side make sure that pieces don't pop out?

Winball

YouTube
Visit Channel
I loosened mine really really much.
It's too loose to pop.

But I can't get it to be as good as the Color Guhong I have. (This one is unlubed and new)

musicninja17

WCA
2010FISK01
Yeah. I really liked the feel of it, so i switched from my main cube to the guhong HALFWAY THROUGH THE ROUND.
Not the greatest idea, i overshot on TWO of my solves, and just barely broke sub 30...
Pitiful.

But now i'm at 22~23.
You just have to learn to control it, lubix is great too.

Nestor

Premium Member
WCA
2013SANC10
Because now the 3 pieces of the bottom of the corner can be pushed away, so I guess it can help with corner cutting.

I tried it on 3 corners. I don't know if the little additional flexibility is worth risking breaking the other plastic holders (with only one on each piece). They do seem pretty fragile...