• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Remove "Expert Topics"

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I suggest that we merge the "Intermediate Topics" and "Expert Topics" sections, and rename the whole thing to "Speedcubing" or something similar. We should keep "Puzzle Theory", though.

The reason is that there are not really enough experts, or really expert topics, to justify having a separate expert section. The few experts we do have don't post much, whereas the hundreds of other users are allowed to post there, so it seems to easily get swamped by people who make topics which ought to belong in intermediate or even beginner just because they want answers from more experienced people. I'm talking about stuff like the "where to buy a square one besides china" topic. If there aren't a lot of real expert topics being made, why do we need a section for it? I think that most things experts would want to talk about would belong in Puzzle Theory anyway (since that's the proper place IMO for new methods, mathematical analyses of puzzles, and so on).

As for the intermediate section, I don't like the name (which is why I think it should be changed back to speedcubing). It implies that the people who post or hang out there aren't experts, and considering that it contains the Accomplishment Thread this is pretty annoying to me. Setting a personal record or wanting to talk about methods doesn't imply you're not an expert - there's always new stuff to learn and new events to practice, no matter how much you already know. I'd like to just erase the distinction, and move everything from those topics into a central discussion area for all speedcubing topics.

bwatkins

Im not sure how the "experts" who belong i the expert village will respond to this...but i believe you have a very valid point here.

Kian

WCA
2007BARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is it possible to only allow certain people to start topics in "expert topics." Those who would justifiably be "experts"?

Not sure if that's doable or the best course of action, but it seems like a plausible solution.

elcarc

Banned
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is it possible to only allow certain people to start topics in "expert topics." Those who would justifiably be "experts"?

Not sure if that's doable or the best course of action, but it seems like a plausible solution.
that would suck in a case where someone is not really considered an "expert" by the community, but has alot of helpful info

Kian

WCA
2007BARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel

that would suck in a case where someone is not really considered an "expert" by the community, but has alot of helpful info

Well I'm not suggesting they be banned from posting, just starting threads in the Expert subforum.

And certainly I don't think the "expert" tag should be stagnant. I think people should be able to show they're able to contribute helpful information.

All of this is theoretical of course, and I'm not suggesting it's the best idea, just an idea. And I'm certainly not suggesting I come anywhere near the "expert" title, I wouldn't want anyone to think that. I just think it might make sense.

4Chan

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
What info could a noob possibly offer?

We are talking about cubes here. We've discovered all the effective methods basically, and there isnt much new info out there.

Thats because we have thousands of people looking for faster ways, and they often come to the same conclusions.

A noob isnt going to come up with a revolutionary method that will change anything.

If you look at advanced methods like EG, BH, ZB, they werent created by noobs, but rather "experts".

Logan

Alot of Azure
WCA
2009KELL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Good Idea.

Either that or there should be a requirement to be met to be able to post a thread in the expert or intermediate topics. Similar to our Announcement and Twistypuzzle's Content Moderators topics.

P

PeterV

I'm also with qqwerf. I've been thinking about this for a while and think that a "Speedcubing" and "Beginners" section should suffice. "Puzzle Theory" should remain a seperate topic as well. I don't think an "Intermediate" topic is necessary.

elcarc

Banned
YouTube
Visit Channel

We are talking about cubes here. We've discovered all the effective methods basically, and there isnt much new info out there.

Thats because we have thousands of people looking for faster ways, and they often come to the same conclusions.

A noob isnt going to come up with a revolutionary method that will change anything.

If you look at advanced methods like EG, BH, ZB, they werent created by noobs, but rather "experts".
who said anything about methods, what about cubing experience. a "noob" might have tried something that noone else has tried.

also, i look like a noob becauase i joined today, but ive been cubing for a year so dont label people that quickly

4Chan

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel

who said anything about methods, what about cubing experience. a "noob" might have tried something that noone else has tried.

also, i look like a noob becauase i joined today, but ive been cubing for a year so dont label people that quickly

Youre still very new.
You have little experience with managing cubes as shown in your threads and compared to others, you lack speed and experience. After a year, i was averaging 18s, and your PB is merely 32. I averaged 20s within 4 months.

So, you dont understand the point.
Theres next to nothing that a noob has "tried out" that will revolutionize cubing.

Give me an example if you're so experienced after "a year".
Chances are, you wont.

elcarc

Banned
YouTube
Visit Channel

Youre still very new.
You have little experience with managing cubes as shown in your threads and compared to others, you lack speed and experience. After a year, i was averaging 18s, and your PB is merely 32. I averaged 20s within 4 months.

Theres next to nothing that a noob has "tried out" that will revolutionize cubing.

Chances are, you wont.
im just sayin. also, ive been cubing off and on. and havent really spent anytime trying to get faster. jsut because you said that, i think i will.

TMOY

WCA
2008COUR01
My own advice: don't waste your time with stupid people who call you a noob just because they are faster than you, and keep on experimenting what you want to. If you're lucky you will actually stumble into something new and interesting, and if it doesn't happen, at least you will have learnt a lot about the cube and you'll actually be able to bring good advice to the community.

brunson

WCA
2008BRUN01

Youre still very new.

Chances are, you wont.
At least he's not pretentious.