• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

RageCuber

WCA
2014RYAN03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Help. moyu huanying

Reply if you see this.

I need to make a quick decision, I use a guhong v2 stickerless(I like everything about except the constant pops).
but I want a legal cube. I was going to get the huanying (shadow cube) but I don't know if it fits my turn style.
I like smooth, speedy cubes. without any bumpiness.

Thanks, RageCuber

windhero

WCA
2013COCO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Reply if you see this.

I need to make a quick decision, I use a guhong v2 stickerless(I like everything about except the constant pops).
but I want a legal cube. I was going to get the huanying (shadow cube) but I don't know if it fits my turn style.
I like smooth, speedy cubes. without any bumpiness.

Thanks, RageCuber
I'd say just get a black guhong v2. My first real speedcube was a stickerless guhong v2 as well. Then I bought a zhanchi and CPM'ed it. It was smoother, faster but felt "loose" compared to the smooth guhong I was used to. Then I bought a Fangshi and that felt too loose and crunchy. Finally the weilong felt kinda similar though it is not as "compact" and smooth as the guhong. WeiLong is smooth, fast and performs really well but its not quite like a guhong in smoothness. It's not bumpy though.

windhero

WCA
2013COCO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I currently use a Shengshou 4x4 v4 and it's always catching.Is the MoYu Weisu significantly better than Ss v4?

The thing about v4 is that it has not quite as round internals as v5, so it needs a konsta mod. The V5 needs a very minor konsta mod too, to prevent the locking up of internal layers. The fix is very short and easy to do and it eliminates 95% of the lock ups.

The MoYu WeiSu locks up definitely less. It needs breaking in of around 75-100 solves; Before that it pops quite a bit. It has a "sluggish smooth feel to it". The WeiSu does not lock up whatsoever, corner cuts as much as shengshou BUT it is slower. If you're used to shengshou it might feel slow. Some cubers think that the WeiSu is much better, this includes world class cubers like Kevin Hays. Some world class cubers have very well modded SS 4x4s and think that their SS is better. I belong to the latter group (except that Im by no means a world class cuber, I just have an excellently modded 4x4)

So now what you have to decide is that do you want to get a SS v5, maybe mod it a tiny little bit and have a cube that is faster and might lock up once every 20 solves (Or just Konstamod your v4, because the end result is the same) or do you want a cube that never locks up but is considerably slower (more accurate)?

Modding requires some skill and getting back at it. Overmodding is a clear risk and infact the guideline is to undermod, try it out and then re-try modding a bit at a time. This can be (and is) quite frustrating. In the end it might just be worth it.

All considered I can only tell that I've solved my WeiSu like 800 times and I still prefer my well modded SS v5 over the Weisu. Dont get me wrong, the WeiSu is great. The ShengShou just fits my style better.

RageCuber

WCA
2014RYAN03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'd say just get a black guhong v2. My first real speedcube was a stickerless guhong v2 as well. Then I bought a zhanchi and CPM'ed it. It was smoother, faster but felt "loose" compared to the smooth guhong I was used to. Then I bought a Fangshi and that felt too loose and crunchy. Finally the weilong felt kinda similar though it is not as "compact" and smooth as the guhong. WeiLong is smooth, fast and performs really well but its not quite like a guhong in smoothness. It's not bumpy though.

I was thinking the same thing. but i want to try something different, i like a good variety, I have a 2x2 3x3 4x4 5x5 pyraminx megaminx.
and since this will be my only other speedcube (3x3) probably for a while i thought i'd try something different. Thanks for the reply :)

If you know about the moyu weilong please let me know.

P.S my PB 21 seconds (would have been sub 20 but i missed the space bar :( )

Whats cpm'ed?

Last edited:

Jack Stirling

Best Speed Cubes for 2x2x2-7x7x7?

Do you guys happen to have your own opinion on the best speed cubes for 2x2x2-7x7x7? If so, can you please post your favourites on this thread and help give me a basic idea on which cubes I should be buying from now on? If so, thanks!

Kind Regards

Jack Stirling :p

Raviorez

It depends of your turning style but here's my opinion.

2x2: Dayan 2x2
3x3: Moyu Weilong/ Fangshi Shuangren/ Dayan Zhanchi
4x4: Moyu Weisu
5x5: Shengshou
6x6: Shengshou
7x7: Shengshou

windhero

WCA
2013COCO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I was thinking the same thing. but i want to try something different, i like a good variety, I have a 2x2 3x3 4x4 5x5 pyraminx megaminx.
and since this will be my only other speedcube (3x3) probably for a while i thought i'd try something different. Thanks for the reply :)

If you know about the moyu weilong please let me know.

P.S my PB 21 seconds (would have been sub 20 but i missed the space bar :( )

Whats cpm'ed?

CPM means center piece mod, a mod shown at youtube by Izovire for example. It basically smoothens the zhanchi. If done well the zhanchi is very smooth after a CPM. It makes it faster and airier too.

WeiLong would probably be the choice for you if you want something different. The WeiLong has a different feel to it but it does perform better than a Guhong v2 (terms of pure performance like speed, cornercutting etc.)

So yeah, I'd say go with the WeiLong.

Do you guys happen to have your own opinion on the best speed cubes for 2x2x2-7x7x7? If so, can you please post your favourites on this thread and help give me a basic idea on which cubes I should be buying from now on? If so, thanks!

Kind Regards

Jack Stirling :p

2x2: Witwo v1 or Dayan 2x2 (there are many new ones from Funs Puzzle and by MoYu, check those out from youtube!)
3x3: MoYu WeiLong / Maru CX-3 / FangShi ShuangRen v2 / Gans III / Dayan Zhanchi / Dayan Guhong v2... and the list goes on. There are many options and there is no one best cube. It depends completely on your turning style.
4x4: MoYu WeiSu or ShengShou 4x4 v5. MoYu needs less breaking in that the ShengShou, but the ShengShou can be fixed with a fast mod. WeiSu is more accurate and smooth and ShengShou is faster and "airy".
5x5 & 6x6: ShengShou, latest version. Both need a florian mod to be great but they still work fine out of the box.
7x7: Most likely ShengShou Mini (Ling Long). The regular sized 7x7 is pretty big for anyone.

CADcubing1

What puzzle should I get next?

I have a pretty good collection so far. I have all 2x2-7x7 cubes, a rex cube, and some other weird puzzles but no shape shifters yet! What should I get next?!

CADcubing1

Square-1 or cuboids. Maybe 3x3x5 or 2x2x4.

Cool thanks. I played with a square one at a cube competition I went to recently and I found it very fun to play with and I really liked it. I've heard that the 3x3x5 is really fun and is definitely a must have for puzzle collectors.

TheNextFeliks

WCA
2013POPE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Cool thanks. I played with a square one at a cube competition I went to recently and I found it very fun to play with and I really liked it. I've heard that the 3x3x5 is really fun and is definitely a must have for puzzle collectors.

I love square-1. And it's an official event so you could do it at competitions. But I love cuboids too.