• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

elrog

YouTube
Visit Channel
I am debating on whether I want to get a stickerless Zhanchi or a regular Zhanchi with stickers. The reason for this is I want a cube where there are no stickers because my mom will never buy me stickers. I have to have her buy them because I have no way of paying for them for myself because I don't have paypal. Anyway my concern is that the colors on the stickerless Zhanchi are they good? Like does they blend in with each other, or do they stick out from each other like a half bright set?

I have a stickerless cube and a white cube. So far, my stickerless cube seems to be weaker plactic (probably because all of that die it has in it). I remember reading somewhere that plastic gets weaker as percent of dye in it increases. This makes logical sense because the dye isn't a durable material. For this reason: white cubes last longer than black ones, which last longer than stickerless. I've noticed that my stickerless cube always has alot of plastic dust in it that is from it being worn off from turning the cube. This isn't simply because I play with it more, because I actually play with the white one more.

jayefbe

WCA
2013BAHR02
I have a stickerless cube and a white cube. So far, my stickerless cube seems to be weaker plactic (probably because all of that die it has in it). I remember reading somewhere that plastic gets weaker as percent of dye in it increases. This makes logical sense because the dye isn't a durable material. For this reason: white cubes last longer than black ones, which last longer than stickerless. I've noticed that my stickerless cube always has alot of plastic dust in it that is from it being worn off from turning the cube. This isn't simply because I play with it more, because I actually play with the white one more.

White plastic requires more dye than black plastic. I don't think there is any variation due to differences in plastic color, any perceived differences are likely due to small sample size, and normal variation from one cube to another combined with small sample size.

SweetSolver

WCA
2014SWEE01
Hey, so I'm very interested in megaminx and pyraminx. I'm probably going to get the SS pyraminx, but I don't know if the Dayan or Shengshou Megaminx is better. Any advice? Thanks!

Yeah definately go for the SS Pyraminx, I got one recently and they are just amazing compared to other Pyraminx's. I'm not too sure about the Megaminx so you might have to get an answer from someone else for that, sorry!

chardison1980

YouTube
Visit Channel
ive only had the zanchi and the lunhui, and i really liked and used the lunhui a ton more than the zanchi, it kept popping on me no matter what i did to it, the lunhui never popped once ever no matter how hard i was on it, i had a sticker less version.

im not sure where to get the stacks timers from with out really looking into that, but ive read the reviews on the gen 3 are pretty good, and you should be able to hook it up to your computer.

pipkiksass

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi all, I'm about to make an order for some more cubes and could do with some advice. Currently I have a Rubik's brand (which I've retired!) and a Guhong 2 which I've modded and lubed and I get along with just fine. My main reason for buying more cubes (like I need to give one in the present company) is I've been trying to solve my Guhong OH and I have small hands. I have trouble getting my pinkie round for R' turns, although I've been working on my pinkie strength! Also I find when I DO get my pinkie round, it's catching on the stickers... sooooo I was thinking of maybe getting a stickerless mini Zhanchi for OH. Does 55mm vs 57mm really make any difference at all? Would 50mm be too small? Any thoughts or recommendations?

I know there's a OH size thread already, but it's practically dead and this thread is pretty active, so hopefully I'll get a quicker response here. Thanks!

kcl

WCA
2013LEJE03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah. On a different note, I'm wondering about the wittwo by amazon. It's sold by the shop on this site, and I guess endorsed by amazon. Is it v1?
So basically is the wittwo sold in speedsolving puzzle shop v1?

WCA
2010WOMA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah. On a different note, I'm wondering about the wittwo by amazon. It's sold by the shop on this site, and I guess endorsed by amazon. Is it v1?
So basically is the wittwo sold in speedsolving puzzle shop v1?

If the stores say its the WitTwo V1 then thats the cube there selling there all that same cube from WitEden.

MellowJello

Help out on some noob questions?

Hello everyone! :) I am new to this forum and I must say that the community here is great and quite helpful after using this forum as my main website for cube related questions. So, I figured that I should might as well make an account! Not only that, but I have finally decided to splurge some cash and purchase three puzzles that I have my eyes on: DaYan ZhanChi Stickerless, WitTwo V1 2x2 stickerless, and the DaYan Megaminx stickerless with ridges.

Now I have a several questions (sorry! ._.) regarding these three cubes... I apologize if these questions have already been answered, because after using the search function, I haven't been able to find the answer to my specific questions. So if there is indeed an answer to any of these, then they must be in the deep, dark depths of the threads. Either way, I apologize for my foolishness. Now for the questions:

1. Should I choose the GuHong V2 Stickerless over the ZhanChi stickerless? The GuHong V2 is pretty new, so I haven't seen much people talking about it. Especially the stickerless one. If anyone has experience with both, I would be grateful for your input. Please note that I do NOT plan on attending competitions. After explaining why, please vote your final answer for this question in the poll as well just for the convenience of others who are searching for the answer to this question. Thanks :)

2. If I do get either the Zhanchi or GuHong V2 Stickerless, is the black faced one worth it over the white faced one? Is there a difference performance wise? Im just wondering because I dont know if the black version is a special version or its just an alternate version for cosmetics.

