• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

A Hybrid method, Roux-Fridrich

Could this be a good method?

• It's the holy grail of methods! I love it, you're a genuis!

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • It's a good method but I'll stick with mine

Votes: 17 20.2%
  • It's an ok method, not horrible like some others but not great

Votes: 26 31.0%
  • Worst method ever, destroy your cube and jump out a window

Votes: 35 41.7%

• Total voters

ChaosWZ

Well ive found (with practice) roux f2b (equivalent to f2l for those who dont know) can be done in like 16 moves easily, at 5 tps thats like barely over 3 seconds (if youre some computer and have no recog delay) add in recognition delay and say 5 seconds at 5 tps. Then fix bad edges, solve the first 2 layers coll epll. I tried it, i average like 25 with fridrich, 33 with roux, with this on the FIRST solve i got 28, not bad fixing bad edges is optional, and coll can be replaced with oll. heres how it works layed out

First 1x2x3 on the left
Second 1x2x3 on the right
Fix the bad edges (easy to learn to do, should take 2-3 seconds)
Solve the first 2 layer(just moving 2 good edges, is that hard? should be done in about 1-2 seconds)
Coll (or if you dont fix bad edges oll)
Epll (or if you dont fix bad edges pll)

Either way it should be a very fast method even at low turn speeds. Good chance of a pll skip (1/12?) and coll isnt necessary you can do cmll then fix bad edges if you already know it

Anyway try it out and tell me what you think, if youre one of those people who hates hybrid methods because theyre never as good as the original, im pretty sure that an xcross isnt a stupid thing or eoll coll isnt stupid because that works nicely.

Johannes91

Well ive found (with practice) roux f2b [..] can be done in like 16 moves easily
If you always solve both blocks optimally and are completely color neutral, the average is about 16. This is the first time I hear anyone call that easy. Some example scrambles and solutions please!

Btw I hope "like 16" didn't mean "actually it's over 20".

Then fix bad edges, solve the first 2 layers coll epll.
Hybrids like this have suggested many times and all experienced Roux users seem to think that it's not good. To me, CMLL and MU-finish feels much more natural and efficient. Have you compared the move counts of your idea and normal Roux?

Good chance of a pll skip (1/12?)
Yup, 1/12.

JTW2007

BattsMan
2008WARL01
I came up with a variant of this a while back, but yours may be faster.

I've used:

First 1x2x3 on left
Second 1x2x3 on right
CMLL
EO for both layers
Permute top and bottom edges into their respective layers (using M' U2 M or M' U2 M2 U2 M')
*Bottom layer may require an opposite edge swap (M2 U2 M2 U2 or U M2 U2 M2 U)*
EPLL

I've gone sub-19 with it, but I had an easy first block. My average using this is about 24 seconds.

I voted for the third option, but I would say that it has the potential to be fast, but Roux is probably superior.

Johannes91

First 1x2x3 on left
Second 1x2x3 on right
CMLL
EO for both layers
Permute top and bottom edges into their respective layers (using M' U2 M or M' U2 M2 U2 M')
*Bottom layer may require an opposite edge swap (M2 U2 M2 U2 or U M2 U2 M2 U)*
EPLL
That's almost normal Roux, you just solve DF and DB instead of UR and UL. Is EPLL somehow better than permuting M-slice? It seems clearly longer and slower to me.

miniGOINGS

That's almost normal Roux, you just solve DF and DB instead of UR and UL. Is EPLL somehow better than permuting M-slice? It seems clearly longer and slower to me.

The M slice is waaaay faster than the U layer edges.

I voted for the third option, but I would say that it has the potential to be fast, but Roux is probably superior.

Heck, even full Fridrich is superior to this.

JLarsen

Premium Member
WCA
2009LARS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
this is not new. this is just the way that lazy people do roux method.

Soo true...:D:D

I'll just say the same thing that I always say when I see someone hybridizing Roux/Petrus with Fridrich. Which is....

The point of both of these methods is to reduces the cube to two layers. Roux reduces to M,U and Petrus to R, U. These steps are both blindingly fast but people seem to shy away from them due to bad edges. Also might I point out that these hybrids always come out during bad edges?

miniGOINGS

The point of both of these methods is to reduces the cube to two layers. Roux reduces to M,U and Petrus to R, U. These steps are both blindingly fast but people seem to shy away from them due to bad edges. Also might I point out that these hybrids always come out during bad edges?

Yea, maybe people should just man up and learn the whole freaking method. :cool:

EDIT: I agree with your "blindingly fast", I just checked and my blocks usually take me 15-20 seconds, my corners about 5 (I'm using 2 look right now) and about 3-7 seconds for the last edges. On my 19.00 PB, I did sub-2 edges, just because I was able to see the orientation, and permutation within milliseconds.

Last edited:

waffle=ijm

Waffo
WCA
2008MANA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Any variation of Roux is not Roux at all. and people who combine a block building method to LBL type method should just not try to hybridize anything.

(Hybridizing has mating involved and you can't just do that. In other words go**** yourself)

@Sn3kyPandaMan- sub-1.5 bad edges :D

JLarsen

Premium Member
WCA
2009LARS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Any variation of Roux is not Roux at all. and people who combine a block building method to LBL type method should just not try to hybridize anything.

(Hybridizing has mating involved and you can't just do that. In other words go**** yourself)

You or me? I know me, and I bet you too. Erik as well. =]. Bad edges are easy poop. Also LOL @ you know what.

waffle=ijm

Waffo
WCA
2008MANA02
YouTube
Visit Channel

You or me? I know me, and I bet you too. Erik as well. =]. Bad edges are easy poop. Also LOL @ you know what.

only smart people highlight ;)
Bad edges just scare so many people.