• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Problem Posting with Chrome?

iSpinz

WCA
2010INKJ01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey,

So when I use chrome to post and other stuff it keeps showing a white screen. And doesn't post or save whatever. It happens when I try to change my avatar, quote other peoples stuff, and PMing people. I can only post with quick reply now on Chrome, this wasn't happening before. Right now i'm using firefox.

Plz help!

gpt_kibutz

Let's try and see if this happens to me...
Edit: No, it was posted without any diffculties... (and w/Chrome btw)

JBCM627

WCA
2006MERT01

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
This happens whenever I have more than 5 tabs open, or have Youtube open in a tab. I once typed a super long comment. (I mean suuuuuupeeeeeer long) and this happened. I have learnt to do Ctrl+A then Ctrl+C to counter this.

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you have issues like this:

- Try to recreate it
- List the steps needed to recreate it
- Post the versionnumber of the software (Chrome) you are using
- File a bug-report when the bug is reproducible

And getting another browser is a workaround, no solution. Can you imagine what would have happened if
a) Most people use Internet Explorer
b) 1 issues exists in Firefox
c) Whenever that issue occured everyone told you to switch to Internet Explorer?

Software gets better by fixing problems, not by ignoring them or working around them

E

Ethan Rosen

get safari! The world's fastest browser:D

That's quite simply not true. Chrome is faster than Safari. Try running both browsers through this test:
http://www2.webkit.org/perf/sunspider-0.9/sunspider.html

The lower number wins btw, and chrome should prove to be quite a bit faster than safari.

Anyway to the OP: I've been using chrome since the first week it came out, and I've never had a problem like yours. I have no clue what the cause could have been, but I doubt it was the browser.

Get Firefox...

:rolleyes:

:D:D
Do it, chrome crashes too often.
I've had far fewer crashes in chrome than in FF.

Edit: I have to agree with AVG here, except for the part about Internet Explorer. IMO, there is no reason for any person to voluntarily use IE.

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
get safari! The world's fastest browser:D

That's quite simply not true. Chrome is faster than Safari. Try running both browsers through this test:

The lower number wins btw, and chrome should prove to be quite a bit faster than safari.

Anyway to the OP: I've been using chrome since the first week it came out, and I've never had a problem like yours. I have no clue what the cause could have been, but I doubt it was the browser.

Get Firefox...

:rolleyes:

:D:D
Do it, chrome crashes too often.

Edit: I have to agree with AVG here, except for the part about Internet Explorer. IMO, there is no reason for any person to voluntarily use IE.
I tried to prevent this browser discussion, but since it didn't work I might as well give my 2 cents:

I like IE because it does what I want it to do on all sites I visit. That should be the only criteria for using a particular browser. (I also use all 4 others I mentioned and like most of them most of the time but I prefer to use IE because it is "Good enough" and works all the time). On this forum I like the keyboard shortcuts that work in IE but don't work in other browsrs (like CTRL+B for bold, CTRL+K for hyperlink, etc)

JBCM627

WCA
2006MERT01
Chrome is faster than Safari. Try running both browsers through this test:

Safari vs Chrome - Chrome clearly is faster.
*4.83x as slow* 1000.6ms +/- 7.2% 4831.4ms +/- 0.7%
Firefox vs Chrome - again, chrome clearly is faster.
*4.77x as slow* 1000.6ms +/- 7.2% 4769.0ms +/- 12.0%

I tried to make sure no other apps were running while one browser was working, so it should be relatively fair. Safari's slowness might be a product of Safari running on windows; I'm not sure if It'd do much better on a mac. Then again, you can't run chrome on a mac for a good comparison.

I've never had chrome itself crash... it handles bad webpages pretty gracefully (about:crash). Its also great for webpages like this (warning: rickroll), since it gives you the option to stop alert dialogs from coming up.

On this forum I like the keyboard shortcuts that work in IE but don't work in other browsrs (like CTRL+B for bold, CTRL+K for hyperlink, etc)
I didn't know the editor on here even did that. Would it be possible to integrate something like ckeditor in the forum? I guess it might be difficult since it uses html instead of block tags. It'd be nice to have that, though.

I do like the keyboard shortcuts best in IE, but I like Chrome's auto-complete feature in the url/omni-bar, which is largely why I use it. My main beef with FF is that it updates every week... annoying as crap.

On topic though, I can't reproduce the posting not working. There is still that error with menus displaying differently, though: http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showpost.php?p=230849&postcount=7

Last edited:

brunson

WCA
2008BRUN01
IE has a history of breaking RFC and W3C standards for the express purpose of using Microsoft's near monopoly position to make web designers code sites in a manner incompatible with standards compliant browsers.