• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Cubing Injuries?

Lofty

WCA
2008LOFT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Has anyone else injured themselves in anyway due to cubing?
This topic was motivated by my recent wearing away of the skin on the back of my pinky due to excessive use of the finger trick R' with pinky in OH. So its not a very serious injury....
Other injuries:
My friend had a massive lockup while executing a fast alg resulting in the cube flying out of his hands at a high rate of speed and striking him in the face.
I experienced pain in my hand for 3-5 days when I did something as simple as turn the key to my car from cubing too much when I first started.
Not really an injury but a cube pop hit me in the head today.
Since this is the off topic section:
Can someone help me make my website on 110mb.com? I have found a template (by the same guy as Erik and Joels :) but don't know what to do with all the code i have downloaded...

Pedro

WCA
2007GUIM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
well, my left hand (the wrist) was aching a bit yesterday and the day before...
probably because I did to much OH cubing the past days...

but it's feeling better now...I guess I'll just take it easy for some days and then practice like mad again :D

martian

Yes, since my cube is very stiff, sometimes when I've done about 15-20 solves, my fingers and wrists will ache..........but luckily it isn't too serious.

darkzelkova

I've got a bit of pain in the very bottom of my thumb (like, at the bottom of my hand there is the thumby part) on both of my hands. And I've gotten a bunch of hangnails. And my fingers sometimes ache. And I've been hit with the cube a few times. And frustration can be pretty bad, had lots of that.

SkateTracker

YouTube
Visit Channel
When my first cube broke, it looked like it fixable if I put a bit of glue on it, so, I did, but I ended up gluing too much and it stuck, so, I tried to use my knife to get it unstuck, the knife slipped, and sliced my thumb open about a half an inch deep, bled for a good 30 minutes, I was felling a bit dizzy too, so, it was kinda scary. My finger nail saved me though, if it hadn't stopped it, it probably would of sliced the whole tip top of my thumb off.

Other than that, just general finger/hand cramps and soreness.

tegalogic

Hmm... I was cubing lying down on my bed when I accidentally let go of the cube, and it fell on my head... ow.
Many times I have stopped the timer so fast that my hands were under the cube, and the cube fell on my hands.

Nothing much... :)

martian

Yes, since my cube is very stiff, sometimes when I've done about 15-20 solves, my fingers and wrists will ache..........but luckily it isn't too serious.

Oh.............the situation has gone worse.........my thumb's knuckle is aching now................:(

Leo

Sometimes from doing something as simple as clenching my hand I feel a pain in my hand, used to be a lot worse when I had bad cubes and practiced like mad. Barely any pains now :)

K8

YouTube
Visit Channel
I have the thumb pain too so I avoid speedcubing for a long time everyday. do you know that there are even conditions called rubik's thumb and rubik's wrist?:| LIke a tennis elbow or something...!

martian

Really? I must do less cubing from now on..............but it's very difficult to avoid cubing....................:eek:

You guys that have pains in your fingers, wrists, knuckles and hands, make sure you don't have a stiff cube. Make sure you spray some silicone in your cube to help make it looser. This will help a lot.

martian

My cube is really stiff and my knuckles are aching now........what lubricant is good for lubing (I heard some doesn't work and will kill your cube...)??

And apart from lubing my cube, what can be done to make my cube smoother??

Last edited:

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok, you want to use a pure silicone spray. I'm not sure where you would get it from, just any multi-purpose store.
To get it looser you can try sanding, or literally using sand, or something else rough, otherwise, all you can do is use it heaps to get it looser.

Crzyazn

Ouch...my right hand is swollen up a wee bit and the joints are stiff and tingly

Too much cubing and stepmania...how long should I take a break? :(

Lofty

WCA
2008LOFT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think so!
I think I am going to break as well either that or work on my OH with right hand cause I was getting random pains in my left hand...
I would definitely recommend breaking until the pain goes away so you dont risk hurting yourself badly.