• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

"new" is broken for me

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The last few days I've been having big trouble with the "new" functionality. The "New Posts" page shows me threads I've already read completely (it even shows the solved cube icon next to them) and clicking the "Go to first new post" in front of a thread name doesn't get me to where it should but to a post on an earlier page even though I've read until a later page already.

I just deleted my speedsolving.com and www.speedsolving.com cookies, deleted my browser cache, restarted computer and browser. Didn't help. I'm using Opera 10.52 on Win XP.

Anybody else have this problem? Was the forum changed somehow?

WCA
2010MINE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Something like this happens to me on youtube. I watch a subscription video, then the next day, it appears again.

And, right now, when I watch a subscription video, it doesn't go away. I have to keep on trying every couple of hours until it goes away.

O

Owen

Something like this happens to me on youtube. I watch a subscription video, then the next day, it appears again.

And, right now, when I watch a subscription video, it doesn't go away. I have to keep on trying every couple of hours until it goes away.

Me too.

r_517

Premium Member
WCA
2009WANG19
The "New Posts" page shows me threads I've already read completely (it even shows the solved cube icon next to them) and clicking the "Go to first new post" in front of a thread name doesn't get me to where it should but to a post on an earlier page even though I've read until a later page already.

sometimes when i click on a thread which there were new replies, it didn't lead me to that new reply but to a random page which i've already read. and it often happens, even if i cleared my cookie. however after several hours it goes back to normal. dont know why

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Forgot: The last few days the "New Posts" page also often showed me "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms", even though I still have many unread threads and of course I didn't enter *any* terms, I just clicked on "New Posts" in the menu. Just happened again.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
The last few days I've been having big trouble with the "new" functionality. The "New Posts" page shows me threads I've already read completely (it even shows the solved cube icon next to them) and clicking the "Go to first new post" in front of a thread name doesn't get me to where it should but to a post on an earlier page even though I've read until a later page already.

I just deleted my speedsolving.com and www.speedsolving.com cookies, deleted my browser cache, restarted computer and browser. Didn't help. I'm using Opera 10.52 on Win XP.

Anybody else have this problem? Was the forum changed somehow?
I'm fairly sure there were no recent changes made that would cause this. It just started happening a couple days ago? What day exactly?

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Not sure, I'd say 3-4 days ago. If the site didn't change, maybe the Opera 10.52 update introduced some incompatibility, that was a few days ago as well.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
The site didn't change then (as far as I am aware of). Is anyone else experiencing this issue, and not using Opera 10.52?

I suspect it is Opera 10.52. Since speedsolving.com is using an older version of vB (3.6.7), this compatibility issue may be fixed in later versions (which I hope to update to this summer).

Last edited:

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hmm, now that you pointed out the forum version age... two more issues, maybe technically related:

- Often when I click somewhere on the page, even on links or empty space, I get to Haiyan's shop. It's like clicking the top ad. Only noticed this in Opera, though I don't try other browsers much.

- Sometimes in a forum, clicking "Forum Tools" or then "Mark This Forum Read" (don't remember which one of the two steps) doesn't work and I'm instead jumped to the bottom of the page. Noticed both in Opera and Chrome.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
I'd expect these to be resolved during the upgrade I plan to do this summer. I don't know of any other solution for the time being other than using a different browser. I use Firefox (on Mac OSX) and it works fine (all the problems Stefan mentioned don't happen).

Off-topic: It makes be wonder. Over the years, I've seen the web change drastically in terms of designing a page. There are so many more browsers out these days, and they typically render pages differently. Making a page look/function the same in all is becoming more and more difficult. Is it up to the web designer to make the pages render correctly in all, or is it up to each browser to render pages correctly (assuming the code is valid)? It is a shady question.

Last edited:

Cride5

Premium Member
WCA
2009RIDE01
Off-topic: It makes be wonder. Over the years, I've seen the web change drastically in terms of designing a page. There are so many more browsers out these days, and they typically render pages differently. Making a page look/function the same in all is becoming more and more difficult. Is it up to the web designer to make the pages render correctly in all, or is it up to each browser to render pages correctly (assuming the code is valid)? It is a shady question.

A bit of both really. A responsible web developer will make sure their apps render correctly in the major browsers. However, the browser developers also have standards set out by the W3C, which most of the major browsers generally try to adhere to, with perhaps the exception of IE.

When I'm building a website, if it works in Firefox it will almost always render exactly the same in opera or chrome, and almost never renders the same in IE (version 6). Quite often, IE insists on doing things completely differently, which can be a pain to put right without hackey browser-dependent code. There are even rendering problems between versions of IE. If something works in IE6, it may not necessarily render correctly in IE7 ... its just a nightmare!

Something I can't stand to see on a website is a notice saying "This page is optimised for Microsoft Internet Exploder ... please switch blah blah blah...". As a linux user it really offends me!

I think the best thing anyone can do for the internet is not use Internet Explorer!

[/rant]

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Over the years, I've seen the web change drastically in terms of designing a page. There are so many more browsers out these days, and they typically render pages differently.

I got quite the opposite impression. As I've built several sites/pages recently and tested them in Opera, Chrome, Firefox and IE, I was surprised they all render them exactly the same. So I think it's getting easier, not harder, to create sites that work well in all browsers.

Johannes91

So I think it's getting easier, not harder, to create sites that work well in all browsers.
It definitely is, unless you are one of those who used to ignore all non-IE browsers because they had <10% market share. Now in addition to old versions of IE you need to support browsers that (more or less) follow the standards, and that might be a new thing to you.

JBCM627

WCA
2006MERT01
almost never renders the same in IE (version 6).
If something works in IE6, it may not necessarily render correctly in IE7 ... its just a nightmare!
According to wikipedia, IE6 allegedly has ~20% of the browser share. But in practice, I've found that this is way way off... I work on a number of sites, which generally get 2-3% of visitors using IE6. Since this number is only going to decline, we no longer keep IE6 in mind when designing sites.

I got quite the opposite impression. As I've built several sites/pages recently and tested them in Opera, Chrome, Firefox and IE, I was surprised they all render them exactly the same. So I think it's getting easier, not harder, to create sites that work well in all browsers.
This depends a lot on how you design the pages, and how complicated the design is. The recent pages I've seen you design have fairly simple layouts, and the more complicated of those are table-based, which tend to render more uniformly across browsers. Something like Garland (default Drupal theme used by the WCA) would be much more difficult to get to work across browsers.

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
- Sometimes in a forum, clicking "Forum Tools" or then "Mark This Forum Read" (don't remember which one of the two steps) doesn't work and I'm instead jumped to the bottom of the page.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I just realized there's another "Mark This Forum Read" link in the bottom left, that's what the jump to the bottom is good for. I had always used the one at the top right (in the "Forum Tools" popup box) and was totally puzzled by the jump to the bottom.

Suzanne

same here :s

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The "New Posts" page shows me threads I've already read completely (it even shows the solved cube icon next to them)

Just happened in Chrome as well. Though I doubt this is a browser issue, more likely a forum bug or "feature". I marked the whole "Speedcubing Help/Questions" as read, but the forum tells me there are still unread posts, but then again the icons disagree and there's no link to the newest unread post, either. I don't want to see these, I want to work towards an empty list and these threads being shown are a big nuisance.

Attachments

• new_broken.png
    new_broken.png
    18.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited: