• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Computer cube Sub-forum?

WCA
2008SMIT04
YouTube
Visit Channel
This might be a silly idea, but on the twistypuzzles forum, I saw this huge GelatinBrain thread with solving methods and a sort of accomplishment thread in one. Maybe it's an idea to have a whole sub-forum, where we can share methods, have a "Computer cube Accomplishment Thread", and maybe tutorials and algorithm collections?

Tell me what you think :D

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Actually, I have to admit this would not be a bad idea. It could be a sub-sub-forum of the speedcubing sub-forum or something.

fanwuq

WCA
2008FANW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm against this. I have not seen any existing posts asking about speedsolving rare gelatinbrain puzzles. It would be more dead than the OH forum. Solving methods should be similar to real puzzles and could fit under speedcubing, guides, or puzzle theory. Keyboards, mouse, and software could fit under hardware area. Why are computer speedcubing accomplishments different from speedcubing accomplishments?

Last edited:
WCA
2008SMIT04
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm against this. I have not seen any existing posts asking about speedsolving rare gelatinbrain puzzles. It would be more dead than the OH forum. Solving methods should be similar to real puzzles and could fit under speedcubing, guides, or puzzle theory. Keyboards, mouse, and software could fit under hardware area. Why aren't computer speedcubing accomplishments different from speedcubing accomplishments?
Someone's using a double denial :rolleyes:

Anyway, as I said, on the twistypuzzles forum there's a huge thread about gelatinbrain. It's really active, and I thought maybe we could have one too. Then I realized that thread is pretty inconvenient, so I thought we could have a sub-forum. We could also stuff the Computer Cube competitions in it, and it might just make more people try computer cubes.

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
If there were going to be a huge thread about gelatinbrain on Speedsolving, someone would have made it already. As I see it now, I don't see many discussions on computer cubes as it is. I agree with fanwuq, it would be deader than the OH forum.

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm against this. I have not seen any existing posts asking about speedsolving rare gelatinbrain puzzles.
That's probably because the number of people on speedsolving who care about speedsolving computer puzzles is very small. Besides, since this is speedsolving and not twistypuzzles, we tend to be more interested in solving popular puzzles for speed than in solving rare puzzles for the challenge.

Solving methods should be similar to real puzzles and could fit under speedcubing, guides, or puzzle theory. Keyboards, mouse, and software could fit under hardware area. Why are computer speedcubing accomplishments different from speedcubing accomplishments?
Solving methods are indeed similar but many computer puzzles simply do not exist in real life (this is why I started computer puzzling and it is still a motivating factor). Keyboards, mouse, and software do NOT belong in the hardware area because nobody uses those for physical cubes. Computer speedcubing accomplishments are different than speedcubing accomplishments in the same way 3x3 and 3x3OH are different - it may be the same puzzle, but you need different strategies and specialized practice to get good at doing it in the new way.

Personally, I don't think we need a computer cubes forum here, but the reason is not that it would be redundant but rather that very very few people on speedsolving care about computer puzzles. I think I'm the only one out of the top gelatinbrain solvers (looking at the 'number of puzzles' ranking) who regularly posts here.

E

Ethan Rosen

I feel that that forum would be pretty dead. The reason the GB thread is so big on TP is because a lot of people there are interested in far more than just speed, but are instead interested in solving a puzzle with as little help as possible. I've actually considered making a similar thread here, but then I realized that a vast majority of posters on this site rely on video tutorials for everything. I think that the thread would really just be a few people posting accomplishments, and a few people asking for a video tutorial.

I also feel that if there was to be an entire subforum about computer cubing, a vast majority of it would be threads about the heise simulator, and obviously those puzzles need no extra discussion.

I think I'm the only one out of the top gelatinbrain solvers (looking at the 'number of puzzles' ranking) who regularly posts here.

-The person 4th in move count records and 7th (about to be 6th) in time records
(jk, I know that I'm not even close to the level that people like you or Julian are on.)

fanwuq

WCA
2008FANW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Keyboards, mouse, and software do NOT belong in the hardware area because nobody uses those for physical cubes.
But we all want the fastest and most responsive spacebars to shave a hundredth of a second off our solving times! :p
Also, I think I do recall some threads about CCT or Jnet in the hardware area.

Computer speedcubing accomplishments are different than speedcubing accomplishments in the same way 3x3 and 3x3OH are different - it may be the same puzzle, but you need different strategies and specialized practice to get good at doing it in the new way.

I meant that it is appropriate to post any of these accomplishments in the accomplishments thread.

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think I'm the only one out of the top gelatinbrain solvers (looking at the 'number of puzzles' ranking) who regularly posts here.

(jk, I know that I'm not even close to the level that people like you or Julian are on.)

Well, you're not on the most puzzles solved list :p

E

Ethan Rosen

Well, you're not on the most puzzles solved list :p
I actually once was, true story
That was back in the days when you could get on with 35

LNZ

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
It is true that there are puzzles can can be solved on a computer but not on a real life equivlent. Such examples include the 20x20x20 cube and 1x2x30 floppy cube.

But solution methods are almost the same as real life puzzles in most cases. you'd solve a 20x20x20 computer cube by almost the exact method as for a real 4x4, 5x5 and 7x7 cube.

So we don't need a special sub forum into computer only puzzles.

And if Verdes does relase all his cubes in time, then we can say even a 11x11x11 cube can be solved with a real life puzzle.

Having said that, computer only puzzles are useful. My only recorded time for the 6x6 cube was obatined using Gabbasoft.

E

Ethan Rosen

It is true that there are puzzles can can be solved on a computer but not on a real life equivlent. Such examples include the 20x20x20 cube and 1x2x30 floppy cube.

But solution methods are almost the same as real life puzzles in most cases. you'd solve a 20x20x20 computer cube by almost the exact method as for a real 4x4, 5x5 and 7x7 cube.

So we don't need a special sub forum into computer only puzzles.

And if Verdes does relase all his cubes in time, then we can say even a 11x11x11 cube can be solved with a real life puzzle.

Having said that, computer only puzzles are useful. My only recorded time for the 6x6 cube was obatined using Gabbasoft.

There are MANY puzzles that exist on the computer that cannot be solved simply by knowing how to solve existing physical puzzles. Not all puzzles are nxmxl face turners.

LNZ

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
No. I don't have one. As I can't really speed cube really fast. I could enter competitions if I just went to have fun and enjoy myself. And the only event I could possibly enter in this capacity is the 3x3x3. I have a PB of 1:20 and an average of 2:00 for the 3x3x3.

I have just got my PB for th 5x5x5 (9:40) just inside the 10:00 cutoff and my 4x4x4 time (6:10) is way too slow to be decent.