• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The Guimond Method is Genius!

FrankLZ

So I just found and figured out the Guimond Method for the 2x2x2 (on Erik's page) and I am just amazed at how brilliant it is!

Its simple elegance is exactly what I love about the Rubik's cube :)

I say Guimond has to be a genius for figuring that out and should be given some sort of award.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I agree too - it is truly amazingly brilliant. It's a pity it seems to have driven an alienstranger insane. :)

What does this mean :)

Alienstranger was the nickname on the Yahoo! group of a person who created a bunch of, shall we say, unusual videos. This is a good example of them, although perhaps it is a bit more coherent than some of them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVuFxAjYw1Q

It appears that alienstranger is actually Guimond himself, although I guess that's never been conclusively proven.

fanwuq

WCA
2008FANW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I agree too - it is truly amazingly brilliant. It's a pity it seems to have driven an alienstranger insane. :)

What does this mean :)

Alienstranger was the nickname on the Yahoo! group of a person who created a bunch of, shall we say, unusual videos. This is a good example of them, although perhaps it is a bit more coherent than some of them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVuFxAjYw1Q

It appears that alienstranger is actually Guimond himself, although I guess that's never been conclusively proven.

That's a crazy video!
See 5:50
Rubik's Drug addict
See 6:30
It shows an example solve while some random people are fighting, then
"Wery nice, Gaetan! Your method is cruel!"
--Kenneth.
The peoples fighting moves did kind of resemble cube turns!

It's quite funny. I enjoyed. Nice WTF2L sense of humor.

Who is this?
(turn off your sound)

This channel is mentioned in one of Guimond's videos.

Last edited by a moderator:

Weston

Premium Member
WCA
2008MIZU01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Although guimond sounds very interesting, I don't see how it could be much faster than ortega, yet it has more algorithms to learn. I'll stick with ortega.
It all depends on the scramble. Ideally, both methods should be 2-look but Guimond generally has a lower move count.

MistArts

Although guimond sounds very interesting, I don't see how it could be much faster than ortega, yet it has more algorithms to learn. I'll stick with ortega.
It all depends on the scramble. Ideally, both methods should be 2-look but Guimond generally has a lower move count.

I believe that Guimond uses more half turns and is harder to inspect far into the solve than Ortega.

DavidWoner

The Punchmaster
WCA
2008WONE01
YouTube
Visit Channel

I believe that Guimond uses more half turns and is harder to inspect far into the solve than Ortega.

I think you guys should spend a while actually using guimond before you make judgments about the method.