• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How do we get people to stop posting in the wrong forum?

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm getting tired of enforcing this already, and we're only going to get flooded more due to Christmas.

Personally, if someone blatantly posts in the wrong forum, I think I'm going to adopt the following policy: send a friendly PM asking them to read the forum descriptions (first time), then a small infraction (second time).

I just want hardware stuff in the hardware forum, silly games out of speedcubing discussion, and puzzle theory free of anything but puzzle theory. Does anyone have any ideas?

Would it be possible to display the forum description at the top of each forum, or even when making a post in a forum?

Also, what about making the security question something that involves understanding where to post questions?

Weston

Premium Member
WCA
2008MIZU01
YouTube
Visit Channel
We could implement a system that lets people "flag" an incorrectly placed thread. Then when enough people flag it, then it could be automatically moved.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Sorry I wasn't clear about what I meant. What I was thinking is that the person has to use a specific keyword, which can be placed in the description. If they fail to do so, their post will be automatically directed to off-topic, or else a new subforum for "idiots who do not know where to post threads" or something.

Cyrus C.

WCA
2010COLA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Could you set it so that a specific word or punctuation had to be in a thread title for it to get posted?

+1.

For example, in how to/guides, you could make it so if the thread title didn't have anything along the lines of tutorial, guide, how to, etc. The person would get a message saying: Are you sure this is the correct sub forum? This sub forum is only for....

Edmund

WCA
2008ROTH03
I think one thing might be how you start a thread. You have to click on the sub-forum to get there. Someone (and I've almost done this) could want to start a new thread on say the New York Open '10. They are looking for how to start a thread and they happen to be on the cube theory page and hit "New Thread". They make it, not thinking "Oh, this is cube theory". So I think on the homepage there should be a new thread button and then a scrolly-thing let's you click which one. There may be another way to start threads like how I just described but I always go to the sub-forum first.

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
Maybe include the forum description at the top of each page? Right next to where the New Thread button is. Also at the top of the page where you compose your new thread. Sure, you'll always have people who don't read (or lack the proper judgement to determine which section their thread goes in), but I think some of the confusion happens because people aren't aware which forum they're in and those are pretty avoidable.

Also, the bits that are bolded text (this is not the place for X discussion).. can we make them in red too?

If you're going the warning/infraction route, use the infraction system rather than PMs for warnings. An infraction worth 0 points is a warning, and it leaves a record on their profile so other mods know whether or not an incident is a first time offense.

And non-mods, we could use your help too. Don't hesitate to report threads that are in the wrong section so we can deal with them.

Last edited:

Carson

Premium Member
WCA
2008PENT01
I'm not sure how much coding would be involved, but the "New Thread" buttons could be replaced with buttons that say, "Start a new thread in the FORUM TITLE forum."

I have the feeling that this would take some creative coding though.

ElderKingpin

YouTube
Visit Channel
just move it, if they did it on purpose, give them a warning, the second time they do it. ban for a week, then ban forever.

If it was by accident, you can choose what to do. since people make mistakes

Zane_C

Premium Member
WCA
2010CARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Can some one please go through M2 edges for me, I'm having a bit of trouble.

I'm just joking, If it is necessary the post should be moved.
I personally think they should get a message then if they continue, ban them for a short period of time. Basically what ElderKingpin has said

Innocence

The only viable idea in my opinion is Weston's. As long as we don't get a lot of noobs clicking the wrong subforum on purpose, it would make sure threads really got moved to the right place.

I think it would work, given the maturity levels on here relative to other forums. Lucas, you complain, but how many other forums have you moderated? It's much worse mostly everywhere else.

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
There should be reminders just before you click make thread, describing the sub-forum, and making it so it posts ten seconds later. BUT! There is a scroll of choices, in case you realise it is the wrong sub-forum. Also what Edmund said about making threads from the homepage.

ElderKingpin

YouTube
Visit Channel
The only viable idea in my opinion is Weston's. As long as we don't get a lot of noobs clicking the wrong subforum on purpose, it would make sure threads really got moved to the right place.

I think it would work, given the maturity levels on here relative to other forums. Lucas, you complain, but how many other forums have you moderated? It's much worse mostly everywhere else.

it is actually much better everywhere else, because there are less people. Theres a giant amount of people that register a day, and for THE FUN OF IT:fp