• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

877cms

Hi, I've just got my first dayan zanchi cube, dissasembled and rebuilt/lubed it with puzl silcone as per the youtube video by crazybadcuber
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4paID_54lQ&list=FLJLlxNBkyl5scXwThcWDE9Q
I am just checking as it didnt seem like a lot of lube went into the inside of the cube (see 13:55 and 14:25), most of the emphasis was on the face pieces.

My cube moves ok'ish but it's a bit stiff, the side seem to have a lot of friction . Might be a tensioning problem? Also when I try to cut about 45degrees the face covers pop off, is that usual?
Thanks

Anyone help please? The cube is still sticking particularly at very slow speeds. I don't mind starting again with another lube if it will yield better results.
Thanks

Take off the top layer, wipe all the cubies that you took off completely clean with a tissue. Also wipe the top of the cube itself (what they were sitting on)

Then reassemble and work it in proper, see if it improves speed. If it does, great. Work in what is in there and repeat if it is still too sticky. :)

877cms

Take off the top layer, wipe all the cubies that you took off completely clean with a tissue. Also wipe the top of the cube itself (what they were sitting on)

Then reassemble and work it in proper, see if it improves speed. If it does, great. Work in what is in there and repeat if it is still too sticky. :)

Thank you I will give it a try, I just didn't want to put too much lube in there :)

You might have already put too much in there, hence my tissue and wipe off idea. Some cubes need much less for some reason. I have various zhanchis and all pretty much are the same, just a few are different. Why? Not a clue, but they feel sluggish, and when I take some lube out with the above simple doings it's fixed. :)

SenileGenXer

I have been having a lot of fun lubing up my cubes like crazy bad cuber does for his zhanchi. Even on bigger cubes taking them all the way apart and lubing up the springs and screws in the center pieces and not much else has gone a long long way to awesome land.

This effect doesn't work on the Shengshou 6x6. The centers absolutely do not turn in stead retained pieces move around the fixed and hidden centers. Right now my SS 6x6 is over lubed with lubex and feeling sluggish as a result.

My questions are about Maru. How does mixing lubex and Maru work for people? Can you keep the springs screw and centers packed with the thick grease like lubex and let the outer parts be done by the maru? If I put Maru in my overdone 6x6 will it mix with the lubex and help thin it out? Is Maru better for big cubes with such tight internal spaces and static friction? Is there a stateside store anyone like to get they Maru from? Why is it called Maru?

Good for your on lubing the cube. Lubix or Traxxas all the way for the bigger cubes.

The only thing to do to an overlubed cube is take the excess out.

I suggest taking two layers, or a corner section, out from the cube, wipe the loop from the cube where you can reach, wipe all the pieces clean and reassemble and work the remainder in again. Still too sluggish, repeat the process.

It'll get better. I lubed my 6x6 with Lubix as well (I use traxxas 50k these days, much cheaper and it's practically the same stuff) and it turned like a dream afterward :)

Maru lube I have only seen once, it is like water almost, milky-ish, and someone applied it to a cube of a friend. I found it did nothing to be honest; the cube had already been lubed with Lubix, and the Maru didn't change or add to the feel. But maybe it will on a dry cube not lubed with something like Lubix or Traxxas.

SenileGenXer

Not correct. I thought that as well, but nope that is not the case, they do move, you just don't notice :)

The centers on my 6x6 with the spring in them have a "pin fix" on top to keep the core from being misaligned. It needs to be in a specific place so the centers are keyed onto the core. They don't rotate and they are only allowed to be in one position. It's like the new V-cube 4x4. Predates it but looks alike.

There are two retained pieces on each center. They are square on the outside and round on the inside. There is a piece that corresponds to a 7x7 center and a deeper one that corresponds to a 3x3 center. It's takes going in deep to really see the 3x3 one but they are both retained and move around the actual center.

Lubing up the springs, inside of the actual centers, and core contact points like 3x3 isn't going to do too much for my 6x6.

Last edited:
R

Ramo

Lubix vs. Lubicle

Which lube is better, Lubix or Lubicle? If lubicle, which one?

Look up on the internet how to lube your dayan cube by crazybadcuber. That is how I lube pretty much all my cubes (bigger ones slightly different), and you can see how easy it is. I would do it yourself and not spend the money on something that simple :)