• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Windows Mobile Scrambler/Timer (Work in Progress)

Carson

Premium Member
WCA
2008PENT01
Windows Mobile Scrambler/Timer (Pre_Alpha Release)

June 15 2010 - Version 1.01 Released

I am no longer developing or providing support for this application, as WinMo 6.5 is pretty antiquated now. I have had a few recent requests for the app recently, so I have fixed the download link to make it available. You may get a warning when downloading about the file being malicious... its just because most browser developers are intimidated by me.

DOWNLOAD!!!

Installation
Any of these methods will work:
  • Download the linked .cab file directly to your device via your mobile browser and run.
  • Download via your web browser and transfer to your mobile device via Active Sync/Windows Mobile Device Center/Mass Storage and then run the file from your mobile file manager
  • Any other clever way you may find to get the file on your device. (email, flash card swap, mms message, bluetooth, IR, etc)

NOTE: This version should work on any phone running Windows Mobile 6.0(Classic or Professional) or later with the .net Compact Framework 3.5 installed. Unfortunately, Windows Mobile Standard is not currently supported.

Currently Verified to Work on:
  • HTC FUZE (Should work on Diamond and Touch Pro as well since they are basically the same phone)
  • Palm Treo 750w
  • HTC Tilt 2 (Should work on Touch Pro 2, as it is the same phone)

Currently Verified NOT to Work on:
  • Samsung Blackjack
  • Samsung Blackjack II

Last edited:

Carson

Premium Member
WCA
2008PENT01
Screenshots:
Version: 1.01

Sorry, no screenshots. My web host went out of business with no warning and I didn't have them backed up, so I can't make anymore. I also no longer use Windows Mobile, so that isn't an option.

Last edited:

Carson

Premium Member
WCA
2008PENT01
Revision History and Known Bugs:

Version 1.01(Final)
  • Averages are now calculated.
  • Various screen orientations/sizes are now supported via the menu.
  • DNF, Delete Last Time, and +2 options are now available in the menu.
  • You can now exit the program... yeah, kinda important.
  • Scramblers added for Pyraminx and Megaminx
  • Devices should stay "on" when the timer is running now. The backlight may dim on some devices, but should not go off entirely.(edit: This is apparently only working on certain devices, I will continue to look into it.)
  • After trying this on a few different custom roms, I see that there are some "theming" issues. If there are odd colors on your device, I will try to get this fixed for the next release.

Version 1.00
  • The timer is now functional. It was a major headache due to the limits of the .net compact framework.
  • Scrambles are still limited to 2x2 - 7x7
  • The backlight will turn off and your phone will go to sleep based on your settings. The only way to avoid this currently is to change your phone's settings. This will be fixed in future versions.
  • Averages are not yet functioning
  • There is no built in way to exit the app. Currently, you must use whatever form of "task manager" your phone has.
  • There are inconsistencies in the name of the app depending upon where you look.

< Alpha
  • The scrambler is functional for 2x2x2 - 7x7x7 cubes. Thanks to qq for letting us use the qqtimer scrambling code and to Dan Cohen for revamping it for C#
  • There is no Timer yet, I am working on it.
  • Ignore the aesthetics please

No version number yet
  • Have "an" initial GUI setup... It is not even close to what it will look like, but it gives me a platform to test the code on.
  • Thanks to Dan Cohen and qq, I have code for the scrambler itself for 2x2 - 7x7. Even it if looks and works like utter doo doo, I will post it here as soon as it's functional so I can get some feedback.

Last edited:

Carson

Premium Member
WCA
2008PENT01
I'd like it to work without a touchscreen (since my phone doesn't have one).

Being designed with the touchscreen phone in mind. However there will be at least some support for non-touchscreen in all likelihood.

wow. i need this!i have to live with simple timers and such. no inspection countdown. 0.o. hate it. will this be VGA and QVGA? that'd be nice. also, will it be for any specific phone? i'm afraid mine is not very up to date.

