• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Offensive posts

brunson

WCA
2008BRUN01
This is psychology 101.

Jerks like the guy I just banned are in it for the attention. The more you give it to them, them more they get off on it. Here's how you deal with it:
  1. Use the report button
  2. Ignore them, do not engage them, do not respond to them, do not call them names, do not use profanity
  3. One person post a warning about offensive links
  4. Ignore them
  5. Do NOT quote their post, the tools make it easy to delete all the posts from one person, but if you quote their post you've copied their link
  6. Ignore them
  7. Do NOT reply in kind by posting more offensive links, this will get you banned, too.
  8. Ignore them
See a pattern? Ignore them and they will go away.

Please use the report button for any quoted links or other offensive links.

jms_gears1

Premium Member
WCA
2009MAUP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This is psychology 101.

Jerks like the guy I just banned are in it for the attention. The more you give it to them, them more they get off on it. Here's how you deal with it:
  1. Use the report button
  2. Ignore them, do not engage them, do not respond to them, do not call them names, do not use profanity
  3. One person post a warning about offensive links
  4. Ignore them
  5. Do NOT quote their post, the tools make it easy to delete all the posts from one person, but if you quote their post you've copied their link
  6. Ignore them
  7. Do NOT reply in kind by posting more offensive links, this will get you banned, too.
  8. Ignore them
See a pattern? Ignore them and they will go away.

Please use the report button for any quoted links or other offensive links.

im a genius... wait...

agreed. i think you forgot to ignore them though.

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
Could we maybe add a feature where a post that has been reported more than 3 or 4 times will be hidden from view until a moderator gets around to it? As a recent incident has shown, moderators aren't always around to take care of things.

blade740

Mack Daddy
WCA
2007NELS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Could we maybe add a feature where a post that has been reported more than 3 or 4 times will be hidden from view until a moderator gets around to it? As a recent incident has shown, moderators aren't always around to take care of things.

Last edited:

brunson

WCA
2008BRUN01
I honestly have no idea what the customization of vBulletin is like.

There have been a couple of incidents in just the last 24 hours that would have been non-existent if new joiners couldn't post for the first week after they signed up. I was opposed before but now I see that it definitely sets the low bar for entry into the community. If someone signs up and then never comes back because they can't immediately start a new thread, then I question whether we really wanted them here in the first place. If they're really interested in participating there's a good chance they use that week to peruse the old postings and get a feel for the site.

Somebody please smack me with a large trout, I think I just agreed with Michael Gottlieb. ;)

PatrickJameson

Premium Member
WCA
2007JAME01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey, uh, can you please do the same thing to people who are total noobs?

I mean, sometimes I honestly have a hard time telling whether someone's trolling or just really stupid.

I am definitely in favor for temporarily(or permanently, depending on if they're a repeat offender and the degree of stupidity) banning the stupid. Honestly, even if it's obvious that they're just stupid, and not trolling. They can still lurk and learn how other, non/less-stupid people post. The person banning should, obviously, give them a few examples of why they are being banned and how they can improve.

*sigh*, honestly, I don't know why I'm even bothering posting this. It's been said several times yet little has been done and it seems to be getting worse by the day.

Edit:
I honestly have no idea what the customization of vBulletin is like.

There have been a couple of incidents in just the last 24 hours that would have been non-existent if new joiners couldn't post for the first week after they signed up. I was opposed before but now I see that it definitely sets the low bar for entry into the community. If someone signs up and then never comes back because they can't immediately start a new thread, then I question whether we really wanted them here in the first place. If they're really interested in participating there's a good chance they use that week to peruse the old postings and get a feel for the site.

Somebody please smack me with a large trout, I think I just agreed with Michael Gottlieb. ;)

I see no reason for this. Although this rarely happens, there could be a person not registered who has very valuable information to share to a discussion. By the time this person can post, the conversation would have been over for a while.

Also, what if the person doesn't really care if they participate or not? There's a good chance they'll just wait the week and not even look through the posts.

Last edited:

brunson

WCA
2008BRUN01
Patrick, that's not a bad idea.

I've been reluctant do do any banning for marginal infractions, you (rightly) called me out on an unbecoming reaction I had to some posts early on as a moderator and that made my pendulum swing way over in the opposite direction. Now I'm beginning to see that a temporary ban may not be such a horrible fate for someone that needs to slow down and lurk a bit before posting all over the map.

It's still a hard line to walk, moderators are people, too. We have our good days and our bad days and I'd hate to ban someone just because I my neighbor pissed me off and I was in a foul mood.

StachuK1992

statue
WCA
2008KORI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Patrick, that's not a bad idea.

I've been reluctant do do any banning for marginal infractions, you (rightly) called me out on an unbecoming reaction I had to some posts early on as a moderator and that made my pendulum swing way over in the opposite direction. Now I'm beginning to see that a temporary ban may not be such a horrible fate for someone that needs to slow down and lurk a bit before posting all over the map.

It's still a hard line to walk, moderators are people, too. We have our good days and our bad days and I'd hate to ban someone just because I my neighbor pissed me off and I was in a foul mood.
+1. You know why... :p

But anyway, I agree with banning people for stupidity, but I think a weeklong IP ban would be most appropriate. Longer than that, and we'll get rid of some rather fast cubers, intelligent or not.

Again, I'd like to bring up the point of 'reputation.' Would this *really* be such a bad thing?

StachuK1992

statue
WCA
2008KORI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Again, I'd like to bring up the point of 'reputation.' Would this *really* be such a bad thing?

The only thing with reputation is that I haven't seen any feasible way to implement this without it being a popularity contest.

Also, does this have to do with helping stupid posts or is it just off topic?
helping stupid posts.
We could have an option kind of like the following:

"only show posts from 'positive' users"
"positive" meaning that they have more + 'points' than - points.

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Incidentally, I think the following penalties should be given for bumping old topics (unless it is a useful bump):
- first time, they get a friendly PM as warning, and the topic is closed.
- after that, the person gets temporarily banned, perhaps for a few days to start but increasing with the number of times they do it. The topic is always closed.

It probably sounds a bit harsh but my reasoning is that bumping a very old topic for no good reason (to provide 'advice' to someone who asked a question a year ago, or to ask when a six-month-old meeting/comp is taking place, for instance) is disruptive and annoying.

piemaster

You should walk over here and tell pat directly.

Question: What in the world is a Mack daddy?

WCA
2009ROAC01
Incidentally, I think the following penalties should be given for bumping old topics (unless it is a useful bump):
- after that, the person gets temporarily banned, perhaps for a few days to start but increasing with the number of times they do it. The topic is always closed.

It probably sounds a bit harsh but my reasoning is that bumping a very old topic for no good reason (to provide 'advice' to someone who asked a question a year ago, or to ask when a six-month-old meeting/comp is taking place, for instance) is disruptive and annoying.

Sounds like a great idea. What I was thinking was that threads would automatically close after a period of inactivity, and you could reopen them by sending a PM to a mod, or something.

Johannes91

I think deleting the new post(s) and putting the thread back to where it belongs is better than closing it. It's sometimes very confusing when "recent" threads are actually 3 years old.

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think deleting the new post(s) and putting the thread back to where it belongs is better than closing it. It's sometimes very confusing when "recent" threads are actually 3 years old.
Yeah, but should we still delete all of the posts if there are several? We could tell people not to post in bumped threads, but it's hard to tell because if the thread has been bumped it's not as easy as just looking at the last post. If there are several posts, someone might have actually added something.