• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Idea on how to keep "noobs" away from the forum

Cyrus C.

WCA
2010COLA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm sure you have all noticed some "noobs" get into the forums and start making some stupid threads/posts. Usually this gets dealt with by people flaming the "noob" until they learn better or get offended & leave the forum. I don't think this is the best approach. So I propose that instead, after someone creates an account, they have a 1-2 week period in which they can't post or make a thread. This will lead to them lurking the forums & they will get an idea of what to do & what not to do on the forums.

CitricAcid

WCA
2009TALK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
That sounds good, but what exactly is your definition of "noob" are you referring to someone like me, who is relatively new to cubing? Or someone who is an absolute cubing loser, and thinks R' D' R D is solving a cube?

The only flaw in your proposal is that people who know well will be restricted.

-CitricAcid

Cyrus C.

WCA
2010COLA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
That sounds good, but what exactly is your definition of "noob" are you referring to someone like me, who is relatively new to cubing? Or someone who is an absolute cubing loser, and thinks R' D' R D is solving a cube?

-CitricAcid

By noob I meant people who post 10 times a day but don't give any quality input, or make threads they really shouldn't be making yet like " How to get extremly fast at 4x4".

Last edited:

hawkmp4

Like some people that have 700 posts? I don't know that this will help anything. I think the idea was tossed around for a while, but... You can lurk without registering. And if you do know better, not being able to post would be incredibly frustrating. Personally, I'd probably leave and try to find another resource.

Toad

Premium Member
WCA
2009SMIT06
YouTube
Visit Channel

-CitricAcid

By noob I meant people who post 10 times a day but don't give any input, or make threads they really shouldn't be making yet like " How to get extremly fast at 4x4".

I think we could all work out why you made this proposition :)

But yeh I think 1 week of like reading time would be good. But they only get their posting allowance if they're active a little bit during that week...?

Cyrus C.

WCA
2010COLA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
if they're active a little bit during that week...?

That would actually work great, say 2 hours of lurking & then your free to post. Although you're right about some people being frustrated, if they know better they probably already have been lurking a bit, so they won't be waiting forever.

I think we could all work out why you made this proposition :)

Yes that was what tipped the iceberg, but I had been mulling this over for a while.

Last edited:

CitricAcid

WCA
2009TALK01
YouTube
Visit Channel

-CitricAcid

By noob I meant people who post 10 times a day but don't give any quality input, or make threads they really shouldn't be making yet like " How to get extremly fast at 4x4".
I see. Well your proposal does make some sense. However, I agree with hawkmp4, not being able to post would be extremely frustrating. Which is why this type of system is hard to work with. Maybe the forum could have a democratic power to put "noobs" on temporary probation? Which could work, but there is always the possibility that the forum could abuse this power. So it makes it hard to do some sort of limitation.

Maybe we could all try to be kind and show them the way of un-nooby-hood?

-CitricAcid

E

Ethan Rosen

If you weren't a noob you probably would have known that this idea has been thrown around many times in the past.

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Another possibility:

I recently started actively using the German forum. Check out the "Bewertung" numbers of each user:
http://www.speedcubers.de/forum/showthread.php?tid=1926
http://www.speedcubers.de/forum/reputation.php?uid=274

That's a rating where users can rate others and tell them why. And it works, at least for me, I must admit. Made me more friendly than I would've been without (although being new in the community also made me hold off). And maybe noobs will start to think when they collect negative ratings and see others collect positives.

Last edited:

JTW2007

BattsMan
2008WARL01
As I recall, it's been discussed before. What is preventing someone from making an account, abandoning the forums for the lurking period, and then coming back a few weeks later so that they can create innumerable useless threads?

EDIT: Now that I think of it, I really like the rating system that Stefan mentioned. I think that would be far superior to preventing new users from posting.

Last edited:

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
What is preventing someone from making an account, abandoning the forums for the lurking period, and then coming back a few weeks later so that they can create innumerable useless threads?
But that takes rather conscious intention, so mainly die-hard morons would do this and not learn from it. I hope the majority just don't know better and it would work for them.

Yes We Can!

WCA
2009DIEC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Another possibility:

I recently started actively using the German forum. Check out the "Bewertung" numbers of each user:

That's a rating where users can rate others and tell them why. And it works, at least for me, I must admit. Made me more friendly than I would've been without (although being new in the community also made me hold off). And maybe noobs will start to think when they collect negative ratings and see others collect positives.

Although at the German forums, members hardly ever give negativ ratings, because they are too friendly and tolerant (??) sometimes.
I think I have only seen 1 person who got a negative rating result.
It's like in Ebay.. if you are not pleased / don't like the posts, you give a neutral one.

I'm sure it would work on this forum though, since it's more "professional" and the quality of the posts are much better (mostly).

Omniscient

Another possibility:

the rating is not bad idea!!!
What if there is an abuse bad rating :confused:

Cyrus C.

WCA
2010COLA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
What is preventing someone from making an account, abandoning the forums for the lurking period, and then coming back a few weeks later so that they can create innumerable useless threads.

Well if we could work something like mentioned before where they have to spend a certain amount of time lurking before they become a full member, it would prevent people from not lurking. But I like the rating system better.

JTW2007

BattsMan
2008WARL01
What is preventing someone from making an account, abandoning the forums for the lurking period, and then coming back a few weeks later so that they can create innumerable useless threads.

Well if we could work something like mentioned before where they have to spend a certain amount of time lurking before they become a full member, it would prevent people from not lurking. But I like the rating system better.

I'm not sure you understood my question. It is my understanding that you are proposing a system that would force members to be registered for 1-2 weeks before they could post in an effort to encourage them to lurk. I don't see a reason that someone couldn't just create an account, wait without lurking, and then start posting.

Cyrus C.

WCA
2010COLA01
YouTube
Visit Channel

I'm not sure you understood my question. It is my understanding that you are proposing a system that would force members to be registered for 1-2 weeks before they could post in an effort to encourage them to lurk. I don't see a reason that someone couldn't just create an account, wait without lurking, and then start posting.

Yes that is the flaw with it but, if we could find a way to make it so the member must lurk for a certain amount of time or they're account wouldn't be registered.

KConny

WCA
2007LUND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
A rating system sounds good. But might be hard to implement?

Only trusted members, either appointed by the moderators or that's been members for one or two years, can rate users?