• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

My Review of Guhong

dynasty

My Red Dayan Guhong and Maru lube came in the mail today from Lightake.com. These lightake guys never fail to impress me. The package came without a hitch in 8 days!! They even included tracking information (because my order was over $15). I highly recommended Lightake, as I always say. On to the review;

Out of the box my cube came pre-lubed. And on my first rotation, IT...SPUN...FAST. Amazing. I instantly realized it was better than my F II and Alpha V, in literally a fraction of a second.

Quality/feel: The Guhong is more solid than the F II but less "tight" than the Alpha V. Its corners are kind of sharp and the quality of the plastic doesn't stand out but it's definitely an upgrade to the F II. I personally prefer the smaller profile of the Alpha V, but I'll take the speed and smoothness of the Guhong over that A V any day.

Sound: When I rotate the cube to do my solves or finger tricks, it sounds like when my grandma shuffles mah jong tiles. It's very unique but somewhat annoying because the volume is somewhere between the buttery silent F II and the clickity clack Alpha V, both of which I prefer more.

Speed: Without even adding any of my new Maru lube yet, this cube is my fastest ever, even out of the box. The cube kind of feels like it's going to pop on me. That's how fast it is. I've contemplated tightening the tension -- then I remember that it hasn't popped on me, so nothing to worry about yet.

Smoothness: Honestly, the Guhong is not as smooth as the F II and much smoother than the Alpha V. That doesn't matter though, because the Guhong is more tactile and responsive than the F II and doesn't overshoot nearly as much.

Corner cutting: The best ever, period. All those claims of 45 degree corner cutting are absolutely true. Reverse corner cutting I can get to 30 degrees.

The Guhong combines the best of both worlds from the Alpha V and F II, plus amazing corner cutting. If you were forced to own only one cube, the Guhong would be it. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

blakedacuber

Premium Member
WCA
2010BOWE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
My Red Dayan Guhong and Maru lube came in the mail today from Lightake.com. These lightake guys never fail to impress me. The package came without a hitch in 8 days!! They even included tracking information (because my order was over $15). I highly recommended Lightake, as I always say. On to the review;

Out of the box my cube came pre-lubed. And on my first rotation, IT...SPUN...FAST. Amazing. I instantly realized it was better than my F II and Alpha V, in literally a fraction of a second.

Quality/feel: The Guhong is more solid than the F II but less "tight" than the Alpha V. Its corners are kind of sharp and the quality of the plastic doesn't stand out but it's definitely an upgrade to the F II. I personally prefer the smaller profile of the Alpha V, but I'll take the speed and smoothness of the Guhong over that A V any day.

Sound: When I rotate the cube to do my solves or finger tricks, it sounds like when my grandma shuffles mah jong tiles. It's very unique but somewhat annoying because the volume is somewhere between the buttery silent F II and the clickity clack Alpha V, both of which I prefer more.

Speed: Without even adding any of my new Maru lube yet, this cube is my fastest ever, even out of the box. The cube kind of feels like it's going to pop on me. That's how fast it is. I've contemplated tightening the tension -- then I remember that it hasn't popped on me, so nothing to worry about yet.

Smoothness: Honestly, the Guhong is not as smooth as the F II and much smoother than the Alpha V. That doesn't matter though, because the Guhong is more tactile and responsive than the F II and doesn't overshoot nearly as much.

Corner cutting: The best ever, period. All those claims of 45 degree corner cutting are absolutely true. Reverse corner cutting I can get to 30 degrees.

The Guhong combines the best of both worlds from the Alpha V and F II, plus amazing corner cutting. If you were forced to own only one cube, the Guhong would be it. Thanks for reading!

good, fair review.. this is exactly how i would describe it

Joker

YouTube
Visit Channel
Nice review.
But...from all the other reviews I heard, the GuHong isn't supposed to be stable (compared to the F-II/Haiyan)...and I really like a stable cube lol...

FatBoyXPC

WCA
2010LACH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
blakedacuber: You really did not need to quote that.

Joker: You should get your own GuHong and play with it, they are very versatile cubes. You really shouldn't knock any of these cubes unless you get hands down solids on things you dislike. Just off the reviews I've seen, the reviews are very inconclusive, and a lot of the cube depends on your tension settings.

OP: Fair review. I'd say your experience differs a bit from mine, but again, tensions mean a lot with this cube. Was your cube lubed out of the box? GuHong is quite notorious for having a lot of resistance prior to being lubed at all, but then they become such a great cube.

dynasty

OP: Fair review. I'd say your experience differs a bit from mine, but again, tensions mean a lot with this cube. Was your cube lubed out of the box? GuHong is quite notorious for having a lot of resistance prior to being lubed at all, but then they become such a great cube.

Haha I know, I've heard about this. That's why I bought the Maru lube with it, but I didnt even need it! So yes, it seems to have come pre-lubed. I did put a couple of drops on it though just to put my Maru to use. Not much change. Just a couple of notes since I've been playing with the Guhong more:

- The corners are very sharp due to the 2-piece corner design.
- The stickers are somewhat atrocious; Every face/color seems to have at least 2 bubbles.
-The use of the Maru lube has somewhat quieted my cube - now it sounds more like an F II. :D

Last edited:

dynasty

San Francisco resident here. Ok 8 BUSINESS days, to be fair. I usually purchase on Thursday/Friday, I don't know why -- probably because I need to de-stress at the end of the week and buy cubes. Also because I do my research on what to buy that week of. And I'm not ready to buy until Th/Fr. So, I order on Thursday afternoon or Friday morning and it always comes the next next monday (so I have to wait 2 weekends). This is the 5th time that's happened - I'm really not kidding when I say I always order on Thursday/Friday. Haha...

Point is, LT never "holds" my order. Always gets pushed through expediently.

WCA
2010LECA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
San Francisco resident here. Ok 8 BUSINESS days, to be fair. I usually purchase on Thursday/Friday, I don't know why -- probably because I need to de-stress at the end of the week and buy cubes. Also because I do my research on what to buy that week of. And I'm not ready to buy until Th/Fr. So, I order on Thursday afternoon or Friday morning and it always comes the next next monday (so I have to wait 2 weekends). This is the 5th time that's happened - I'm really not kidding when I say I always order on Thursday/Friday. Haha...

Point is, LT never "holds" my order. Always gets pushed through expediently.

w00t. A Californian. Maybe I should order from there now :D...wait, no Paypal
-_-

Rpotts

WCA
2010POTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yea i just used one for the first time tonight. Lubed with 3 drops of maru, although it didn't really feel faster after applying it. VERY fast cube, ridiculous corner cutting. Rarely lock up on PLLs and you can basically turn as fast as you can. Prone to explosive pops. Small standard stickers kinda suck but pretty much everyone changes them anyway.