• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

mDiPalma

I am interested in getting a new cube, and I have narrowed my choices down to either an Alpha V or a Moyu Aolong.

I have 2 AVs already, but neither is in full working capacity, but I recognize how well they perform. The Aolong is hyped, but I don't think any modern cube can outperform the Alpha V.

Thoughts?

TinaIsAwesome

WCA
2012BLAC02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am interested in getting a new cube, and I have narrowed my choices down to either an Alpha V or a Moyu Aolong.

I have 2 AVs already, but neither is in full working capacity, but I recognize how well they perform. The Aolong is hyped, but I don't think any modern cube can outperform the Alpha V.

Thoughts?

Wow the Alpha V is an old cube. It was pretty good in its day but it can't even compare to the new cubes on the market today. The AoLong is okay in my opinion and not the best but it will probably be many people's main cube. However, I suggest getting a WeiLong if you don't have one already. It's very fast and smooth and much, much better than the AV hands down.

Last edited:

Ninja Storm

WCA
2012ELLI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Wow the Alpha V is an old cube. It was pretty good in its day but it can't even compare to the new cubes on the market today. The AoLong is okay in my opinion but not the best and it will probably be many people's main cube. However, I suggest getting a WeiLong if you don't have one already. It's very fast and smooth and much, much better than the AV hands down.

This guy's been using the AV forever.

@Matt: why not both?

kcl

WCA
2013LEJE03
YouTube
Visit Channel

Thoughts?

I honestly can't tell if you're joking or serious. Literally any modern cube renders the AV useless. The aolong is amazing, go for it.

QQW

WCA
2014WANG26
I am planning to buy a 2x2 a 3x3 for OH and a 4x4.
I really like Dayan cubes

2x2: Dayan 50mm or 46mm? Speedcubing
3x3 OH: Dayan 42mm or 50mm?
4x4: Dayan/MF8 which size or moyu something?

2x2 max 15$ 3x3 max 15$ 4x4 max 15$ I live in Canada

TinaIsAwesome

WCA
2012BLAC02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am planning to buy a 2x2 a 3x3 for OH and a 4x4.
I really like Dayan cubes

2x2: Dayan 50mm or 46mm? Speedcubing
3x3 OH: Dayan 42mm or 50mm?
4x4: Dayan/MF8 which size or moyu something?

2x2 max 15$ 3x3 max 15$ 4x4 max 15$ I live in Canada

2x2: Dayan is a good option. It's very smooth but if you like clickier/crunchier cubes look into the LingPo. Oh and 50mm is the way to go unless you have smaller hands.
3x3 OH: 42mm Zhanchi is way too small even for me (I have small hands). I use a 50mm Zhanchi for OH but most people use a 55mm cube (I use 55mm Zhanchi for regular solving). Both are excellent cubes.
4x4: AoSu is the best but probably too expensive. When it comes to 4x4 cubes avoid Dayan, they're 4x4s aren't very good. I recommend ShengShou V5. Cheap but still good.

Note

WCA
2014LUCI02
If there are any competitions that involve Rubik's brand cubes, would their new speedcube be worth getting, or should I just get a regular Rubik's cube and lube/work it in?

TinaIsAwesome

WCA
2012BLAC02
YouTube
Visit Channel
If there are any competitions that involve Rubik's brand cubes, would their new speedcube be worth getting, or should I just get a regular Rubik's cube and lube/work it in?

It depends. I don't know a lot about those kinds of competitions but if the rules allow the new Rubik's Cube then I would probably go for it. That being said it is possible to turn a Rubik's Cube into a decent cube. Mind you, it won't even compare to the speedcubes of this generation but still, it can be improved with a little lubing, sanding, and breaking in.

Note

WCA
2014LUCI02
It depends. I don't know a lot about those kinds of competitions but if the rules allow the new Rubik's Cube then I would probably go for it. That being said it is possible to turn a Rubik's Cube into a decent cube. Mind you, it won't even compare to the speedcubes of this generation but still, it can be improved with a little lubing, sanding, and breaking in.
Thanks, also..best skewb out there?

PJKCuber

WCA
2014KULK02
I average around 45 seconds on a YJ Chilong. Should I get a new cube? My Chilong locks up way too much. Do you have any recommendations? I would like a slightly low costing cube(less than 15 dollars). I don't want any more YJ Cubes.

Last edited:

TinaIsAwesome

WCA
2012BLAC02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I average around 45 seconds on a YJ Chilong. Should I get a new cube? My Chilong locks up way too much. Do you have any recommendations? I would like a slightly low costing cube(less than 15 dollars). I don't want any more YJ Cubes.

Well to be honest YJ cubes are great beginner cubes, especially for you speed. If you're locking up a lot your cube may be too loose or you're going too fast. Tightening your cube or slowing down a bit and making clean corner cuts will probably lower your lock ups. Besides the SuLong/ChiLong there aren't too many other options but maybe try a ShengShou Aurora. It's slower than the ChiLong but much smoother. Another option is the FangShi ShuangRen V2. It's also very smooth but differs from other cubes because it has a scratchy feeling and is faster than the Aurora. They are both good cubes but I would probably recommend the FangShi unless you prefer clicky cube.

Prismatic

I've been searching a lot of stores but I can't seem to find a Fangshi Shuang Ren v2 that's 54.6 mm. So was there even one released?

PJKCuber

WCA
2014KULK02
I actually meant the ShengEn FII. I'll try out the Shuangren V2 as soon as I get a sub 35 average. HOw do you think it compares to a Zhanchi? I like smooth cubes(low noise) that have decent corner cutting etc. But I hate catches and lock ups. They ruin my solves. I heard on youtube that the shuangren is scratchy and crunchy/crisply feeling. What type of feeling do you think a Chilong has? Maybe clicky?