Being designed for Windows Mobile 6.1 and 6.5. It is doubtful that it will be compatible with any versions prior to that.

The initial release will be for VGA devices. Other screen formats may be supported in a later build.

Hypertext Eye

Will it generate scrambles for different puzzles or solely for 3x3x3? Specifically I'd like to see higher order cubes and megaminx (and square 1 if I ever decide to buy a new one).

One of the issues I have with the scrambler I use now (other than it being java based) is that it doesn't properly scramble even order cubes. A 6x6 scramble might have something like 3R2, 3L2 which basically just rotates the cube and doesn't scramble at all, wasting two turns.

I understand that you're designing it for use with a touchscreen since you are most likely doing this primarily for yourself. I'm curious what phone you have. All of the WinMo phones I've tried had resistive touch, which I really can't get along with.

Carson

Premium Member
WCA
2008PENT01
Will it generate scrambles for different puzzles or solely for 3x3x3? Specifically I'd like to see higher order cubes and megaminx (and square 1 if I ever decide to buy a new one).

One of the issues I have with the scrambler I use now (other than it being java based) is that it doesn't properly scramble even order cubes. A 6x6 scramble might have something like 3R2, 3L2 which basically just rotates the cube and doesn't scramble at all, wasting two turns.

I understand that you're designing it for use with a touchscreen since you are most likely doing this primarily for yourself. I'm curious what phone you have. All of the WinMo phones I've tried had resistive touch, which I really can't get along with.

I have the HTC Fuze through AT&T. Dan Cohen has offered to assist with coding and has the same phone.

The initial release will offer, at the very least, 2x2-5x5 if not more. Support for all official WCA puzzles is planned in the final release.

Windows mobile 6 would work, right? i know some stuff about smartphones, i used to be actively involved in Palm (it's dead now :( ) i don't know much about WM at all.

6.1 and 6.5 will work without a doubt. 6.0 will likely work as well assuming that the latest version of .net Compact Framework is installed.

Hypertext Eye

I've installed it on my phone and it will not run. It gave me an error about .NET Compact Framework. A quick google search provided a download to "upgrade" the framework on my phone. Now I get a whole list of errors. May or may not be related to my phone not being touch capable. I'll try again if you make a nontouch version or when I can get a new phone (not likely anytime soon).

Carson

Premium Member
WCA
2008PENT01
I've installed it on my phone and it will not run. It gave me an error about .NET Compact Framework. A quick google search provided a download to "upgrade" the framework on my phone. Now I get a whole list of errors. May or may not be related to my phone not being touch capable. I'll try again if you make a nontouch version or when I can get a new phone (not likely anytime soon).

What type of phone do you have?

The latest version of the .net framework is required. 3.5

Can you provide me with examples of the errors? I don't have access to a non-touch phone.

maggot

although it not visually appealing, it very quick right now. cant wait to see more!
samsung omnia working great!!!

Last edited:

Carson

Premium Member
WCA
2008PENT01
my screen is small, (i dont know the specifications), so is adjustable screen size possible?

can't wait for the timer function ;)

I'm not exactly sure what you mean. The app currently will run in landscape mode... it just looks really bad. There WILL be support for both portrait and landscape orientations for sure. As far as screen "size" goes, you will have to elaborate.

Hypertext Eye

The latest version of the .net framework is required. 3.5

Can you provide me with examples of the errors? I don't have access to a non-touch phone.

I have a Samsung Blackjack II. It has Windows Mobile 6.1. I installed .net compact framework 3.5 after the first error, so everything should be up to date. I restarted the phone after that and then reinstalled your timer. I'll type out the new error in its entirety.

NotSupportedException

at Microsoft.AGL.Common.MISC.HandleAr(PAL_ERROR ar)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control._InitInstance(WNT wnt, UInt32 dwStyle)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control..ctor(WNT wnt)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button..ctor()
at Timer0117.Timer.InitializeComponent()
at Timer0117.Timer..ctor()
at Timer0117.Program.Main()