• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Review] 66mm DaYan+MF8 4x4x4

What do you think of this puzzle?

• Excellent

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Above Average

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Average

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Below Average

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Poor

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
YouTube
Visit Channel
Where the puzzle was purchased: someone on here
When the puzzle was purchased: Ordered january 2011
Thoughts on the puzzle: really nice its very smooth and I got my first sub 2 min solve on it.

dantheman

Bought off Ebay from BellCube
Purchased Decemeber 2011

I find it to be a great cube.

Pros: Cut corners on the middle layer an entire piece; Cuts corners on the outside and entire piece
Very fast; Never locks up

Cons: Big; Pops all the time;
You can adjust the tension--however, in order for the cube to not pop, it must be tightened all the way. My only concern is that it will be too loose overtime

MrRubiksUFO

WCA
2011DERS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Dayan+MF8 4x4x4 (mini) [Review]

This thread is for reviews of the Dayan+MF8 4x4x4 (mini). You can vote in the poll above, but please only vote if you own this particular puzzle.

When posting your review, please follow a template similar to this:

• Where the puzzle was purchased:
  • When the puzzle was purchased:
  • Thoughts on the puzzle:
What are your thoughts of this puzzle? Please vote one of the options above - but please only vote if you own and have used this puzzle extensively!

Last edited by a moderator:

MrRubiksUFO

WCA
2011DERS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Dayan+MF8 4x4x4 (mini) [Review]

As I have read a lot things about this cube, I decided to make a review of mine and to clear up some things (I hope i can).

First of all, in my opinion there are good and bad Mini Dayans (that's how I will call it now). I don't know what makes the bad ones bad and the good ones good, it seems to be just like with V-Cubes; there are big quality differences, too.
To difference between good and bad Mini Dayans, it would be good if you could test some out. I once had one which I actually could not turn (nothing) until I put some Maru in. When I got my new one, I could turn the outer layers without any lubing and they were already a little bit smooth. Those Mini Dayans seem to be the ones which can become quite good.

My review is about one of these, a black Mini Dayan. I did a little modification to it: I replaced the springs with Shengshou 6x6 springs with the result of better cornercutting. My cube is lubed with lubix (for the core) and with maru (for the pieces).

Speed:

The inner layers are pretty fast, but you can still control them well (this is another result of changing the springs). The outer layers are slower, but still fast enough to do fingertricks and to turn quite fast.
Innerlayers get 9/10, the outer layers 7/10.

Cornercutting:

The cornercutting of this 4x4 is also nice. It isn't as good as the my big Dayan, but it cuts almost a piece (outer layers) and 1 piece for the inner layer.
It gets 8/10.

Lock-Ups:

The inner layers of my cube never lock up because of the great cornercutting and the control you get when you turn. The outer layers lock up a lot more, mostly when you turn to fast. But as the corner cutting was increased here, it isn't too bad at all.
Inner layers get 9/10, outer layers 6/10.

Pops:

My cube sometimes pops. It doesn't explode, only one edge comes out. My cube is set on a quite loose tension, so I think with adjusting it could be improved. But I like my cube at this tension, so I won't change it.
It gets 7/10, because it doesn't happen too often, and it doesn't fall apart when it pops.

Overall, this is a nice cube, not my main (this is the Big Dayan), but i like it to play around with it. For cubers with a calm turning style it could be nice.
From me it gets 8/10 points.

I hope I could help you a little with this cube. It isn't bad at all.

izovire

WCA
2009VROO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Mini dayan is main cube and I love it. To mod it I use http://rubikvn.org/forum/printthread.php?tid=12942 ; IZO Zhanchi Corner Mod for corner and MMAP v cube 5 mod for corner cutting.

I thought about doing that but never got around to it. This is my main cube too! It feels like my prototype mini QJ from long ago (which I broke b/c anger).

The mini Dayan is discontinued and the new Dayan 4x4 will replace it. From what I heard it will be 6.2cm or the same as SS.

Rubiksfreak

I think this a poor puzzle, the inner layers are good but the outter layers are horrible. Too many lock ups, just a bad cube overall.