• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Non-Cubers say the darndest things!

rubikmaster

WCA
2011JANE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
My best friend asked me about my colored lunhui . He thought it was cheap and nasty fake because it didn't have stickers and it wrote dayan on it's logo. It took me ages for me to explain to him that dayan cubes are better(way better) than rubik's brands. And yet, he still thinks that i'm too cheap to buy rubik's brand cubes because they are pricier...
LOL,well I guess I'm lucky then.Most of my friends from school do know the difference between good and bad cubes and brands.I just say like: This is Dayan,Alpha-V,F-II,...it turns fast,has great corner cutting,way better than Rubik's and stuff like that and my friends seem to get it all.:p

evogler

WCA
2012VOGL01
Since it's showing up around the web, a whole host of kind folks on various non-cubing websites have been nice enough to explain that Marcell Endrey's 28.80 blindfold record is actually stupid, because there's an algorithm you can do that solves the cube no matter what its initial state is, so the blindfold doesn't even matter. Thanks for clearing that one up, guys!

BlueDevil

WCA
2011LOWR01
I was talking with some kids about cubing in school today. The topic of learning how to solve the cube came up, and people said they didn't have the patience or time to learn. I told them that it really only takes a few hours to get a beginner's method down. Then this one kid says:
"I once looked up how to solve a cube, but there's like a ton of logarithms that you have to learn!"
—No wonder why people think it takes math to solve a cube

BrainOfSweden

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Wow, logarithms. There is quite a lot of math behind the Rubik's cube but non-cubers don't understand that you do not need any of that math to actually solve the cube.
I think they confuse algorithms with logarithms. They word themself are similar, but the actual thing :p I also heard that before I had started cubing, a guy I knew a little teached one of my friends how to do it, and she kept talking about those logarithms xD I had never solved a cube back then, but I was pretty sure that she would be better of using algorithms ;)

hyunchoi98

WCA
2012CHOI04
YouTube
Visit Channel
LOL,well I guess I'm lucky then.Most of my friends from school do know the difference between good and bad cubes and brands.I just say like: This is Dayan,Alpha-V,F-II,...it turns fast,has great corner cutting,way better than Rubik's and stuff like that and my friends seem to get it all.:p

Your friends seem to be cubers.

WCA
2009SHEE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Actually, that's one of the sensible posts, and is a valid proof (I think, I'm tired but I reckon it covers everything) of why there isn't one algorithm which will solve the cube from any state (not that anyone here actually needs a formal proof).

BrainOfSweden

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Those comments where fun to read. But what is this guy trying to say? xD
Ralfo said:
I once had a friend, who could solve the cube really fast but i had two small cubes, so I took them apart, an put them together with one color with 10 sides and one color with 8 sides each, just exchanged two pieces. Later I gave one of them to my friend. I never forgot his face, when he tried to solve it harder, and harder,…

ZamHalen

In your kitchen.Where do you keep your toaster?
WCA
2014ZAMO01
YouTube
Visit Channel

insane569

WCA
2011LUEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah. World record at doing something a machine could do in half the time.

The purpose of the Rubik’s cube was to solve the puzzle with, you know, a bit of intelligence, foresight and mental skill. Not to twist it around in a known set of patterns until you solve the puzzle through no real skill of your own.

Or would you similarly go ga-ga over world record bowel movement competitions simply because it has “world record” in the title?

Yeah, it’s so amazing when people “solve” things by performing a set of known, mechanical movements without looking at what they’re doing, or, in fact, engaging in any thought or problem solving at all.

So amazing.

Sometimes I feel like hurting these people. But then I remember that they're not as smart as me so it's infair that I will succeed in life and they won't. Non-cubers/the world make me laugh so much.

insane569

WCA
2011LUEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Some of it is understandable, but not that what you quoted.
For example, when people ask "Don't you get bored of solving that over and over again?" is like asking "Don't you get bored playing video games all day?". Things like "There is a patter that you do and it solves that rubix cube every time." is just ridiculous.

Yea it annoys me when some one says some thing along the lines of "It's the same thing over and over again". Until they learn to solve it they will never understand.

ZhanChiboy

BAD POINTS:
1: My Classmate Begs DESPERATELY to borrow my magic (Rubiks. What if it was a Ghosthand?) and says "Can I borrow your rubiks magic? I'll buy you a new one!" "Pleaase!" "Come on man!"

2: One of my classmates stole one of my cubes O.O

3: I came a cross a girl my age after school, and she solved my cube (Zhanchi, Beginners method). Thought she was a non-cuber. Very uncommon to find ppl who actually knows how to solve the cube.

QUESTION: How would I answer "How do you solve it? Is there a strategy?"

applemobile

I like to do slowed down solves and make up bull honkie maths to go along with it. I.e, explain how the corners are divisibles of 8, yet the middle pieces are divisible of 12. So you need to find teh square route of the corner times the middle piece, in this case being 9.8, so from this we need to bring the corner up just under 10% of a full rotation, to bring the f2l pieces into their slot. People will soon think you are a genius and walk away.

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I like to do slowed down solves and make up bull honkie maths to go along with it. I.e, explain how the corners are divisibles of 8, yet the middle pieces are divisible of 12. So you need to find teh square route of the corner times the middle piece, in this case being 9.8, so from this we need to bring the corner up just under 10% of a full rotation, to bring the f2l pieces into their slot. People will soon think you are a genius and walk away.

You, sir, are a bad person.