• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Confirmation Screen for Bumping Old Threads

riffz

WCA
2009HOLT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So as you all know, people have been bumping very old threads without contributing anything to the discussion, and I know that a lot of us find it to be quite annoying.

I propose that a confirmation page be displayed when a user is making a post in a thread who's last reply was X months ago. The pop-up/page would simply warn the user of how old the thread is, making sure that they realize before posting.

I was talking to Joey about it on IRC and he linked me this:
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=96850

What do you think? I don't imagine it would be very difficult to code even if you didn't want to use the above "hack"

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes, but such posters have repeatedly made the same observation. If they create a new thread that matches an old thread, a mod will probably merge it with the older version eventually. Also, the poster will likely be flamed several times in the new thread for making that repeat thread.

I'm not disagreeing with this being implemented, but I can see a likely outcome of this. Someone will have something to say in the context of an old thread. They will click the checkbox saying that they understand that they are bumping an old thread, and then they will still be flamed anyway for bumping the old thread.

From my perspective this is a lose-lose scenario for new posters who want to contribute to any past topic. Personally, I think it is probably better to still bump the old thread compared to creating a new one and having me, or some other mod, eventually merge it with the older thread anyway.

Chris

riffz

WCA
2009HOLT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Personally, I think it is probably better to still bump the old thread compared to creating a new one and having me, or some other mod, eventually merge it with the older thread anyway.

In many situations this is true, but I think that a lot of the time people are bumping extremely old threads with nothing to contribute, only because they don't realize how old it is. It's just a warning, so they can make up their own minds regardless.

I'd like to know for what reason people find it annoying.

Well, often these old threads contain outdated information and can be misleading. I myself have clicked on quite a few threads and been confused at first, until I realize how old it is.

JeffDelucia

WCA
2010DELU01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Personally, I think it is probably better to still bump the old thread compared to creating a new one and having me, or some other mod, eventually merge it with the older thread anyway.

In many situations this is true, but I think that a lot of the time people are bumping extremely old threads with nothing to contribute, only because they don't realize how old it is. It's just a warning, so they can make up their own minds regardless.

I'd like to know for what reason people find it annoying.

Well, often these old threads contain outdated information and can be misleading. I myself have clicked on quite a few threads and been confused at first, until I realize how old it is.

The problem I see isn't the age of the thread but the lack of input.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Something like this would help, and I will install it after I upgrade (I doubt it will be compatible with vB 4.0 though, so may have to do some work on it).

Yes, but such posters have repeatedly made the same observation. If they create a new thread that matches an old thread, a mod will probably merge it with the older version eventually. Also, the poster will likely be flamed several times in the new thread for making that repeat thread.

I'm not disagreeing with this being implemented, but I can see a likely outcome of this. Someone will have something to say in the context of an old thread. They will click the checkbox saying that they understand that they are bumping an old thread, and then they will still be flamed anyway for bumping the old thread.

From my perspective this is a lose-lose scenario for new posters who want to contribute to any past topic. Personally, I think it is probably better to still bump the old thread compared to creating a new one and having me, or some other mod, eventually merge it with the older thread anyway.

Chris
You're right, Chris. I think the only way to solve this is to start giving infractions to the people who start flaming (so it no longer is a lose-lose). Once we get the new set of rules in place, it will definitely help.

I think the biggest problem with people "bumping" old threads is that they aren't aware of the topic date, so the suggested hack should help.