• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How to be sub 20

coolguy0007

WCA
2014DEYN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
i know full pll and 2 look oll and i have got sub 10 thrice once was reaaaaally easy f2l the other two were pll skips i usually average abt 20 and i get sub 20 all the time so u dont need to know all these algs to be sub 20 but u should learn pll

GLgamer10

WCA
2014LUND02
I have problems doing the cross without looking at it. If I plan it out I still need to look at it. I tried doing it with my eyes closed, but it is not doing it for me. I am still concentrating on the cross pieces and where they need to go and where they are on the cube when I am turning to solve the cross. It would be helpful for some tips on this. I would also like to show some practice solves, but I am not sure how to set up my phone to record at a good angle so you cubers can see.

Future Cuber

I have problems doing the cross without looking at it. If I plan it out I still need to look at it. I tried doing it with my eyes closed, but it is not doing it for me. I am still concentrating on the cross pieces and where they need to go and where they are on the cube when I am turning to solve the cross. It would be helpful for some tips on this. I would also like to show some practice solves, but I am not sure how to set up my phone to record at a good angle so you cubers can see.

Guess im not alone :D

PJKCuber

WCA
2014KULK02
Hey Guys, I average just sub 30 currently and am trying hard to be sub 20.
I have broken down my problems here. Can anyone give me tips
Cross- Highly inefficient. I want to learn advanced cross but having problem memorizing the color scheme because I am CN.
F2L- I get Cross+F2L done in 19 seconds on average. How can I improve lookahead?
OLL- 2LOLL
PLL-2LPLL, currently learning full PLL
What can I do to improve?

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have problems doing the cross without looking at it. If I plan it out I still need to look at it. I tried doing it with my eyes closed, but it is not doing it for me. I am still concentrating on the cross pieces and where they need to go and where they are on the cube when I am turning to solve the cross.
Try to track an F2L corner piece while you solve cross with eyes closed. Concentrating on that forces you to not concentrate on the cross (and makes it 10x harder IMO :)).

Rocky0701

WCA
2014MCEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
For practicing BLD crosses, if you can't do all four edges, just try doing two, then three until you are able to do all four quickly. It just takes some practice.

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi guys,
My averages Ao5 to Ao50/100 are currently between 23-26 approx. I'm trying to get to sub-20 Ao12/50 and not just "once in a while sub-20".

I have read almost all this thread and it is full of good advice (look ahead, etc.) but I want advice in a particular issue.

I learned full OLL (almost, around 52 cases) and full PLL (21, including Gs) but I fear either or both of the following is happening:
- I am too slow executing OLL / PLL algs
- I have some very bad PLLs

So I timed an Ao15 or so for what I feel are my 3 worse & best PLLs. Here are the results and, hence I seek advice:

3 worst PLLs
Nb: Avg.: 4.00, Best: 3.24, Alg.2: R' U R U' R' F' U' F R U R' F R' F' R U' R
Na: Avg.: 4.50, Best: 3.62, Alg.2: L U' L' U L F U F' L' U' L F' L F L' U L' (mirror of Nb)
V : Avg.: 4.30, Best: 3.59, Alg.5(v3): (y) r' F R F' r U r' F R' F' r U2 R U2 R'

3 best PLLs
H : Avg.: 2.90, Best: 2.24, Alg: M2' U M2' U2 M2' U M2'
Aa: Avg.: 2.40, Best: 1.95, Alg: l' U R' D2 R U' R' D2 R2 (x')
Ub: Avg.: 1.90, Best: 1.73, Alg: R' U R' U' R' U' R' U R U R2

Thanks!!!

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
First thing: slow down and look ahead; it always helps, even if your F2L is already good.
- I am too slow executing OLL / PLL algs
- I have some very bad PLLs
To solve the first problem, drill your algs. Find which ones are slowest and repeat them again and again, trying to get them faster. Look at algdb.net to see if you can find better algs for the cases you don't like.
To solve the second, once again, look at algdb.net. It's a great website where you can see how popular algs are, which makes it easy to see which is best. You'll definitely want to find a better V perm from there; you can look past the first few algs on there too. Even if only one or two people use it, it could be good!

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
First thing: slow down and look ahead; it always helps, even if your F2L is already good.

To solve the first problem, drill your algs. Find which ones are slowest and repeat them again and again, trying to get them faster. Look at algdb.net to see if you can find better algs for the cases you don't like.
To solve the second, once again, look at algdb.net. It's a great website where you can see how popular algs are, which makes it easy to see which is best. You'll definitely want to find a better V perm from there; you can look past the first few algs on there too. Even if only one or two people use it, it could be good!

So, do you think my V-perm is bad? I will certainly look for a new alg for that. I have also looked in the speedsolving wiki PLL database and found a new alg for Na that I saw in a video (the guy was doing 1.11!!!). I just learned it yesterday and I'm already in the same times than with my old left-handed Na. The new alg is: (z) (U R' D R2 U' R D')2. I will perhaps change if I see that I can get faster with it in a couple of days.

And regarding whether my F2L is good or not I split-timed some solves and here are the results. The times are a bit bad for me but the fact to think of hitting space bar between stages and taking one hand off the cube was hindering me, I guess. I also removed any solve with OLL/PLL skips to see the real best OLL/PLL solve:

-------Cross----F2L----OLL----PLL---Total---
best: 1.64 11.96 2.66 3.20 22.77
worst: 4.76 17.53 6.23 8.22 30.02
avg: 2.95 14.40 4.14 5.15 26.64
std: 25.9% 11.2% 19.7% 26.9% 7.2%

So any area that needs special improvement or am I just slow at everything? :)

KFcuber

WCA
2014FANO01
Hi everyone,

First of all this is gonna be my first post in this forum (and my english is not very good sorry :( )

I am averaging 17-21 currently and I am trying hard to become sub17 every ao5.
I broke my ao100 with 19.42 yesterday(first sub20 ao100 very happy) ,broke my single (11.48 pll skip lucky solve ) and ao5 with 16.77 great days and solves for me
My problems are cross, lots of rotations and plls
I still don't know the color scheme and sometimes I couldn't see the 4th piece of the cross
At most of the solves I do 3 rotation and this problem slow me down. When I try to do less rotation (2 or 1) things got worse (20-24 seconds)
And lastly I just know 13 PLL I also think some of my algs don't fit to me

I am waiting your suggestions

Thanks for everyting...

hanteng

Improvement To Sub 20

Hi guys,need help on 3x3 here:)!I use CFOP method (4 look)and my current PB is 19.8,other than that i average around 30
.However i have seen people solve faster than me with 4 look ,like around 15s.How can i achieve that?Thx!

Rnewms

WCA
2013NEWM01
Watch some example solve videos and take note of the cross and F2L stages. There are many tricks to preserving pairs and setting up other pairs while solving a different pair.

While you solve one part, be sure to look around for what comes next so you don't have to pause during the solve. Practice solving with slow turns so you don't stop turning throughout the solve and gradually speed up with practice.