• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Google for the search function

KubeKid73

Those are great. As long as the results stay in the current format. The search results for those are usually annoying, I think. I might be mixing it up with something else, but probably not.

holypasta

Woodrow_wilson_signature.png

(my signature on the petition)
(not really my signature)
(that's actually Woodrow Wilson's signature)

Chuberchuckee

A) He served during World War I, long before the internet and Rubik's cubes.
B) He's a non-interventionist (America did not join WWI until 1917, or three years after it started in 1914).
C) He graduated from Princeton University here in New Jersey, so he's too cool to sign this petition.

Ellis

WCA
2008HALL02
Or
signature-742855.jpg

I could go either way on the topic though. Doesn't make much difference to me since I don't use the search function :D

Edit- Ok that was a joke, I do use the search function, but I'm not unhappy with it. It does what I want it to do with very little problems.

Last edited:

coolmission

WCA
2009SPAN01
Another advantage of using the Google Search is that you can actually make some revenue. This can help with the server costs :) I have managed to make more than 100$ with ads and google search. We should definitely look into this.

bundat

Can we get a Custom Google Search Engine to replace the current search engine? It will be a lot more powerful and useful.

I don't like it.
Google search usually isn't as thorough as a built-in search, and usually misses a few things, usually which is what I'm searching for.

I don't think it will have the capability to do the searches I usually do, like:
- search posts by certain username
- search for threads started by a certain user
- search for new posts since my last visit
- search only topic titles
- search only within a given date range
- search only specific sub-forums
etc.

Last edited:

bundat

Both is fine. I just opposed the idea to "replace", which is why I bolded it.

For example, the Cheat Engine forum did this, and now I can't find what I need there even if my life depended on it.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
This is in the works, don't worry ;). The existing search will remain in place for existing features, but the primary search for the site will be powered by Google. As far as ads making money, that would be irrelevant to this decision.

Kian

WCA
2007BARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
A) He served during World War I, long before the internet and Rubik's cubes.
B) He's a non-interventionist (America did not join WWI until 1917, or three years after it started in 1914).
C) He graduated from Princeton University here in New Jersey, so he's too cool to sign this petition.

1) haha that's a misleading way to say it. "Serving in world war I" might make some people think he fought in it.
B) though he campaigned on "he kept us out of war", i'm not sure i would really call him an interventionist by standards of the time. he is in contemporary times, but having guys like Calvin Coolidge after him make the professor seem like a war hawk.
C)Yes he did, but that conclusion is debatable. Cool people go to Rutgers (Bob is with me on this). Also, Wilson was a power grabbing jerk. We can trace much of modern presidential growths in power to him. TR, FDR, and Lincoln should certainly be included in that discussion as well.