• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Signature suggestions.

Novriil

WCA
2009KRUU01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So I have made so many records but they don't fit into those lines.
suggestions:
1) more than 2 lines. 4 at least
2) Different fonts and sizes and colors. it would be cool.
3) Pictures. Need [ img ] tags!! in sig!
There was more but I forgot them :D

And there should be many ranks. Now there are only members, moderators, s-moderators, administrators.
There should be like: Newbie/beginner, intermediate, expert and so on.

And these should be given by other members that can vote under profile for good and bad.

StachuK1992

statue
WCA
2008KORI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
No.
Just have a website, or go to a competition.
I don't really care about what PRs people get, and I really don't think that anyone besides me really cares what times I get.
If someone wants to know, they can either PM me or check the WCA, but I really don't care about times.

Signatures are for either funny phrases or important information that you'd like to share, in my opinion.

Images would be nice, but that would take up space, and thus the pages would take longer to load.

Oh. And I kinda agree with 'ranks,' but only to the degree where people give thumbs up/down to posts, so eventually they're hidden.

Otherwise, people like Stefan would (mistakenly) be 'negative,' because people tend to take him the wrong way, and people like BYU would be super-posotive, because he POSTS TOO MUCH, and each +1 would add up to 123412341234132412.

I almost kinda agree with you on the fonts, but def. not sizes, because people would be obnoxious and make their font sizes 9001 and ~3.14, and that would be really annoying. :/

Last edited:

Johannes91

I agree that 2 lines is too little. Maximum length of 4 lines and 320 characters or so would be good IMHO.

Please no.

And there should be many ranks. Now there are only members, moderators, s-moderators, administrators.

And these should be given by other members that can vote under profile for good and bad.
The problem with this is that many people will take it too seriously. If posting a lot can improve the rank, they'll start doing it.

Sorry if you already started, but use netne.net! It rules!
What?

Zaxef

WCA
2009MATH02
It's not only elitist, it's stupid.
How does posting a lot make you an expert?
There are people (I won't name names, but you can probably think of some) that just post questions constantly and don't answer anything or add any input.. and they would be experts >_>

Novriil

WCA
2009KRUU01
YouTube
Visit Channel
:fp:fp:fp:fp

NOT SPAMMERS!! Other users can vote for them and so. Like in youtube comments or like that. So You can see how many thumbsup has he/she got and so on.

nothing comes from high postcount.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Can you give me an example of something that would require more than 2 lines that is necessary for a signature?

2) Different fonts and sizes and colors. it would be cool.
Different fonts and colors would just make signatures distracting, as would images.

I've thought about having a reputation system. But how would it help? You can judge the quality of the poster by simply reading their posts. You shouldn't need other people in order to judge their quality.

E

Ethan Rosen

I agree with the first point, and strongly disagree with all of the others.

Johannes91

Can you give me an example of something that would require more than 2 lines that is necessary for a signature?
Signatures aren't "necessary", nobody would get hurt even if they weren't allowed at all. But I've seen many good ones that were 3-4 lines and that's not long enough to be annoying, so I don't see a reason to limit it to 2. Even the whitespace in the layout takes more space than that.

TemurAmir

WCA
2009SHAO04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Signatures aren't "necessary", nobody would get hurt even if they weren't allowed at all. But I've seen many good ones that were 3-4 lines and that's not long enough to be annoying, so I don't see a reason to limit it to 2. Even the whitespace in the layout takes more space than that.

Sorry if this is going off topic, but what exactly does your signature mean?

I think we should have ranks, I'm not sure about #1 though. Pictures/images and font size would be annoying...

Carson

Premium Member
WCA
2008PENT01
I hate ranks... I think they should be banned on all forums.

As for the signatures: Pictures would be ok as long as they could be limited to very small dimensions and as long as there were an option in the user control panel to not display them so users with low bandwidth wouldn't have to worry about them. Also, four lines of text would not take up that much space as long as the font size could not be increased. If images were enabled, it would be better to be able to choose only text or only an image so users couldn't combine the two and end up taking up a ton of space.
Really... images would be kind of nice, but I really don't think they would be worth the amount of effort PJK would have to put into coding to make them happen in a way that wouldn't be distracting.

mcciff2112

WCA
2009MCCA01
There really is no need for any of that. In my opinion, long, flashy, signatures would just clutter the forum and make it harder to find the core information people are trying to get. It's just plain distracting. I feel that if it doesn't pertain to the question being asked or the topic at hand, it shouldn't be there at all (I can deal with a line or two of text).

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
I'd rather see whitespace than a bunch of garbage unrelated to the posts. Keep in mind that there may be signatures of 4 lines that aren't annoying, but there are also countless that would be quite distracting, and I guarantee people would take advantage of that. I don't see any reason to allow more than 2 full lines of text. If something takes more than that, I'd suggest finding something shorter.

I would be willing to change this, however, if the majority of the people here agree with you. But I don't see that happening (after the long debate about this awhile back that limited the signature to 2 lines).