• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Algorithm plugin

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I suggest someone builds a plugin for this forum so that you can write stuff like

Twizzle link 
F R U R' U' F'

or
[alg puzzle=4x4]r u r' u'[/alg]

in your messages and the plugin then shows it to readers as an image/applet.

masterofthebass

Premium Member
WCA
2007COHE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I would suggest using werner randelshofer's applets. We could even get the html source that he uses to generate the applet's HTML code. I would start this, but I have no idea how vBulletin mods work. It doesn't seem to be that hard, except I have no idea how forums really work.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
I will be working on this over Christmas break. And yes, I definitely agree on the image preview, that will be implemented if/when I can get this to work. It should be a nice feature.

deadalnix

WCA
2008SECH01
yes, the net version of the plugin will be configurable by users. They will be able to chose an image like joel do or directly a java applet.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
I've been working on this and it seems to be much harder than expected. I will continue to work on it, but it may be months before I can get it. I will keep researching it.

Deadalnix: I PM'ed you. Let me know if you didn't get the PM. Thanks

deadalnix

WCA
2008SECH01
Ok I was in holyday in my family for christmas.

I send you a PM.

A new version of our mod for the forum include an image before showing the applet. There is no problems of scroll as this.

The images are calculed by a modification of lars vandenberg's imagecube.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Yes, I have. I am still unsure what I need to do with the files you sent me. I need to make some type of custom BBcode, and install Java, but from there, I am not sure where to go.

deadalnix

WCA
2008SECH01
I will send you the new version with somme explication. You will have to adapt the php script because you're using a different forum than me (i use phpBB).

mrCage

Hi :)

What's the progress on the suggested modifications (spoiler/algo) ?? I thought that most BB's had some kind of built in tag extension functionality (part of the admin) ??

-Per

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. I worked on this a lot over the last several months, and I can't figure it out. I posted for help on the vbulletin support forums and they didn't help really at all. I will probably try experimenting with it more soon, once I take care of all the other easier things.

StachuK1992

statue
WCA
2008KORI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Any thoughts on this?

I know that this may be a really bad bump to many, but I think that this would be a GREAT addition to the forums, and would love to see this happen.

Plus, with more people these days, there are more programmers to help with this!

PS-I "found" this thread via the 4x4 OLL Parity Thread, at the bottom...odd

byu

WCA
2009YUBR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks for bringing this back Stachu. I'd be interested in seeing this happen, and possibly even building a part of it, although I don't have too much experience with 3D graphics (I'm fairly good at 2D).

Zaxef

WCA
2009MATH02
Maybe when you type
 Twizzle link 
 RUR'U 

It can just create a link, using that alg on someone else's simulator?
Such as Lucas Garron's? If he allows it of course.

For example.. If you want to do RUR'U' on the scramble
U R2 B' D' B' L2 U2 R' D2 R2 U2 F' B2 U F R2 L2 B2 R F2 R B2 L2 U L'

The link would be
alg.garron.us/?alg=RUR-U-&ini=U_R2_B-_D-_B-_L2_U2_R-_D2_R2_U2_F-_B2_U_F_R2_L2_B2_R_F2_R_B2_L2_U_L-

Notice the ?alg=RUR-U- ... Which means the algorithm that needs to be used is RUR'U' (' becomes -) right..
And &ini=The scramble alg (underscores are spaces, I suggest telling people not to use spaces in their algs to make it simpler.. so it'd look more like this:
?alg=RUR-U-&ini=UR2B-D-B-L2U2R-D2R2U2F-B2UFR2L2B2RF2RB2L2UL-)
But if they insist on using spaces (it does make it look cleaner) then the spaces simply need to be converted into underscores, and uses of the enter button need to be entered as "%0A"

So maybe you could have it set up as
 Twizzle link 
 Title UR2B'D'B'L2U2R'D2R2U2F'B2UFR2L2B2RF2RB2L2UL' Alg
 Moves 
RUR'U'

Where it's
 Twizzle link 
 Title scramble Alg
 Moves 
alg to perform

Then it's just a matter of converting the ' into - and adding the scramble and alg into the link
So you start with http://alg.garron.us/?alg= (insert alg) &ini= (insert scramble)

Then you have to somehow (don't know if it's possible) import the 3D animation onto the board.. If it's really not possible.. it would still create a link right to the alg in question..

Of course all this depends on Lucas' permission to do it, and I don't know that much about board programming so I don't know if it's even possible, but I hope it helps in some way

Edit: From Lucas' source code:

<!-- Lucas Garron, 20090630 -->
<!-- Alg Animation Tool -->
<!-- alg.garron.us (v1.2) -->
<!-- This file may be freely downloaded/modified/distributed, if it is marked as a derivative and the source is attributed.-->
<!-- Applets by Werner Randelshofer (http://www.randelshofer.ch/) -->

Alternatively, you could also implement the code right into the boards (Still using the
 Twizzle link 
 tags) and simply add something to it that attributes the souce (Lucas and Werner)

Last edited: