View Poll Results: What's your opinion on deadly force in response to domestice violence?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, deadly force should be legal

10 55.56%
  • No, deadly force should be illegal

4 22.22%
  • I haven't decided/I don't know

4 22.22%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Deadly force in response to domestic violence

YouTube
    kimcuber

Default Deadly force in response to domestic violence

Here's another debate. I'm getting ready to do the BDI (a comp at my debate class) and I've seen very many logical reasons on the abortion one. I'm decided to do deadly force in response to domestic violence or abortion.
    So, the question is: Do you think deadly force in response to domestic violence should be legal?
    BigGreen: CHOSONOON HANADA!

WCA Profile
    2009SMIT05
    YouTube
    musli4brekkies

I think the law is fine as it stands. If you kill someone inadvertently then it is manslaughter. I'd say defending yourself and accidentally killing your attacker in the process shouldn't count as murder, unless the killing turns malicious.
    My team sucks.

WCA Profile
    2010JUDD01

If the person in question is at risk of killing one or more people, I see no reason why they shouldn't try to stop him/her by any means necessary.

YouTube
    kimcuber

What about self-defense rights? (I haven't read them) doesn't it back up the deadly force usage?
    BigGreen: CHOSONOON HANADA!

WCA Profile
    2010JUDD01

Quote Originally Posted by koreancuber View Post
    What about self-defense rights? (I haven't read them) doesn't it back up the deadly force usage?
    Pretty sure it varies between the states. I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by koreancuber View Post
    Basically all states say if someone makes a very obvious threat to your life then you can do what you need to to defend yourself provided you can explain why you did it and show why you felt threatened - where states differ is in defense of others and defense of property.
    3x3 NLS/5/12 18.70 22.04 24.21

I don't know. I live in Portland and there have been many policemen shooting people recently. There is some serious backlash but people don't understand that things can really get out of hand. This becomes even more of a grey area without public officials to make the decisions. So, I don't know.

WCA Profile
    2006GOTT01
    YouTube
    qqwref2

I don't like the idea of deliberately using a defense that you know is likely to kill someone. If you defend yourself and someone ends up dead by accident, it's not really your fault, but if you know something might kill someone it isn't right to use it. I think I'd say that using force that you know is deadly is only acceptable if someone's life was clearly at risk.
    Computer cube PB averages of 12: [Clock: 5.72] [Pyraminx: 3.33] [Megaminx: 49.52]
    [2x2: 2.66] [3x3: 8.45] [4x4: 29.06] [5x5: 52.69] [6x6: 1:34.78] [7x7: 2:20.34]

Quote Originally Posted by qqwref View Post
    I don't like the idea of deliberately using a defense that you know is likely to kill someone. If you defend yourself and someone ends up dead by accident, it's not really your fault, but if you know something might kill someone it isn't right to use it. I think I'd say that using force that you know is deadly is only acceptable if someone's life was clearly at risk.
    How would you differentiate between someone just wanting to kick the **** out of you and wanting to kill you when you feel threatened and are in such a situation? If they have a knife in their hand are they trying to kill you? If they're choking you? How do you tell the difference and how much risk do you take to find that difference before taking action? It's a really iffy line that you're seeming to make black and white....
    3x3 NLS/5/12 18.70 22.04 24.21

WCA Profile
    2011KING01
    YouTube
    twistnturn44

I'd use 4Chan's pic, but it jsut wouldn't feel the same coming from me.

The poll is too umm, "yes, no" "black, white". My basic opinion is yes, but also a bit of no. I guess i'll be undecided.