• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Other events for Weekly competition

Which events should be added to the weekly competition?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
maybe it could be like this week: i send my solution, but i write the time and a note, that this solution out of competition.

I for one am happy to see such solutions. If Mats is okay with it, I think it's great if you do that! But I know Mats had trouble a few weeks ago with it. If he says it's okay (perhaps he can give you a way to easily mark it so it won't show up in his results), I think it would be great if you do that. Perhaps you can first give your under an hour solution, and then give your best solution, so you can have one that counts as well.

You may have seen that I often do non-BLD events BLD. Obviously not the best way for me to get good results, but it's fun, so I do them anyway. I can't do it in an official competition because it slows everyone down, but here it doesn't hurt anyone.

Attila

WCA
2012HORV01
I for one am happy to see such solutions. If Mats is okay with it, I think it's great if you do that! But I know Mats had trouble a few weeks ago with it. If he says it's okay (perhaps he can give you a way to easily mark it so it won't show up in his results), I think it would be great if you do that.
OK, i waiting for Mats reply. I am happy, that we agree :)

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have about decided to add skewb to the weekly competitions starting the beginning of 2011. There seems to be much demand for it, the Kirjava-Meep method has advanced it a good bit, and there is even the possibility it might be added as an official event. Skewb is clearly in a class by itself with regard to history and popularity among non-added events. It is unfortunately true that not many people did skewb during the Christmas Competition 2010 (just 3), but then, it appears that the Christmas Competition was unfortunately not very heavily participated in as a whole. :( Lots of people had good intentions, but not many people entered times. It is still a few hours from the end, though, so maybe a bunch of results will roll in at the last minute.

Since Mats and I are now running these competitions, I am also inclined to add 6x6x6 and 7x7x7 BLD as events. I'm still thinking about these (and I don't have long to think about them, since I need to get the new competition out soon). It is true that these events were even more popular (so far, as of the time of this posting) than skewb in the Christmas Competition - 4 people tried them (me, Mats, Chris, Daniel). If there are no objections, I may add them as well. If so, I'm inclined to follow the same rules that Arnaud initially had for them: 3 scrambles provided; you receive participation points even if you do just one.

MatsBergsten

Premium Member
WCA
2008BERG04
Since Mats and I are now running these competitions, I am also inclined to add 6x6x6 and 7x7x7 BLD as events.

Of course I am for big big BLD, but it might suffice with one scramble each week.
Arnauds rule of one to get participation points is ok for me too.

If you add Skewb you have to decide how hard it is compared to other events for the
program to count. I have never even held one in my hand. Can it be compared to Square-1
for instance? (as how hard it is to solve).

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Of course I am for big big BLD, but it might suffice with one scramble each week.
Arnauds rule of one to get participation points is ok for me too.
I'm okay with just providing one scramble. I doubt I would ever do more than one anyway, except when I decide to do 7x7x7 multi. :) So maybe I'll just give one scramble.

If you add Skewb you have to decide how hard it is compared to other events for the
program to count. I have never even held one in my hand. Can it be compared to Square-1
for instance? (as how hard it is to solve).
I think we should just treat it the same as a 2x2x2. I see no reason to overly encourage competition; we can see how popular it actually is. As far as speed solving, it's going to eventually be somewhere between 2x2x2 and 3x3x3 in speed - probably never as fast as 2x2x2, but always faster than 3x3x3.

Since Skewb is being added, can we remove MTS? :) I hate doing it and I know I'm not the only one. We just do it for points. :mad:
In honor of Arnaud being the person to start these competitions and run them for the first several years, since he loved MTS, I will not remove it except by his request.

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm okay with just providing one scramble. I doubt I would ever do more than one anyway, except when I decide to do 7x7x7 multi. :) So maybe I'll just give one scramble.

:tu I would be fine with this as well, it's probably about as much as I would be able to handle on a weekly basis anyway. If I want to do more than that I'll just use the speedsolve scrambles.

MaeLSTRoM

WCA
2011WALL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Sorry for the bump, but this is what the thread is for.

I would like to suggest Gigaminx and 3x3x5.
I think Gigaminx should be 1 solve a week, like 6BLD/7BLD becuase it takes a long time.
I think 3x3x5 should be Ao5 becuase it doesn't take that long.

Let me know what you think. :)

JianhanC

WCA
2010CHOO02
May I suggest 8x8? I know not many people bother solving or even own one but it would be fun and motivational for those who have one. Mo3 would be suffice.