3. Is there ever a preference to use a stickered cube over a stickerless one besides legality in competitive use? This regards to the 2x2, 3x3, and Megaminx.

4. Besides lubing my cube (planning on using Lubix), is modding it essential? What mods would be necessary for my 3x3 and 2x2 in order for their full potential to be brought out? I do not include my megaminx because....well it would be too hard haha!! XD Thanks again everybody! Great website, great community! Look forward to getting to know everyone! :)

Last edited:

SweetSolver

WCA
2014SWEE01
Doesn't matter whether you get black or white, doesn't effect performance. And there's no need to mod a WitTwo, or a ZhanChi for that matter. They are both great cubes straight out of the box.

KongShou

WCA
2013KONG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
What Dayan 3x3 has a crispy feeling like an Alpha-V but still turns extremely fast and cuts well.

id say all of them. but the zhanchi is widely regarded as the best one so just get that. they are all extremely fast and cuts well. if you want a crispy feel, get the lingyun. but i havent touched an alpha-V so i cant help you there. but lingyun is the crispy one.

MellowJello

Has anyone tried the GuHong V2 stickerless and the Zhanchi stickerless? Any thoughts on which is better? thanks.

kcl

WCA
2013LEJE03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello everyone! :) I am new to this forum and I must say that the community here is great and quite helpful after using this forum as my main website for cube related questions. So, I figured that I should might as well make an account! Not only that, but I have finally decided to splurge some cash and purchase three puzzles that I have my eyes on: DaYan ZhanChi Stickerless, WitTwo V1 2x2 stickerless, and the DaYan Megaminx stickerless with ridges.

Now I have a several questions (sorry! ._.) regarding these three cubes... I apologize if these questions have already been answered, because after using the search function, I haven't been able to find the answer to my specific questions. So if there is indeed an answer to any of these, then they must be in the deep, dark depths of the threads. Either way, I apologize for my foolishness. Now for the questions:

1. Should I choose the GuHong V2 Stickerless over the ZhanChi stickerless? The GuHong V2 is pretty new, so I haven't seen much people talking about it. Especially the stickerless one. If anyone has experience with both, I would be grateful for your input. Please note that I do NOT plan on attending competitions. After explaining why, please vote your final answer for this question in the poll as well just for the convenience of others who are searching for the answer to this question. Thanks :)

2. If I do get either the Zhanchi or GuHong V2 Stickerless, is the black faced one worth it over the white faced one? Is there a difference performance wise? Im just wondering because I dont know if the black version is a special version or its just an alternate version for cosmetics.

3. Is there ever a preference to use a stickered cube over a stickerless one besides legality in competitive use? This regards to the 2x2, 3x3, and Megaminx.

4. Besides lubing my cube (planning on using Lubix), is modding it essential? What mods would be necessary for my 3x3 and 2x2 in order for their full potential to be brought out? I do not include my megaminx because....well it would be too hard haha!! XD Thanks again everybody! Great website, great community! Look forward to getting to know everyone! :)

Ok this is gonna be a long one (NOT WHAT SHE SAID)

1. Personally I prefer the Zhanchi. I have a Gv2 and it has always seemed extremely slow even when perfectly tensioned and lubed. My zhanchi on the other hand is perfect if I overlube just a bit. It makes it fast but not uncontrollable, and it actually speeds up over time. Cool right?

2. The main difference between black and white cubes is recognition. Some people say White plastic is smoother, others say the same for black. I say BS and call them the same. I like the way white cubes look, and thus I use that.

3. Supposedly stickerless cubes turn more nicely than standard ones. For Guhong v2 and Zhanchi, I actually like my stickered versions better. Definitely go stickered for them all. It will save you a bit of money in the long run.

4. Modding is inessential for most cubes, unless there is a mod that drastically improves performance. (Florian/Konsta mod for SS, Pi mod for V cube 6, 48 PEM for Guhong)
Even then, modding is kind of a fast way to break in a cube. Depending on which 2x2, possibly.. Most likely not. Only mod is for V cube really, and it's to make it look like a wittwo. For your 3x3 probably not. If you get a zhanchi, I might recommend the center piece mod (by izovire) but DON'T do everything in the 7 mods to your zhanchi video. It makes it super loose. Also avoid sanding the bumps on the corners.. It increases popping. It's much easier to just shave that with a knife.

So yeah I hope that helps! It stole a few minutes of my avg of 100 away! jk haha

-Kennan