• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

EvanCahill

I have almost solved the 5x5x5 cube but the four middle edge pieces in the 3rd layer are all oriented correctly does anyone know an algorithm that will correctly orient the four edge pieces. Thanks

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have almost solved the 5x5x5 cube but the four middle edge pieces in the 3rd layer are all oriented correctly does anyone know an algorithm that will correctly orient the four edge pieces. Thanks
It's hard to understand without a picture, but if you mean this case, then:
3U' R U R' F R' F' R 3U R' F R F' R U' R' y2 R U R' F R' F' R 3U' R' F R F' R U' R' 3U

Not very efficient, but easy to learn.

WCA
2009SHEE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
so i asked this a while ago but i forgot the alg for it cuz my square 1 was broken.
can someone find an alg for me that swaps UR with UL and DF with UB and doesnt mess up anything else.
i use it in this video ( if it help in anything) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqwHWb7GVFc

Can't see what you use in the video clearly, but I use 0,-1/-3,0/4,1/-1,-1/-3,0/3,0/

Christopher Mowla

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Last edited:

EvanCahill

I tried both of those algorithms but in the scenarios that the beta program showed the 4 middle edge pieces were only flipped. In my scenario all the middle edge pieces aren't flipped they are just all in the wrong place. Where the red white edge piece should be there is a yellow orange edge piece and where there should be a yellow orange piece it is red and white. The algorithm I used to correctly orient the 3rd layer when in a similar situation on the 4x4 was place the one correctly oriented piece in the back right and Back to the left, bottom 2x, left down, bottom to the left, Left up, Bottom middle panel to the left, left down, bottom to the right, left up, Bottom middle panel to the right, bottom 2x, and back to the right.

Ryp

Algorithm to Make Design

I was wondering what algorithm to use to get a cube like this:

szpoVaX.png

Thanks.

Christopher Mowla

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I tried both of those algorithms but in the scenarios that the beta program showed the 4 middle edge pieces were only flipped. In my scenario all the middle edge pieces aren't flipped they are just all in the wrong place. Where the red white edge piece should be there is a yellow orange edge piece and where there should be a yellow orange piece it is red and white. The algorithm I used to correctly orient the 3rd layer when in a similar situation on the 4x4 was place the one correctly oriented piece in the back right and Back to the left, bottom 2x, left down, bottom to the left, Left up, Bottom middle panel to the left, left down, bottom to the right, left up, Bottom middle panel to the right, bottom 2x, and back to the right.
Your request was a little vague. You first said "the four middle edge pieces in the 3rd layer are all oriented correctly", but then you asked "does anyone know an algorithm that will correctly orient the four edge pieces".

The term "oriented" is strictly for orientation. In your request, now I see that you used it to describe both permutation and orientation, separately. So in short, it's not our fault you didn't get what you want initially.

However, below are two algorithms you need to solve these 4 edges.
z 3R2 U2 3R2 U2 z' (adjacent 2 2-cycle)
z F2 3R2 U2 3R2 U2 F2 z' (diagonal 2 2-cycle)

In addition, you will need to solve three edges in the middle layer in some solves.
z 3R U2 3R' U2 z' (3-cycle)
z U2 3R U2 3R' z' (3-cycle) (the inverse of the first 3-cycle)

(Press the back button, |<<, first in the applet to see the 3-cycle case the algorithm solves. Then click play to see the animation.)

To apply these algorithms to solve your 5x5x5 cube correctly, you need to rotate your cube appropriately to match the cube in the cube applet. (And, just in case you're confused on how to rotate your cube correctly, we can't help you with that unless you give us your specific case in picture form.)

Last edited: