• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Miwa

Hello. I am a beginner to speedcubing. I started cubing about 3 weeks ago and now I'm averaging 50-55 seconds with the CFOP method (with 2-look OLL and PLL of course). I am currently using the YJ Yulong Stickerless with no lube whatsoever. I'm ok with the cube even without a lube because it's my first speedcube (I used Rubik's Original before this), but I want to change to a better cube. Sure, I said that the cube's good. But I have experienced quite a few lockups and even, on some cases, pops. Turning also feels kinda heavy, but obviously lighter than Rubik's Original of course. Corner cutting aren't good either, but that's probably just because I didn't lube it.

For the new cube, my eyes are on Dayan Zanchi or Moyu Weilong + Maru Lube. Any suggestions?

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello. I am a beginner to speedcubing. I started cubing about 3 weeks ago and now I'm averaging 50-55 seconds with the CFOP method (with 2-look OLL and PLL of course). I am currently using the YJ Yulong Stickerless with no lube whatsoever. I'm ok with the cube even without a lube because it's my first speedcube (I used Rubik's Original before this), but I want to change to a better cube. Sure, I said that the cube's good. But I have experienced quite a few lockups and even, on some cases, pops. Turning also feels kinda heavy, but obviously lighter than Rubik's Original of course. Corner cutting aren't good either, but that's probably just because I didn't lube it.

For the new cube, my eyes are on Dayan Zanchi or Moyu Weilong + Maru Lube. Any suggestions?

Moyu Weilong is a good choice, for sure. But the YJ Yulong is very good, I've heard. I don't think you will see a lot of improvement. Probably what you need is to lube your current cube, adjust tensions to your liking, etc.

TraciAG

WCA
2015GAGU01
Any of those would work, the Weilong is probably fastest out of those.

But the Yulong is very controllable, as is the Guanlong.

If you like more cubed 3x3s, go with the Weilong. The Guanlong doesn't feel bubble like the Aolong, it's more smooth and dampening.

WCA
2014SRIT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Any of those would work, the Weilong is probably fastest out of those.

But the Yulong is very controllable, as is the Guanlong.

If you like more cubed 3x3s, go with the Weilong. The Guanlong doesn't feel bubble like the Aolong, it's more smooth and dampening.

I dont like the yulong or the guanlong's mechanism, Its just too simple and I like the weilong's mech
but i dont cubed 3x3's
Any suggestions ???

Funky Bunch

cube for the noob!

So I realize that the "what cube to get" question comes up alot. This however is just to help me decide between 3 cubes.

Some background info: I have never held or used a speedcube. I have a rubiks brand cube for about 2 years and when I picked it up the other day it was really stiff and crunchy (due to the lack of lube I would imagine). So I am a complete noob and decided its time to get going a bit faster.

So I want to get my first cube (maybe 2), after alot of searching and reading it seems that the 2 most recommended cubes are the Zhanchi and the WeiLong. Through my searching i was unable to find any good advice as to if these are good starter cubes (given I would have to learn speed cubing on it). All in all they seem to be fantastic cubes and lots of people love them. However I do not want to overestimate my skills (or the lack there of) and get the 'wrong' cube, ultimately resulting in me not being able to control the cube and struggling to learn.

So my question is this, which cube would you recommend to the complete novice? Would the Zhanchi or WeiLong fit the bill or is it better to start with something else?

PS, if this question has been asked and I somehow missed it, can you please post a link to the relevant thread/s

Last edited:

mmoncur

I'm a relative novice (barely sub-60) and I have a Yulong, Aolong v2, Zhanchi, and Fang Shi Shuang-ren. I wouldn't say any of them are "too fast". I did tighten a couple of them up a bit but they're all usable even when you're slow.

Any of those will be amazing to you coming from an old Rubik's, but I like the Aolong the best.

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
So I realize that the "what cube to get" question comes up alot. This however is just to help me decide between 3 cubes.

Some background info: I have never held or used a speedcube. I have a rubiks brand cube for about 2 years and when I picked it up the other day it was really stiff and crunchy (due to the lack of lube I would imagine). So I am a complete noob and decided its time to get going a bit faster.

So I want to get my first cube (maybe 2), after alot of searching and reading it seems that the 2 most recommended cubes are the Zhanchi and the WeiLong. Through my searching i was unable to find any good advice as to if these are good starter cubes (given I would have to learn speed cubing on it). All in all they seem to be fantastic cubes and lots of people love them. However I do not want to overestimate my skills (or the lack there of) and get the 'wrong' cube, ultimately resulting in me not being able to control the cube and struggling to learn.

So my question is this, which cube would you recommend to the complete novice? Would the Zhanchi or WeiLong fit the bill or is it better to start with something else?

PS, if this question has been asked and I somehow missed it, can you please post a link to the relevant thread/s

I'm a relative novice (barely sub-60) and I have a Yulong, Aolong v2, Zhanchi, and Fang Shi Shuang-ren. I wouldn't say any of them are "too fast". I did tighten a couple of them up a bit but they're all usable even when you're slow.

Any of those will be amazing to you coming from an old Rubik's, but I like the Aolong the best.

I agree with mmoncur in the basics. I don't think there are cubes too fast for anybody. Of course some will be more controllable for a beginner than others but this can also be modified with correct lubing, tensioning, etc.

Anyway regarding the conclusion that the best two cubes are Zhanchi and Weilong I disagree. Moyu cubes have become significantly better than Dayan and right now there are at least 4 o 5 Moyu / YJ cubes that I'd say are better than the Zhanchi.

If you really are thinking of buying two I would not get a Zhanchi and a Weilong because they are a bit similar in feeling (being the Weilong better IMHO), I would get a Weilong and another cube with different feeling to try and see what you like the most. For example, an Aolong (bubbly) or a Shengshou Aurora (buttery) or a Huanying / Liying (clacky) or a Sulong / Guanlong (don't know how to one-word define these, better approximation for Sulong would be elastic, but they are dirt-cheap both of them, so maybe you can throw in one of those as a 3rd cube for good measure, hehehe).

By the way, I didn't even recommend you my main, a YJ ChiLong because if feels also similar to the Weilong (not quite but somewhat similar) but you can try that one too if you want. Also I didn't recommend the Fhangshi shuanren even though it feels noticeably different to the others (sandy, scratchy and light) because I don't particularly like it and the colors of the stickers are terrible (orange is brown, yellow is mustard, blue and green are too dark and confusing under bad lighting..., I'm referring to the v2 57mm).

Last edited:

Funky Bunch

I agree with mmoncur in the basics. I don't think there are cubes too fast for anybody. Of course some will be more controllable for a beginner than others but this can also be modified with correct lubing, tensioning, etc.

Anyway regarding the conclusion that the best two cubes are Zhanchi and Weilong I disagree. Moyu cubes have become significantly better than Dayan and right now there are at least 4 o 5 Moyu / YJ cubes that I'd say are better than the Zhanchi.

If you really are thinking of buying two I would not get a Zhanchi and a Weilong because they are a bit similar in feeling (being the Weilong better IMHO), I would get a Weilong and another cube with different feeling to try and see what you like the most. For example, an Aolong (bubbly) or a Shengshou Aurora (buttery) or a Huanying / Liying (clacky) or a Sulong / Guanlong (don't know how to one-word define these, better approximation for Sulong would be elastic, but they are dirt-cheap both of them, so maybe you can throw in one of those as a 3rd cube for good measure, hehehe).

By the way, I didn't even recommend you my main, a YJ ChiLong because if feels also similar to the Weilong (not quite but somewhat similar) but you can try that one too if you want. Also I didn't recommend the Fhangshi shuanren even though it feels noticeably different to the others (sandy, scratchy and light) because I don't particularly like it and the colors of the stickers are terrible (orange is brown, yellow is mustard, blue and green are too dark and confusing under bad lighting..., I'm referring to the v2 57mm).

Thanks for the feedback guys. After spending the day doing even more research, I thought I may go with an Aolong. Then I changed my mind and was back to square one. Unfortunately I do not have the luxury of trying cubes before I buy (we only have 1 local online store) and the prices here are a lot more (the Aolong is running at about $23 without shipping) AND the range is very limited. My initial idea was to get a Weilong as well as a Sulong and that seems to be a good go as recommended by mafergut.

http://www.speedcubes.co.za/6-3x3x3?id_category=6&n=50 this is what is available to me, based on that, any other recommendations?

Remlap

Hello, i am wanting to get a 2x2 through 7x7 set. I don't mind getting each one from a different company, but unification would be cool.
Right now i mainly only use 3x3 for speed cubing, but i would like t get into 2x2-7x7, but i need to know what are some good cubes for each when speed cubing.
Right now i have the 3x3 rubik's, Rubik's speed cube and the Moyu Weilong (by far the best of the three)

Thanks,
Remlap

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello, i am wanting to get a 2x2 through 7x7 set. I don't mind getting each one from a different company, but unification would be cool.
Right now i mainly only use 3x3 for speed cubing, but i would like t get into 2x2-7x7, but i need to know what are some good cubes for each when speed cubing.
Right now i have the 3x3 rubik's, Rubik's speed cube and the Moyu Weilong (by far the best of the three)

Thanks,
Remlap

If you really want all of them to be from the same company and you want them to be really good, I'd recommend you to stick to your Weilong and get Moyus. Now they have them all up to 7x7: LingPo 2x2, AoSu 4x4, AoChuang 5x5, AoShi 6x6, AoFu 7x7.

Be warned, though, that you will have to be willing to burn some cash to get all of them as they cost $12, $27, $33, $39 & $48 at TheCubicle. Not sure if they can be bought cheaper in other stores.