• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Search Function does not work...

JeffDelucia

WCA
2010DELU01
YouTube
Visit Channel
When I try to search for a thread no matter what i put in the search box I only get the homepage threads as a result. Is anyone else having this problem and is there anything I can do about it? (I am using chrome 5.0.375.55 on windows vista)

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
I'm using the search function built into the webpage. I searched "What cube to use for OH" searching through all threads and posts and i got the homepage threads as a result.
Even though you solved your problem, I'm curious why this was happening. What do I need to do to replicate it? I searched using that query on the vB search and on the Google CSE and neither directed me to the homepage.

JeffDelucia

WCA
2010DELU01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm using the search function built into the webpage. I searched "What cube to use for OH" searching through all threads and posts and i got the homepage threads as a result.
Even though you solved your problem, I'm curious why this was happening. What do I need to do to replicate it? I searched using that query on the vB search and on the Google CSE and neither directed me to the homepage.

It wasn't that it directed me to the homepage but it gave me the threads that are on the homepage as the top search results.

Carson

Premium Member
WCA
2008PENT01
Change the sort option to "relevancy" before hitting search.

By default, vBulletin searches for posts/threads that contain ANY of those words and returns them based on the most recent. Searching for [What cube to use for OH] will return ALL threads that contain any of those words. How many threads do you think do not contain the word "to"? That is why it returns the same list as the homepage. Using "relevance" to sort will direct vBulletin to use some additional options like checking to see HOW MANY of those words match. Perhaps it would be possible to have the search feature use "relevancy" as the default order for results?

This is likely part of the reason that beginners post repeated topics.