• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

New cube simulator in Flash

ceptimus

Hi, I just joined. :)

I've been playing around with ActionScript (the language behind Flash applications) and I'm making a cube simulator. It works now, but there's still plenty to do.

It does any size of cube, but I've limited it to cubes up to 7x7x7 at the moment.

You can see it here: http://ceptimus.co.uk

Neo63

WCA
2008WUNE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
that's pretty good. Two things I think that you need

1) add a scramble button. I'm sure the scramble functions are available

2) add a timer. (unless this isn't meant to be like hi-games.net)

also keyboard input would be nice. at least a command line input.

ceptimus

You can press the number buttons (which also select the cube size) to reset the cube. I'll try to make the turning more intuitive and accurate in the next revision.

JBCM627

WCA
2006MERT01
Very nice. I would strongly prefer seeing a flash simulator as opposed to the [cumbersome] java applets that are widely used, so this is really a great start :)

ceptimus

Is there a preferred standard method for keyboard input? Does this work on all sizes of cube?

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Seems pretty cool. I like how you pillowed the 7x7.

I don't really like the turning, though - if you grab a sticker and drag it around it will instantly flip between one slice and a perpendicular one, which is really confusing. If possible, it should stay with one type of slice when you are dragging around, and not switch to another one. This doesn't feel or look natural. It's also kind of weird that you never seem to be able to do more than a quarter turn at a time. I've encountered situations where the turning is completely unintuitive, though; if the front face is in the right position, dragging the bottom-right sticker on it upwards can cause the bottom face to move (!!!) or cause the right face to move in the opposite direction. I also don't really like the double-click mechanism but I guess Flash isn't all that flexible with inputs so it makes sense.

Is there any chance of implementing hi-games controls and a timer? :p

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I implemented most of the keyboard input - but not the wide turns and hand shifts yet.

I made it work up to size 11x11x11.

Still working on scrambler, timer and improving mouse response.

Click here to try current version
Nice, mostly. The jumping is okay (queueing would be better), but moves should not get cancelled.

Also, if you'd like serious cubers to use it, I recommend you implement the Heise controls exactly and fully. Else, you get annoyed users. :p

JBCM627

WCA
2006MERT01
I implemented most of the keyboard input - but not the wide turns and hand shifts yet.

I made it work up to size 11x11x11.

Still working on scrambler, timer and improving mouse response.

Click here to try current version
Nice, mostly. The jumping is okay (queueing would be better), but moves should not get cancelled.

Also, if you'd like serious cubers to use it, I recommend you implement the Heise controls exactly and fully. Else, you get annoyed users. :p

Lucas, if ceptimus comes out with an API, I'd enjoy seeing this on alg.garron.us...

dbax0999

WCA
2009ADAM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've noticed some bugs with the rotations. Sometimes when i use the keyboard to rotate, some of the colors change. You've probably noticed this but just a 'fyi'.