• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

New forum section - "Meet the Cubists"

daniel0731ex

I was thinking that maybe we should have a new forum section at the "Competition Area" forum. It is for posting cube meets/gathering, or finding cubers in a certain area, etc.

In the PTT and MF8 forums they post cube meets at a regular basis, so people will know where and when they can gather immediately when the thread is posted.

I think having a seperate section will make it easier to know that there are gonna be cube meet-ups, because usually it is posted in the off-topic section, and sometimes when people skips the forum they will not know about the meet-up. Also, because the off-topic is often "flooded", this may even result in a vicsious circle of too less people joining and causing people to not host cube-meets..

Ultimately, i think it will make people think "having cube meets is a regular thing for cubers", and hence more will have the motivation to host cube-meets.

ElderKingpin

YouTube
Visit Channel
im up for this (which is strange, because i dont like agreeing with you..) i think itll help people connect with other cubers in the area, if any.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
There is no need for this. If you want meet-ups create a thread for the general area you live in, and then anyone that might go to a meet-up in that area can subscribe to that thread so they will always know when there will be a new meet-up.

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
No wonder it works for MF8 with its 130,000 members living in an area as large as the USA. If USA had that many, I'm sure they'd have more meetups as well.

A quick estimation:
China has 1.3 billion citizens.
MF8 has 130,000 members
=> 1 in 10,000 Chinese is an MF8 member
19 million people live in Shanghai
=> 1900 MF8 members live in Shanghai
I'd expect cities to have a higher cuber density and internet density than rural areas, so it might be even more.

One city with 2000+ cubers... makes it fairly easy to meet.

Do you know the number of cubers in PTT?

daniel0731ex

No wonder it works for MF8 with its 130,000 members living in an area as large as the USA. If USA had that many, I'm sure they'd have more meetups as well.

A quick estimation:
China has 1.3 billion citizens.
MF8 has 130,000 members
=> 1 in 10,000 Chinese is an MF8 member
19 million people live in Shanghai
=> 1900 MF8 members live in Shanghai
I'd expect cities to have a higher cuber density and internet density than rural areas, so it might be even more.

One city with 2000+ cubers... makes it fairly easy to meet.

Do you know the number of cubers in PTT?

1184 cubers (about 20% are inactive)

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Taiwan is much smaller, so let's talk area (makes more sense anyway, for USA vs China it just didn't matter cause they're about the same size).

Taiwan 13,892 miles^2
1184 PTT cubers

USA 3,794,101 miles^2
Would need 323,367 forum cubers for the same cubers/area density as Taiwan.

Now I'm interested in density of all countries. Might do that with WCA members...

daniel0731ex

it hink it'd be better to make it C/km^2 rather than km^2/C.

also, i said that in PTT 20% are inactive, not just 20% active cubers.

but still, you did an amazing job of making this so quickly.

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Those numbers are very small, though. But ok, I added it using "per 10000 km^2" (i.e. 100km x 100km, a reasonable size to imagine):
http://stefan-pochmann.info/cubieverse/cuber_density.html

I know. And I actually ignored it (because I'm sure other forums have inactive members as well, and I don't want to get into guessing how many).

Last edited:

daniel0731ex

Those numbers are very small, though. But ok, I added it using "per 10000 km^2" (i.e. 100km x 100km, a reasonable size to imagine):
http://stefan-pochmann.info/cubieverse/cuber_density.html

I know. And I actually ignored it (because I'm sure other forums have inactive members as well, and I don't want to get into guessing how many).

well, then maybe you can try per 1 km^2?

and if you ignored it, how come taiwan only have 360 cubers?

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
well, then maybe you can try per 1 km^2?
Like I said: That results in very small numbers. I don't find "0.000362 cubers" particularly meaningful.

and if you ignored it, how come taiwan only have 360 cubers?
As the page says, that's from WCA competitions. I had ignored the 20% estimate in my above calculation here in the thread.

Btw, now that I added the population-density, I made a [thread=20748]new thread[/thread] for this. Sorry having went somewhat off-topic here.

Last edited:

riffz

WCA
2009HOLT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think this is a good idea because it provides a good outlet to organize meets AND it gets those annoying threads such as "Speedcubing is Melbourne/Christchurch:p" that only certain members will ever want to read.

Who cares how active it is? The BLD forum barely has any activity either but its definitely better that it has a separate section.