• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What event would you like to become WCA official?

Multiple choice! Vote for the events you would like to be WCA official.

• Total voters

stuvalt309

WCA
2009CHAN02
If the WCA would add another event for which people could compete for, which event do you want it to be?
Skewb Solve? 2x2 one-handed? How about Pyraminx Crystal? Would bandage cube work?

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
This will have all sorts of silly answers, but I will give something I'm actually semi-serious about. Earlier this year, Takao suggested that we do square-1 BLD. I like the idea.

I want to try out my idea for square-1 BLD, but I'm just not sufficiently motivated at the moment to work on it. If it became an official event, I'd definitely work on it. And I really do want to learn it someday.

And after all, Takao is the man. :)

E

Ethan Rosen

If I were to vote on a puzzle to add to the WCA, I'd probably go for skewb or pyraminx crystal.

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
Silly answers aside, I'd like to see Skewb as an official event. I don't own a Skewb and I don't know how to solve one (yet), but I feel it's more deserving as an official event than certain other puzzles that are official.

Bob

Premium Member
WCA
2003BURT01
2x2, and anything to do with it, should be removed, not added.

I was just about to say something about that. There is too much luck in that puzzle. Odds of skipping a (first) layer are something like 0.1%. That means approximately 1 in every 1000 solves (or about 1 in every 300 competitions), somebody gets a scramble that is just a CLL? Math might be off, but I don't feel like doing the calculation right now.

blade740

Mack Daddy
WCA
2007NELS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm big on skewb. It's fun, quick, easy to learn but (somewhat) difficult to master, easy to obtain, widely owned, and different from current competition puzzles.

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This will have all sorts of silly answers, but I will give something I'm actually semi-serious about. Earlier this year, Takao suggested that we do square-1 BLD. I like the idea.

We tried it at SF09. IIRC Takao got all DNFs. Bad idea.

Also, if you think about it, square-1 BLD necessitates tracing the positions through cubeshape. What that means is that times are HIGHLY variable - if you take 10 minutes for an easy cubeshape you might take 30 for a hard one. So I don't think it would make a good event because, like 2x2 single, the only way to get a decent time will be to get a lucky scramble.

Same thing for 2x2 BLD, by the way. If you get a sufficiently easy scramble, anyone good will be able to get a time that's normally impossible. So then instead of being an event where the WR has a possibility of being broken any comp (which is what it should be!), you have to wait for a competition with a good scramble.

Also, 1000th post.

Last edited: