Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: How to Make R3 better than DIY

WCA Profile
    2010CHAN03
    YouTube
    dillonblade

Quote Originally Posted by puzzlemaster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ManSkirtBrew View Post
    I just tried this with my el cheapo Rubik's brand. The kind that comes in the plastic clamshell with a stand.

The last step seems to have made the biggest difference. I used a Dremel with a round burr to take the high parts under the centers down.

It smoothed the cube out quite a bit, but it is still tight. My hands are sore from just a few solves. It also doesn't back cut even a tiny bit, which is causing me a lot of lockups.

Any other solutions for loosening these bad boys up?

-Joe
    Throw it at a wall.
    Buy a core and hardware set.
    I'm telling you, well modded storebought cubies with a type A core+hardware
    I have official sub-20 avg :)BLD checklist: Corners: nope. Edges, --owait... i lost >.<

i used to break in store boughts with dirt, but i switched to using comet cleaner, its just abrasive enough. a little messy but it works well

Quote Originally Posted by dillonbladez View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlemaster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ManSkirtBrew View Post
    I just tried this with my el cheapo Rubik's brand. The kind that comes in the plastic clamshell with a stand.

The last step seems to have made the biggest difference. I used a Dremel with a round burr to take the high parts under the centers down.

It smoothed the cube out quite a bit, but it is still tight. My hands are sore from just a few solves. It also doesn't back cut even a tiny bit, which is causing me a lot of lockups.

Any other solutions for loosening these bad boys up?

-Joe
    Throw it at a wall.
    Buy a core and hardware set.
    I'm telling you, well modded storebought cubies with a type A core+hardware
    I thought that most people agreed that C4Y has the best hardware?

WCA Profile
    2010CHAN03
    YouTube
    dillonblade

I wouldn't. I would say that Maru did.

I guess there is no good or bad hardware, but then again, you have to draw a line. There's nothing wrong with Type A hardware, though. I think it's particularly good for my cube. Each Hardware sets should have different "abilites"
    I have official sub-20 avg :)BLD checklist: Corners: nope. Edges, --owait... i lost >.<

WCA Profile
    2010LECA01
    YouTube
    FirefoxFreeze

I guess there is no good or bad hardware, but then again, you have to draw a line. There's nothing wrong with Type A hardware, though. I think it's particularly good for my cube. Each Hardware sets should have different "abilites"
    Reminds me of RPGs!
    FirefoxFreeze/PhoenixDeath Member of the Avengers, the South-California Cubing Group. Moderator at SpeedCubeShop.com TUTORIAL: How to Sub-1 Magic

WCA Profile
    2010CHAN03
    YouTube
    dillonblade

Quote Originally Posted by ~Phoenix Death~ View Post

Reminds me of RPGs!
    Lol, my mind went blank at the time, so thats the only word that could work... at the time.
    Thats why I put quotations lol

I finally found some heavy duty CRC silicone at a local auto parts store. I applied two small shots and holy-poop-on-a-stick is it better! It's like a completely different cube now.

It cuts just over 1/2 of a cubelet now and is smooth and fast. Thanks for the mod!

-Joe